So I decided to get a new guitar ....after a lot of thought I decided to go for the Ibanez 700 pb ..the thing is the pickups on it are no good and i'm gonna be replacing them.

I'm looking for a set up that will give me a wide rage of tones ...
So since the guitar has a HSH setup, I'm thinking of getting humbuckers
with coil tapping.

I had a look at the dimarzio website, but there are a lot of pickups on there
and I have no clue which ones to pick.

Any suggestions on what I should get ?

Is there some sort of rule on picking pickups (on the dimarzio site
each pickup has graphs for bass, middle and treble)
So should I be getting pickups with a specific bass middle and treble combination
for the bridge as opposed to the neck ?
maybe. there are no hard and fast rules, and it depends somewhat on personal preference (whether you prefer a bright or warm bridge pickup, ditto neck pickup, etc. etc.), but there are also some combos which'd be pretty much universally horrid at the same time.

Bit like guitar tone- you'll never get everyone to agree on what's good tone, but you can probably get a lot of people to agree on what bad tone is

what's the 700pb? i should know what it is but i can't think of it offhand...

what's your amp?

EDIT: what range of tones? there are different kinds of versatility, depending on which tones are most important. For example if a mainly-metal player wants something more versatile than usual he/she probably wants a different pickup than a mainly-blues player...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 19, 2011,
hey ...oops i meant Ibanez 770pb (http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S770PB)
My amp is a peavey valve king112
As far as the range of tones is concerned I dont play any hardcore metal,
I mostly plain some stuff that requires high gain (influenzed by players
like petrucci and satriani), but at the same time I'm also into warm jazz and blues
tones (eg. john mayer, eric clapton)
i really dont think you'll need a coil split... i find it useless especially if you have the single coil in the middle. if u like petrucci, put his pickup in the bridge, the dimarzio crunch lab. it can be oriented 2 different ways so u can alter the sound a little. i had an x2n in a previous guitar and absolutley loved it. its sitting on my desk and i wish i had another guitar to put it in. for the neck, i would reccomend an evolution. same pup steve vai uses. just a versatile, medium power pickup that will clean up real nice. then any of the dimarzio area pickups for the middle. they are real bright, clean pickups and they are hum canceling so u won't get that annoying single coil feedback.

try this, http://www.dimarzio.com/pickup-picker. should help u a little bit
the pickup picker is pretty much useless, i'd stay away from it... even when i go out of my way to ask for completely different tones for completely different guitars, it often recommends the same pickup.

all it basically tells you is that the tone zone is awesome for EVERYTHING, which is clearly BS.

For that kinda stuff I wouldn't go with anything too hot in the bridge- granted petrucci uses a hotter bridge, but it's not really necessary and all the other stuff would benefit from lower output pickups if you ask me (even vai, who uses evos, used paf pros in the past and they sound pretty "vai" too despite being a lot lower in output).

you might as well get 4 conductor pickups for the in-between positions... they sound a bit better split in that position that not, if you ask me.

Personally i'd consider something like the norton or air zone in teh bridge (i haven't tried either of those, i'm just going by what i've heard and what i know generally about pickups), paf (if you're after more vintage tones), air norton (sort of in-between, and like warmer tones) or paf pro (sort of brighter, shreddier neck pickup tones) for the neck, and then probably one of the virtual vintages for the middle position (assuming you want a vintage-style single coil tone from the middle pickup). I'm guessing the areas, as mentioned above, would work too, but i haven't tried them.

Again, it's up to you. If you think a specific pickup would work for what you want, then go for it.

EDIT: steven seagull is the resident dimarzio expert... he might be worth a PM... he certainly knows more about dimarzios than i do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 19, 2011,
if you can buy it in a 4-conductor version, you can coil split it, yeah. EDIT: just checked the dimarzio site, it says 4 conductor, so you should be able to split it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bridge pup - steves special
middle pup - hs-2
neck pup - breed
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp: