Hi all,

Sorry for the title which isn't that explicit. Here's my question: I want to buy an epiphone LP standard. On thomann.de which is the website I'll be ordering it, there are 2 guitars at the same price, and I really would like to know what there differences are... Here are the links:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lp_standard_plain_top_hb.htm
and second guitar:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lp_1958_plain_top_hcs.htm

I dunno if it will help, but I play mostly pop punk stuff, you know, not songs with overcomplicated solos or stuff like that.

Anyway I'd be very grateful if someone could help me, it's a lot of money, and I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Thanks !
the cherry one looks like clownburst, lol.

obviously it might just be the photo.

but yeah, from the looks of things (i'm not epi afficionado, so don't quote me) the only difference is the colour.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^I have NEVER seen an Epi cherry sunburst that didn't look like a clownburst.
Well thank you for your answers guys, I really appreciate it ! I think I'll go with the first one, it looks pretty attractive. I've read good reviews on the web. I know it's not a gibson, but for now I can't afford one and I can't wait anymore to get an LP style guitar
Thanks again !

Quick edit: I've found the Epiphone LP Standard Plus for 60 euros more, does it really worth the extra amount of money ?
Last edited by green41 at May 19, 2011,
The 1958 is speced out to what the 1958 LP standerd was the other is a modern day version of the standard. They might have diff fretboard radius, electonics, body deminsions may be a cm diff hear or there.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by green41
Well thank you for your answers guys, I really appreciate it ! I think I'll go with the first one, it looks pretty attractive. I've read good reviews on the web. I know it's not a gibson, but for now I can't afford one and I can't wait anymore to get an LP style guitar
Thanks again !

Quick edit: I've found the Epiphone LP Standard Plus for 60 euros more, does it really worth the extra amount of money ?

no, not at all.

with epiphones, higher end ones usually aren't any better in any way other than cosmetics. an LP standard is just a good a guitar as the plus top or plain top, but for less money. if you aren't too picky about looks, save yourself some money and go with a basic standard
Quote by al112987
^I have NEVER seen an Epi cherry sunburst that didn't look like a clownburst.

haha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
those bursts that look sorta like a clown...

(Invalid img)

instead of a nice gradual change in colour...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've seen that happen with all brands. I believe it is just a problem with photographing intense colours, without odd color adjustment the difference between them gets exaggerated. Those blue burst Epiphones look that way in photos too with the middle being light green and the outside a strong dark blue but in person they're a more even blue all over.
i don't think it's a problem with the photography, i think it's a problem with the paint shop

I don't think people would complain so much if their guitar only looked like crap in a photo...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its not a problem with photography, they look like that in person too. Walk into a room full of them and you'll swear you're in McDonalds.

non-clown burst cherry sunburst looks like this:
Last edited by al112987 at May 20, 2011,
yeah definitely.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
that's a nice burst.

as far as an epi goes, vintage burst is the best imo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.