So lately I've been practicing sweeps and arpeggios with taps, but in order to do so without picking every note I need to use pretty high gain (I boost with a ts-9) and I also use an NS-2 to reduce buzz, but the problem is this creates alot of noise when I inevitably touch other strings, does my amp just really suck or is it more to do with my technique/lack of experience? Oh, I also use an EMG-81 pickup. The amp itself is a Marshall MG-100 through a Peavey Valve King 412 which I know is a terrible amp but I should be able to do these techniques without such problems?
Last edited by mrmoo182 at May 19, 2011,
1. You shouldn't boost a solid state amp.
2. You are most probably over-gaining the whole thing.
3. Your technique is most probably not good enough.
1. Why not?
2. The reason why I do is so the notes come easier, if I don't I have to press fairly hard and that reduces speed
Work on your technique first.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah you're probably using too much gain. Practice doing it on the clean channel first. Then when you do it overdriven it should sound better. It's all in the technique to be honest
+1 to everyone else, especially practicing on the clean channel. Then when you use the overdrive channel don't max out your gain.

Also, boosting a solid state amp isn't really practical or logical because boost pedals are typicall made/used to overdrive preamp tubes. Since you own a solid state amp with no preamp tubes that uses diode clipping, you're probably just clipping your signal and amplifying the noise.
Quote by mrmoo182
1. Why not?
2. The reason why I do is so the notes come easier, if I don't I have to press fairly hard and that reduces speed

1. Because it sounds like shitty clipping if you really boost it.
2. The reason for over-gaining is poor technique.
if you're recording, tie the neck off and that will really help reduce unwanted noise. dont tie the neck for practicing though, you wanna get your technique as good as possible.
You're still picking every note when you're playing it with a ton of gain, the only thing is that it's so noisy and buzzy that you don't realize it. If your technique is bad, it is bad regardless of how much gain you use.

You never need as much gain as you think you do. If you don't already do so, I suggest you record yourself playing. I never realized how much gain I used until I actually recorded my amp. Buying a mic and interface was the best thing I ever did for playing and technique... it lets you listen attentively to your playing without being distracted by... actually playing. You might think it sounds good to your ears when you are sitting there playing it, but listening to the playback can paint a much more accurate picture.
Last edited by al112987 at May 19, 2011,