I've been playing an electric guitar for about a year, and am wondering what a good choice would be for a cheap electric bass that will sound good for all kinds of rock music. Any suggestions?
Last edited by jessej1996 at May 19, 2011,
Squier. I got a Jazz one about a month ago and I've used it plenty. I play metal and it sounds great. I just got an LTD B10 and B15 in too. Hella cheap and they seem well built and sound great also. Of course, how much are you willing to spend? Used or new? I prefer new gear regardless because I don't trust used stuff, but that's just my preference.
I bought an Ibanez GSR-200 for around $300 and its one of the best value beginner bass guitars that Ive found.

It sounds great and it is very durable - Its a really good choice, though more expensive than one of those cheap beginner basses

If you expect to play bass more than casually, my Ibanez hasn't let me down yet in the 3 years Ive owned it
[Insert something clever here]
kalimah!, I don't see any reason to not trust used gear. The guitar I bought last year is now nearly 16 years old and it still plays great. It's even better than the today's Ibanez RG Prestige.
TS, I'd say you could go for a MIM Fender Precision or Jazz used, those are really reliable basses and work for many kinds of rock.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Sakke, just saying it was a preference lol. I don't like used stuff.

The GSR series is pretty good too.
Quote by kalimah!
Squier. I got a Jazz one about a month ago and I've used it plenty. I play metal and it sounds great. I just got an LTD B10 and B15 in too. Hella cheap and they seem well built and sound great also. Of course, how much are you willing to spend? Used or new? I prefer new gear regardless because I don't trust used stuff, but that's just my preference.

Under $200. And I've only ever had used guitars because that's all I can get my hands on around here, but I'd go for new if it was cheap enough.
200 bucks can get you alot. If you don't mind going used, you can get a bunch of deals. I'd definitely try some out in your price range and see what's good for you.
I got a Ibanez Gio bass for like, $150, it's actually fairly sturdy and pretty nice bass. I put a new pickup in it though, the stock one sucked. Threw some decent strings on it, and it's pretty reliable, especially considering the abuse I've put it through.
People don't think about Samick, but they have made
bass guitars for many well known name companies.
Mine has the name Abilene on it but it is an old
Samick LB11 bass guitar, I think. Agathis body,
bolt on maple neck, rosewood fretboard, 20 frets,
34” scale, 1 split P pickup, 1 volume, 1 tone, chrome
die-cast tuners and standard bridge.

They can be found cheap used. The one I have is
well built for a $30 bass, but the pickup really sucked.

I just put an old Squire pup in it and wow!

I was glad. I still have only $30 invested. I haven't even
changed strings. I like um well used(Tabdog's weird)

I had to take the point off the headstock though,

Tabdog
I guess I do.

I get carried away.

Sometimes I even forget what the subject is and just rattle on.

You'll get old one day.

Then it will be your turn,

Tabdog
You could buy a Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass. It was my first bass.
I still love my Affinity P-Bass. Certainly not high-end, but never lets me down.
Quote by tabdog
I guess I do.

I get carried away.

Sometimes I even forget what the subject is and just rattle on.

You'll get old one day.

Then it will be your turn,

Tabdog

I'm nineteen and already there.
The Recording Store (in NYC I think) is having a blow-out on the Samick/Greg Bennett Corsair basses in Corvette Yellow for $150 delivered to your doorstep. The Recording Store sells through Amazon. No tax, free shipping. Not certain, but I think this is pretty much at cost.

A friend of mine bought one the other day and I have to say I was impressed with the quality of the axe. Nice P/J configuration, good straight neck and sounded great.

The Corsairs are available in other colors (black, red, and natural) but they are $190. The sale is on the yellow ones. I thought it was a great bass for the money. Here's a link if anyone cares:

http://www.amazon.com/Samick-CR1-CY-Corsair-Bass/dp/B002HIC4Z2
You can get a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass for around $300.
It's quite close to the $1000+ Fender Jazz Bass (sound-wise).
I c wut u did thurrr