I found the picks that sit just right with me, picks I really like. Happy days right? Wrong. No where near me sells them, and my local shop won't order them in. The only place I've been able to find them online as well wants to charge me £10 to ship them here.

Now, I play so much better with these picks, and I prefer the sound and feel of them as well. Should I bite the bullet, and order some online, or do I should I settle for second best and get some other picks, knowing my playing and sound will suffer?

Also, supposing I want to use the same type of pick to play bass as I do guitar, how much thicker of a gauge should I get for the bass than the guitar?
life's too short for your technique and sound to suffer, just get the decent picks.
and it depends what gauge the ones you're using are. i'd say more than 1mm is thick enough to play bass with, i use dunlop tortex .96mm ones for guitar and bass
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Last edited by Unholy.Daemon at May 19, 2011,
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
life's too short for your technique and sound to suffer, just get the decent picks.

Pretty much this. I have to order my picks from the US, bit of a pain in the ass, so I grab 24 at a time.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
This reminds me of something I heard once which went along the lines of "people are willing to spend £1000 on a good guitar and £1000 on a good amp but use a mediocre £3 lead from a hardware store and wonder why there's that little bit something missing in their sound from when they tried the gear in the shop with a £40 guitar lead"

Moral of the story is if it genuinely is better for your sound, bite the bullet and get the more expensive picks.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
^ moral of the story is tell us what picks you want just in case we know of a dealer who won't charge punitive postage rates...

EDIT: obviously that's not a guarantee, maybe you have checked everywhere, but you don't exactly have anything to lose...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Das Turnip
I'm intrigued, what picks are they?

Dunlop Ultex Sharps.
I've only found one site that stocks them, and ships to the UK.
Have you checked Ebay? That's where i bought my Tortex sharps and they were substantially cheaper than in the shops.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 19, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Have you checked Ebay? That's where i bought my Tortex sharps and they were substantially cheaper than in the shops.

No, didn't even think to check there either. As I said above though, I found them pretty cheap on Amazon, so I'll prob just get them there. Thanks any ways though
i know thomann does them, but then they have the 10 euro postage thing unless you order stuff up to 200 euro

but yeah i mean if you've already found a dealer than that's the main thing
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?