I am in a Progressive Metalcore band and I'm looking for a great high gain amp to replace my Traynor YCS-100. I love my Traynor. Its clean channel sings, but its distortion is very dark and muddy. Sounds a lot like a mediocre Marshall. This is the main reason I'm trying to get rid of the thing. So, with that said, I've been looking at some select amps and I'm trying to stay below the $1,500 range. So far, I'm trying to decide between a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo, Peavey 5150/6505+, Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature, and a Fender EVH 5150 III. I definitely would prefer to have an amp with a clean channel that sings, but, at the same time, I can't break the bank. I know the EVH's are hard to find cheap, so that one is a big if. However, can I get some suggestions of which amp out of these would work best for a tight Metal sound?
I've got a Blackstar Stage60 and it's perfect.. Beautiful clean tone and good distortion.. If you've got foot pedals then you can make it extra metal-ish with extra gain and etc.
For that singing clean, the 6505/5150 isnt going to be of much use since they're built primarily just to distort. Seeing as how the EVH will be harder to come across i'd narrow it down to the Mesa and the ENGL, and from there its more a matter of personal preference. The only way to really decide to sit down with both and see what you like more.
Quote by seemeel
He needs a new amp. Definitely. The Spider IIIs are potentially the worst sounding amplifiers you can buy.
I love my carvin v3. I changed the tubes out (look in my sig) and its very versatile. It doens't have any of the fizziness that it has with 12ax7's (which can be dialed out). Hopefully soon I will get a recording setup so I can put up clips.

Also the Peavey 3120 is great aswell. Both of those have nice clean channels too for high gain amps especially with my tube change.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
A lot of good suggestions. I've heard that the V3's were pretty versatile, but I've also heard the opposite, haha! I'm probably going to look up sample vids of all these amps on youtube to get an idea for their sound. That Blackmore really is sounding quite tempting....
An ENGL is another option, but never seen or heard the blackmore series thou.
Ibanez Rg570EX
-Nailbomb & Liquifire
ENGL screamer 50
Dynacomp-TS9/808-OCD-Phase 90-Small Clone.
Last edited by Milotic at May 20, 2011,
Like am said you could get a roadking.
You could get a mark iv or even a v used too.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Either get a new ENGL Savage/Powerball/Fireball or a used ENGL Invader for that br00tz sound
I'd go with the Engl (Powerball 2/Invader) or Carvin V3. Both have tone for days, sweet, sweet gain and lovely chimey cleans.
Quote by AcousticMirror
dude for 1500 you could get a roadking.

This.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'm still really swaying Engl. That Roadking sounds nice too. What about Line 6 Vetta's? Are they extremely digital sounding like other Line 6 amps?
5150/6505 all the way baby.
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by Ibanezshred_57
Can anyone give me any info on the Vetta II?

Youll regret the vetta seriously check out the a roadking or a mark iv or v
You should be able to score a mark iv for under $1200
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean