just received my Whitebox 2x12 with V30s and was about to plug it in.

The cab says
-ohm load: 16 ohms
-power handling: 60 watts
There are two jacks.

My Mark IV only has one 8ohm and two 4ohm jacks.

what do

edit:
if the cab is 16ohms, does that mean only 1 jack would be 8ohm?
Last edited by Ignite at May 19, 2011,
No, 16 ohms split using both jacks makes each 8 ohms
PRS Standard 22, Trans Blue
PRS Custom 24, Eriza Verde Green
Martin DC16 GTE Acoustic/Electric
Segovia Acoustic/Electric
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb
Fender Princeton Chorus 212
It is not for sure that one jack is 8 ohms, possibly, but not likely. I'd guess that it is so that you can piggy back to another cab. You should have ordered an 8 ohm cab, but you can rewire the one you have to 4 ohms if you run them parallel, as you most likely have 2 8 ohm speakers run in series. If you have a second cab, and it is also 16 ohms, you can piggy back it from the whitebox cab for a total of 8 ohms
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by cakeypower
Mailing Address:
1227 159th PL SW
Lynnwood, WA 98087

Phone:
(781) 923-0447
(781) WBE-0447

Email:
tiger@whiteboxeng.com

This guys got you covered
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
This guys got you covered

haha. I feel like I've bugged Doug enough but I guess there's no harm in asking him, after all he is the founder and knows the most about his cabs.

Quote by ecvMatt
It is not for sure that one jack is 8 ohms, possibly, but not likely. I'd guess that it is so that you can piggy back to another cab. You should have ordered an 8 ohm cab, but you can rewire the one you have to 4 ohms if you run them parallel, as you most likely have 2 8 ohm speakers run in series. If you have a second cab, and it is also 16 ohms, you can piggy back it from the whitebox cab for a total of 8 ohms

Well the speaker in my combo is 8 ohms. I'm planning to set my mark iv combo on the of the cab. So I'd plug 8ohm jack from the head to the cab. Then run the other jack from the cab to the combo speaker?

also there was no option for an 8 ohm cab. I could pick 2 8ohm speakers or 2 16ohm speakers. Or have one and the other but I felt I shouldn't do that. I thought having 8ohm V30's was the standard thing to do.
You ordered the wrong cab, you can rewire it, but you got the wrong cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
2 16 ohm speakers will make an 8 ohm cab.

Right now, you will be running at about 12 ohms total, but, there will be a noticeable difference in volume between the internal speaker and the cab because the internal speaker is less of a load with only one speaker whereas the cab is a greater load spread out over 2 speakers, it will not be as loud as it should be and the internal speaker will be the dominant in the mix. What i would suggest, short of exchanging the speakers for 16 ohm speakers, would be to rewire the cab so it is 4 ohms, then run both it AND the internal speaker out of the 4 ohm jacks. That would put you in the neighborhood of 6 ohms total load. Another option would be to throw a 4 ohm speaker in the combo, rewire the cab to 4 ohms then they'd be matched.

I am guessing that the amp is designed to run an 8 ohm load, either with one 8 ohm load or 2 4 ohm loads, or a single 4 ohm load, but I am not 100% as I don't own one.

Really, I think you'll get the BEST overall sound by disconnecting the internal speaker, rewiring the cab to 4 ohms and letting her rip.
Quote by CodChick

if you try what you said in your post STOP, you might end up screwing it up.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
2 8 ohm speakers can be wired for 16 OR 4 ohms

2 16 ohm speakers can be wired for 32 OR 8 ohms, more commonly 8 ohms.
Quote by CodChick

Quote by Robbgnarly
if you try what you said in your post STOP, you might end up screwing it up.

I have not tried anything.

Quote by ecvMatt
2 16 ohm speakers will make an 8 ohm cab.

Then why won't two 8 ohm speakers make 4 ohms?

Right now, you will be running at about 12 ohms total, but, there will be a noticeable difference in volume between the internal speaker and the cab because the internal speaker is less of a load with only one speaker whereas the cab is a greater load spread out over 2 speakers, it will not be as loud as it should be and the internal speaker will be the dominant in the mix. What i would suggest, short of exchanging the speakers for 16 ohm speakers, would be to rewire the cab so it is 4 ohms, then run both it AND the internal speaker out of the 4 ohm jacks. That would put you in the neighborhood of 6 ohms total load. Another option would be to throw a 4 ohm speaker in the combo, rewire the cab to 4 ohms then they'd be matched.

I am guessing that the amp is designed to run an 8 ohm load, either with one 8 ohm load or 2 4 ohm loads, or a single 4 ohm load, but I am not 100% as I don't own one.

Really, I think you'll get the BEST overall sound by disconnecting the internal speaker, rewiring the cab to 4 ohms and letting her rip.

I'll see what I can do.
Quote by Oldmonkeys
So you pestered the guy ordering a cab... and didnt even get the right one?

No no, I just kept emailing and calling asking when the expected arrival date was. I didn't ever get an answer so I assumed he was just busy. But it's arrived and it wasn't to long.
Quote by Ignite
So if I wire it for 4 ohms, I'm good then right? I have two 4 ohm jacks on my amp.

It sounds like you can run it either way, but 4 ohms will sound better

from Mesa:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%204.pdf
...you'll find that like most Mesa amps it isn't such a big problem to mismatch them as it is with many other amps. In fact it says that it is preferable to mismatch the amp on the high side ie a higher then expected cab impedance - the opposite to normal advice. Thing is these are very well built amps and the transformers will take it. Anyway running a 16 ohm cab from your 8 ohm output should not cause the amp any problems if all is healthy with it. ..
Quote by CodChick

according to this diagrams-
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/2x12wiring.html

two 8 ohm speakers in parallel would be 4 ohms.

Why can't I just use the 4 ohms on my amp again?

Quote by ecvMatt
It sounds like you can run it either way, but 4 ohms will sound better

from Mesa:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%204.pdf
...you'll find that like most Mesa amps it isn't such a big problem to mismatch them as it is with many other amps. In fact it says that it is preferable to mismatch the amp on the high side ie a higher then expected cab impedance - the opposite to normal advice. Thing is these are very well built amps and the transformers will take it. Anyway running a 16 ohm cab from your 8 ohm output should not cause the amp any problems if all is healthy with it. ..

Alrighty, but I'm stilled scared.

I think my cab is wired opposite than what you think it is. It's wired in parallel, and as the above diagram says, two 8 ohm speakers = 4ohm.

damn this is confusing.
Quote by Ignite

You can, but if you use the internal speaker as well, it will change the overall load being put on the amp.
Quote by CodChick

Quote by Ignite

Alrighty, but I'm stilled scared.

I think my cab is wired opposite than what you think it is. It's wired in parallel, and as the above diagram says, two 8 ohm speakers = 4ohm.

damn this is confusing.

So, the cab is 4 ohms? If so, let'r rip. In the OP you said 16, so I was guessing they are in series.
Quote by CodChick

yes you can wire the speakers in parallel for 4 ohms.

unless you ordered a stereo cab the 2 outputs are for daisy chaining.

i'm guessing you have 2 8s wired for 16ohms right now.

just pop the back off and rewire it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by ecvMatt
You can, but if you use the internal speaker as well, it will change the overall load being put on the amp.

Ah, I don't want to use the internal speaker. I plan on using just the cab and that's it.

I don't like the C90 all too well.

so again. Is it safe to run the 4 ohm into the cab?

Quote by AcousticMirror
yes you can wire the speakers in parallel for 4 ohms.

unless you ordered a stereo cab the 2 outputs are for daisy chaining.

i'm guessing you have 2 8s wired for 16ohms right now.

just pop the back off and rewire it.

Is it easy?
Quote by Ignite
Ah, I don't want to use the internal speaker. I plan on using just the cab and that's it.

I don't like the C90 all too well.

so again. Is it safe to run the 4 ohm into the cab?

Is it easy?

it's a piece of wood and 4 wires. I dunno if that's easy for you.
Quote by ecvMatt
So, the cab is 4 ohms? If so, let'r rip. In the OP you said 16, so I was guessing they are in series.

I really don't know anymore.

The cab says 16

the site says two 8 ohms in parallel is 4 ohms.

edit:
I'm guessing parallel INPUTS is different than being wired in parallel. Am I right?
yes parallel inputs are for daisy chaining. you can run multiple cabs from one speaker out.

there will be some soldering. you just have to switch the position of a couple of wires. maybe add another wire in. look online for the wiring guides. It's been a while since I wired speakers.
They are probably wired in series, 2 8 ohm speakers in series=16 ohms.

If you wire it to 4 ohms, just plug it into a 4 ohm out and you're good.
Quote by CodChick

alright thanks a ton guys. I'll have to trust my soldering skills as I don't want to go through the trouble of sending it back and everything.

Also for now I should be safe running my 8ohm from my head to the 16 ohm cab right? According to your Mesa quote, that should be alright, or even better for the amp (if anything)...?

Or did I misunderstand?
Yes, you can plug into the 8 ohm jack and play.
Quote by CodChick

Chime in, let us know how it sounds.

Play one last time through the stock speaker.

Play through the cab at 16 ohms

play through the cab at 4

report findings!!!!!!
Quote by CodChick

Will do! I might even record clips. I will be making a NGD as I just received the cab about an hour ago, and I have a few other toys that I'd like to show off.

edit:

oh man I've fallen in love with my amp all over again.

This. thing. sounds. MASSIVE.
it's a white box with (2) V30 speakers? rated at 60 watts power handling? shouldn't that be 120? if you don't know whats in the box and how it's really wired up then why not open the box and look?

if it's only rated at 60 watts then how do you know there isn't a couple of G12H-30's in there?

31 posts and you didn't just look in the cab and see for yourself what speakers are in there and how they are wired?

this reminds of that physics lab where you have the sealed box with a light and maybe a knob or switch and you had to guess the circuit in the box by how it operated. it's like that, but you had the option of just opening the box and looking at the circuit...

not really trying to troll ya, i am just a bit astonished.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Ignite
No no, I just kept emailing and calling asking when the expected arrival date was. I didn't ever get an answer so I assumed he was just busy. But it's arrived and it wasn't to long.

But you purchased the cab from him, giving him or confirming specifications with him before its arrival and your discovery that it was not actually going to work or be what you wanted?
Quote by Oldmonkeys
But you purchased the cab from him, giving him or confirming specifications with him before its arrival and your discovery that it was not actually going to work or be what you wanted?

It's completely my fault though. I didn't think before I ordered, I just ordered 2 8ohm V30's for some reason. And I didn't actually communicate with him during the ordering. You order online at their website and pick your specs. I was just in a hurry and I fucked up.

It's worked out fine though. Turns out (according to a threads I've come across on google) that 4ohms actually sounds the best. Apparently more punch or something.

it's a white box with (2) V30 speakers? rated at 60 watts power handling? shouldn't that be 120? if you don't know whats in the box and how it's really wired up then why not open the box and look?

if it's only rated at 60 watts then how do you know there isn't a couple of G12H-30's in there?

31 posts and you didn't just look in the cab and see for yourself what speakers are in there and how they are wired?

this reminds of that physics lab where you have the sealed box with a light and maybe a knob or switch and you had to guess the circuit in the box by how it operated. it's like that, but you had the option of just opening the box and looking at the circuit...

not really trying to troll ya, i am just a bit astonished.

No you're right, I should have done that. Shits heavy though. Especially my mesa, which is on top of it right now.
man come to think of it 60 watts isn't enough for that mesa. you need to double check that cab.

2 v30s would give you 120.
Quote by AcousticMirror
man come to think of it 60 watts isn't enough for that mesa. you need to double check that cab.

2 v30s would give you 120.

Just checked. 2 Celestions Vintage 30's, and what seemed like wired in series

input - speaker - speaker - other input.

Not sure why they put the power rating as 60w.

the inputs are tricky though. They're wired together. If I were to snip the speakers, I could still use the inputs to run something through (obviously that would be stupid). I hope that makes sense.

I have no knowledge of wiring speaker at all, but I'm reading and slowly understanding.
Last edited by Ignite at May 20, 2011,