So, I've been playing for about 2 years and a half now. I've never practiced much, maybe a few times per week on 2 or so hour sessions.

Thing is, I want to play certain songs (the solos in particular), but I just can't seem to. They're just too difficult for me...

If I get a tab for a solo, I can't seem to keep in time or know what part is what. And when I can, I just can't seem to play it with the original speed.

If I use a metronome combined with a tab (or by ear sometimes, but it's another thing it's very difficult for me to do, especially in solos), I can't seem to fit the song to a slower BPM other than the original full speed BPM.

And so on... What am I supposed to do? Tabs don't seem to work for me as I get lost, and my ear isn't developed enough to figure out the solos and such...

Maybe I need exercises, or something like that? I've only had guitar lessons for about a year with some time in between that I wasn't having them, so I don't know if that is important...
re read your first sentence, in it you will find why you find it difficult to play solos
I hate to spill the beans, but here's the secret: You have to practice every day. There's no way around it.
So it's actually preferable to practice a little bit every day, rather than 2, 3 or 4 times per week with long sessions?

I seriously didn't know that... I mean, it seemed that it would equal more or less the same amount of practice.

But thanks guys.
Quote by KaiZ
So it's actually preferable to practice a little bit every day, rather than 2, 3 or 4 times per week with long sessions?

I seriously didn't know that... I mean, it seemed that it would equal more or less the same amount of practice.

But thanks guys.

When you play everyday, you condition your brain and hands to playing everyday. This means that they'll be ready to play at the drop of a hat, making them warm-up faster, learn faster, and improve faster.

Think of it this way. If you play every afternoon, even for just a short while, your hands and brain, "oh, okay, it's time to play, we're totally ready for that." If you play just once or twice a week, they scramble and go "holy shit, we totally aren't prepared for this!" Then you waste all of your practice time getting warmed up and used to the instrument again. When you practice everyday, you don't "forget" (if just momentarily) how to play.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at May 19, 2011,
The thing with practising everyday is.. Ever had those 'times' when you had to memorise something? A peom or something? When you learned it before bed it seemed ah damn Ill never get it memorised no mater how long ill sit here. But when you got up, whoala ! Everything was in place!

Same goes for guitar you practise everyday and after each sleepover you get something 'printed out in your head' make that once, two times, etc etc, and its there! Aside from drilling it for 4 hours straight. :P

Offtopic: Scrappy explanation but its the best I got ! And The miracle 'break'(thats how i like to call that 'thing' when you just start playing sharper) usualy happens between 2-4 years(from my observations) so... We are almost there ( been playin about the same as you )
Try this:

Play the guitar every day for half an hour.

After a month, don't play the guitar for a couple of days.

You'll find that you really miss it and will go out of your way to pick up the guitar again.
As said, play every day.

And get the amazing slow downer.
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
Eddie van Halen used to play his guitar instead of go to parties. John Petrucci practised 6-10 hours a day while he was in high school. I practised 5-6 hours a day in high school. There's no way round it. It doesn't come naturally, there is no magic 'click' when you can suddenly play anything and everything, you have to practise! Lots of it.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
It's true, practice is good if you make sure you work on the right stuff. I play 2 to 3 1/2 hours a day, sometimes 4 hours. But it comes with time. Start with 1 hour and work on the hard parts that you can't get. Keep on going over the hard parts of the song/solo until you get them perfect. 1 hour is a good start. Then over time you will probably want to play longer, which will be maybe 2 or 3 hours. That's not as long as 6 hours, but it's good enough to work on your playing. So, start slow at first, then after you will get so into playing, that you won't want to stop. It works.
Last edited by Kingdommetal at May 22, 2011,