What is the difference between a floating trem and one that is against the body? People have instructed that I should adjust the trem on my strat to make it not float. Why is there general dislike to those tremolos?
firstly, wiki stuff for full explanation.

Floating trem means it can go high pitch and low pitch (dive bomb and squeeleeeeee)

Strats are fixed (you can go down) you can play with the springs and screws in the back to make if float slightly but this will result in going out of tune.

People dont like floyds much coz they are a bitch to restring and you cant change tunings at all easily.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
'cos they're imbeciles?

if you prefer it floating, leave it floating.

^ maybe, but they're frickin' awesome for the crazy whammy stuff. also strat trems can be set up to float.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y
firstly, wiki stuff for full explanation.

Floating trem means it can go high pitch and low pitch (dive bomb and squeeleeeeee)

Strats are fixed (you can go down) you can play with the springs and screws in the back to make if float slightly but this will result in going out of tune.

People dont like floyds much coz they are a bitch to restring and you cant change tunings at all easily.

So that's the rookie explanation.

A proper floating trem, like a Floyd Rose, has a cavity routed in the body below the bridge so it has room to move into. The string tension vs the spring tension make it "float" level with the body.
You're able to raise and lower the pitch with them. Squeelies are a technique involving hitting a harmonic, whether it's artificial or natural, and moving the trem up and down.
People who don't take the time to fully understand how they work, and how to properly set them up, don't like them.
I love them. Once you get the hang of it, you can do a simple string change in about 5 minutes.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
So that's the rookie explanation.

A proper floating trem, like a Floyd Rose, has a cavity routed in the body below the bridge so it has room to move into. The string tension vs the spring tension make it "float" level with the body.
You're able to raise and lower the pitch with them. Squeelies are a technique involving hitting a harmonic, whether it's artificial or natural, and moving the trem up and down.
People who don't take the time to fully understand how they work, and how to properly set them up, don't like them.
I love them. Once you get the hang of it, you can do a simple string change in about 5 minutes.

Did ask him to wiki...sorry for my "rookieness"

I do actually use a trem and love it...he asked why people don't like them and I told him...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
I'm not talking about Floyd rose.(I don't think I know what I'm talking about anyway ) I have a MIM strat with a vintage floating tremolo. People told me to lower it so it doesn't float which involves messing with the springs in the back( it seems easy enough to do). I wanted to know the pros and cOns of a floating trem and one that is lowered.
Quote by Dave_Mc
'cos they're imbeciles?

if you prefer it floating, leave it floating.

^ maybe, but they're frickin' awesome for the crazy whammy stuff. also strat trems can be set up to float.

Not even close a floating wilkinson trem with locking tuners you might get 3 semi tones and two is more likely.

A properly setup back routed original Floyd Rose (OFR) or a quality licensed Floyd Rose (LFR) such as the Ibanez Edge, Edge Pro etc. Can easily get five to seven semi tones sharp.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch
(a)Not even close a floating wilkinson trem with locking tuners you might get 3 semi tones and two is more likely.

(b) A properly setup back routed original Floyd Rose (OFR) or a quality licensed Floyd Rose (LFR) such as the Ibanez Edge, Edge Pro etc. Can easily get five to seven semi tones sharp.

(a) er... what? I think you might have misunderstood what i meant in my post...

(b) well, sure, but i didn't say anything about the number of semitones.

I mean obviously you're only getting a semitone or two out of a strat trem set up to float, but that's plenty for a lot of people, and if you prefer it floating, there's no reason to convert it to dive-only.

That's all i meant.

pros and cons of floating versus dive-only:

pros of floating:

can raise the pitch with the trem, so can do vibrato and pitch-raising effects nicely, and other tricks.

tone is a bit different (airier? springier? something like that)

cons of floating:

if you bend one string the other strings go flat, so you have to adjust your technique for double-stop bends and the ike.

if you break a string all the other strings will go out of tune

restringing/setups are slightly more involved

for pros and cons of dive-only, basically just reverse those
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?