I might be going to one of or both of these countries in August depending on how much money I have saved up by then. If I do go I'll probably catch a bus in Sao Paulo and head to Iguacu on the Brazilian/Argentine border and then head over to Buenos Aires. After that I'm very undecided on what places I'd want to go. Anyone familiar with the area would you please recommend me some places? And any general info about what to expect, cultural things, prices, etc, would be appreciated.
I'm going backpacking in Brazil, Argentina, and Chile for my winter break with my best friends. And I have some shit planned.

Argentina: eat steak and buy leather products. It's cheap, and Argentina is known for the quality of its cows. Go to Ushuaia. It's arguably the Southernmost city in the world, about 500 miles away from Antarctica.
Note: Ushuaia is in the Tierra Del Fuego province. That forest is one of the most extreme environments in the world. Dual Survival on the Discovery Channel did an episode on that. Don't **** with that shit. You'll die. Legit.

Chile: Machu Picchu. Also, Chile has some of the world's most beautiful rainforests. And they're endangered. Go.
Dude. Macchu Picchu is in Perú

Anyway if anyone is coming here to Chile, make sure you bastards come to Santiago (the capital) so we can hang around a little.
Quote by Victory2134
You're just so energetic and cute. Exactly what I want in a pet squirrel, except you're a person.

I kindly ask you to correct my grammar. And also to smile.
Quote by NUMAS

Anyway if anyone is coming here to Chile, make sure you bastards come to Santiago (the capital) so we can hang around a little.

Well if I do go to Chile, Santiago is the place I already had in mind. Any other places you would recommend?
I'm definitely going to be spending some time in Southern Brazil also since I've never been south of Sao Paulo.
Quote by NUMAS

Yeah, I knew something was off.... I'm going to Peru
If you are visiting Chile during August... Do you like forests or deserts? You can either go south and freeze, or go north and visit the desert. Both are beautiful, and I would personally recommend you the desert. San Pedro de Atacama is awesome.
Quote by Victory2134
You're just so energetic and cute. Exactly what I want in a pet squirrel, except you're a person.

Quote by trueamerican
I'm going backpacking in Brazil, Argentina, and Chile for my winter break with my best friends. And I have some shit planned.

Argentina: eat steak and buy leather products. It's cheap, and Argentina is known for the quality of its cows. Go to Ushuaia. It's arguably the Southernmost city in the world, about 500 miles away from Antarctica.
Note: Ushuaia is in the Tierra Del Fuego province. That forest is one of the most extreme environments in the world. Dual Survival on the Discovery Channel did an episode on that. Don't **** with that shit. You'll die. Legit.

Chile: Machu Picchu. Also, Chile has some of the world's most beautiful rainforests. And they're endangered. Go.

Haha I saw that Dual Survival episode. Hopefully a friend of mine is going to be travelling with me but I'm not sure how likely it is that he's going to be able to go. I'd be a little reluctant to travel on my own.
Quote by Masamune
Haha I saw that Dual Survival episode. Hopefully a friend of mine is going to be travelling with me but I'm not sure how likely it is that he's going to be able to go. I'd be a little reluctant to travel on my own.

That'd be lame. Go to Recife in Brazil. Beautiful endangered beaches.
I've been to both. Iguaçu falls are epic, I suggest going there from both sides of the border. If you're going to Chile, see if you can check out some of the southern cities like Puerto Montt or Puerto Vara.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Don't get kidnapped in Argentina
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
^^Awesome.

Puerto Varas is the most beautiful city I've ever visited. Still, he has to choose if he wants to freeze, or be thirsty as hell.
Quote by Victory2134

Last edited by NUMAS at May 19, 2011,
South it is!

Give me a day to give proper advice, ok? But you HAVE to visit Puerto Varas. I will post again tomorrow.

Bye.
Quote by Victory2134

Last edited by NUMAS at May 19, 2011,
Quote by G.Krizzel
Make "Me Gusta" face all the time.

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Well since you're going to Santiago (which is a pretty cool town). I would reccommend you to visit Valparaiso, which is 2 hours away from Santiago. It's been declared Humanity's Patrymony. You can then go either north or south. If you go to the north, you can visit the Atacama Desert and San Pedro de Atacama, and maybe continue to Peru. But the south is ****ing beautiful, too. If you have enough money, you MUST go to Torres del Paine:

Puerto Varas is a tiny, tiny European looking town, I wouldn't go there for more than an afternoon, but the sorroundings (Llanquihue Lake) are beautiful.

Its a shame that the most important Chilean natural attractions (Atacama Desert and Torres del Paine) are so far away from each other. You should really try and visit them both.
█████████████████████████
Last edited by MuffinBrain at May 19, 2011,
Quote by trueamerican

Suspiro a la Limeña, Pisco, and CHIRIMOYA are also peruvian. Give me a PM if you cross lima .

BTW, I know Chile is pretty, but Perú is better. **** you chile.
Dead bull with the life from the low
I'll be massive conquistador
Give me soul and show me the door
Metal heavy, soft at the core
Gimme toro, gimme some more

Steam: Mengsk
MAL
Ok well I have some updates. I'm a bit constrained on where I can go and even if I'm going to be able to. My mode of transportation is going to be by bus. I found this site which shows bus-trips and prices.
http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/turismo/noticias/ult338u617827.shtml
It's in Portuguese but you can clearly see the cities it makes stops at and the price in Reals (Brazilian currency which is R$1.60 for every American dollar).
So the major stops in my trip would have to be the places whatever bus-line I choose stops at.
Anyone within either Argentina or Chile, can you tell me how much local buses and taxis usually cost? And what are some things to do in Buenos Aires specifically?
Well...

If you have to choose between south and north, I would recommend you to go north. Still, I have no idea how much money it would cost you, but I'll try to find out.

Also, I would like to see a single proof of Pisco being peruvian. Seriously, I'm not trying to be cocky.
Quote by Victory2134

^I've been doing some research and there are buses that go from Sao Paulo (which is where I'll be leaving from) to Santiago that are around $190. Although I don't want to go directly, I'd want to make several stops and get to know the places I stop at.
Quote by Masamune
^I've been doing some research and there are buses that go from Sao Paulo (which is where I'll be leaving from) to Santiago that are around $190. Although I don't want to go directly, I'd want to make several stops and get to know the places I stop at.

As I said above, if you're going to Santiago, you must visit Valparaiso, at least for a day.
█████████████████████████
I've got enough money now to make the trip. Only problem is that the 2 friends of mine that were willing to go with me are now having doubts because of money problems. I'd be reluctant to travel alone. I guess the reason I'm bumping this is to ask if anyone here has traveled alone abroad and what they think of it. Is it even worth it?
Quote by Masamune
I've got enough money now to make the trip. Only problem is that the 2 friends of mine that were willing to go with me are now having doubts because of money problems. I'd be reluctant to travel alone. I guess the reason I'm bumping this is to ask if anyone here has traveled alone abroad and what they think of it. Is it even worth it?

You can do that but you'd really need to get yourself a guide to avoid getting frustrated/lost. And avoid the slums.
Having a guide sounds expensive. :/ I'm hoping I can get one of my cousins that live in Brazil to go with me, not sure how that will work out because it seems like when I'm broke everyone I know has money and when I have money everyone I know is broke.