Page 1 of 2
I think we all tend to do it sometimes without realizing how dumb it is. If I see somebody with shit gear, I automatically think "oh eww, he's using X brand". Afterwards I stop and think, "well you know, they might not have enough money. Not everybody owns 7 basses/guitars, 3 8x10s and 4 tube heads".

So Pit, do you judge somebody on their gear at first glance?
pinga
No, but I sometimes judge if they're not using it correctly. I saw a metal guitarist busking with no action whatsoever and no left over string on his tuners, and he had horrible metal settings.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Nope, not at all. I guess this is mostly because I have fucking awesome gear, but still kinda suck; unfortunately for me, quality of gear is in no way directly proportional to skill.
Yes. Not to say "he's using a cheap amp, he must suck." but to say. "he bought a Line6 halfstack.... he makes bad choices"
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Well yeah a bit. But I'm more interested in their sound.
If someone as an MG half stack I'm a bit critical.
If they have a peavey 5150 I judge them as metal heads for example [who like generic tones ].
RIP Gooze

cats
Nah, I know some people can't afford expensive stuff so why should I make fun of them? I think it's pretty rude for someone to do that.
STಠ_ಠ
I never formulate an opinion on, or assess, someone based on their gear, its rude and insignificant.
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
I never go oh hes got a squier he sucks. but I might go oh my god that guitar is far too pointy.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I don't judge based on gear but I have noticed more than a couple of people with really expensive stuff being really bad, but there are just as many who have expensive equipment and have good chops.

I only judge after I have watched them play for awhile.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Quote by Jon777
Nope, not at all. I guess this is mostly because I have fucking awesome gear, but still kinda suck; unfortunately for me, quality of gear is in no way directly proportional to skill.

This.

I enjoy myself when playing. That's what matters.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
Yes. Not to say "he's using a cheap amp, he must suck." but to say. "he bought a Line6 halfstack.... he makes bad choices"

This. I used a Marshall 250DFX once, then I learned to run PODfarm through its speakers. I wasn't quite fond of its CRUSHING OVERDRIVE.
if i see a guy with a hot pink BC Rich Warlock, i'd assume he's into 80's glam metal.

that being said, i wish i had a hot pink BC Rich Warlock cause i'm into 80's glam metal.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I judge them on what type of music I think they play. But that's it.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

I for one aint got amazin gear but even if i had better stuff i think id still be pretty frugal.
R.I.P Dimebag Darrell

F**k It dude....Let's go Bowling
To an extent, such as "Epiphone LP Jr. with a Line 6 spider III 15w", my first thought would be him just starting out and such, he might still be a good player as I'm sure plenty of people are who have lesser gear then some people I know who have AWESOME gear, but can hardly play.

I don't act like I'm better then them for having "better" or higher end gear, but I do somewhat judge to an extent, just not in a really bad way as in insulting.

EDIT: I also kinda half judge what genre they play, such as like "B.C. Rich Duluxe Jr V. Running through a Peavey/Bugera/Mesa", One would only assume (hopefully) metal.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at May 19, 2011,
Yes, as much as I hate to admit it.
I usually try to guess what kind of music they play based on their choice of gear. Also, if I see someone with a very expensive guitar, I always assume that they're probably really good if they can justify owning such an expensive instrument.

I'm often correct in the first aspect, but rarely in the second.

EDIT: One thing I've noticed is that there are many people who own several really good guitars, but still play through a shitty practice amp. It sort of defeats the point. They can clearly afford better gear, I don't see why they can't make that investment.
Last edited by sashki at May 19, 2011,
Quote by theogonia777
if i see a guy with a hot pink BC Rich Warlock, i'd assume he's into 80's glam metal.

that being said, i wish i had a hot pink BC Rich Warlock cause i'm into 80's glam metal.

I second this.

I don't judge people based on their gear... but I get jealous from time to time, not gonna lie. I have an American standard strat though, so i dun really need anything else.
When I see people with certain guitars I immediately start assuming what kind of music they (try to) play/listen to.
*2007 join date crew*
*DIRTY SOUTH CREW*
*Goes to the strip club in basketball shorts crew*
*Reservations for the drive-thru crew*
*Swims with shoes on crew*
*6'4 5% striated crew*
If you play an squier, I don't like you or your music.

If you play a dean, you are too brutal for me.

Then I meet the person and realize that Looks aren't everything.
My band is a three piece and we have a shit ton of gear for our small band size. Whenever we're setting up, people assume we're better than we actually are, lol.
Quote by Jon777

This, verily.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Jack White has a badass tone. >_<

but he uses a whammy pedal. that's practically progressive rock or something. he should just keep it simple and stick to the E chord.

Quote by primusfan
nah, usually just their skin color.

purple people are always bad at guitar, but green people are great.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I usually only assume that people play certain genres or styles based on their gear.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by theogonia777
but he uses a whammy pedal. that's practically progressive rock or something. he should just keep it simple and stick to the E chord.

purple people are always bad at guitar, but green people are great.

Most white stripes songs are in E.
If I see MGs I think "oh a beginner."

I heard a guy get a great tone out of an MG once though. It blew my mind
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
A little bit. Usually it's when someone gets a guitar endorsed by some guitarist solely for that reason.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
Quote by Zoot Allures
Most white stripes songs are in E.

but i think he plays to many G chords. i think one song might have had a Cadd9 or something. that's practically jazz fusion stuff there.
Quote by theogonia777
but i think he plays to many G chords. i think one song might have had a Cadd9 or something. that's practically jazz fusion stuff there.

But he's so much of a badass that even when he's not playing E he's still playing E.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Page 1 of 2