Page 1 of 2
I don't know what it's like where you live, but around here everyone and their dog plays guitar. In fact, there are too many guitarists and not enough players of other instruments, which makes putting a band together very, very difficult.

I was considering giving up guitar to learn to play bass so I can get more gigs. Now, I know a lot of bassists hate when you play bass "like a guitarist", but I intend to learn to play all the correct techniques and be a "proper" bassist.

On the other hand, I feel that it won't be worth it, cos I won't get to play my first choice of instrument and I won't enjoy it.

What does The Pit think? Have any of you switched instruments to get more gigs, and how has that worked out for you?
Or you could, you know, play both?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by sashki
I don't know what it's like where you live, but around here everyone and their dog plays guitar. In fact, there are too many guitarists and not enough players of other instruments, which makes putting a band together very, very difficult.

I was considering giving up guitar to learn to play bass so I can get more gigs. Now, I know a lot of bassists hate when you play bass "like a guitarist", but I intend to learn to play all the correct techniques and be a "proper" bassist.

On the other hand, I feel that it won't be worth it, cos I won't get to play my first choice of instrument and I won't enjoy it.

What does The Pit think? Have any of you switched instruments to get more gigs, and how has that worked out for you?

Worst decision a man can make.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Only switch if you're really going to be dedicated to bass and not just "cuz not that many ppl pl4y bass l0l i need gigs". What's the point in playing an instrument if you dont enjoy it?
pinga
Quote by Trowzaa

/thread

Why does it have to be so exclusive?
last.fm[/url}
if you're gonna use that logic, at least switch to keyboards. keyboard players may be loathed by guitarists, but they are valued and respected, unlike bassists.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
if you're gonna use that logic, at least switch to keyboards. keyboard players may be loathed by guitarists, but they are valued and respected, unlike bassists.

I really hope you're trolling.
pinga
Fuck the haters; basses are sexy instruments (assuming their players know how to "do it right").

EDIT:

Quote by Trowzaa

And this. I'm both a bass player and a guitar player. It's not like the two are mutually exclusive.
Last edited by Jon777 at May 19, 2011,
Quote by theogonia777

what is this I don't even....i love playing with keys or piano. I wish there were more! I also wish I could play piano better
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
That's like ditching a hot girl who can be really bitchy for a fat girl with a nice personality.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by Cb4rabid
I really hope you're trolling.

most people don't care about bass players in rock and metal. i do, but most don't.

that's why people always make jokes about bassists.

Quote by guitarlord28
what is this I don't even....i love playing with keys or piano. I wish there were more! I also wish I could play piano better

everyone i know always hates on keyboard players. maybe it's just where i live?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at May 19, 2011,
Quote by BK202
Yeah, why would you give one up to play the other? Can your brain not handle both?

That's like saying because I'm learning Norwegian, I have to quit speaking English.

I can't play both in the same band.
And starting a new instrument requires quite a commitment if I want to get to a decent level fast. I'm in my second year of university. Here, there are societies dedicated to helping musicians form bands. 95% of the members are guitarists. If learn an adequate level of bass before I graduate, I can finally fulfill my dream of playing in a band. I think that after I graduate, I won't have such an opportunity.
Quote by theogonia777

If its an annoying keyboardist who can't improv worth a crap, then yeah. But when you play with great keys...man its awesome
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Quote by sashki
starting a new instrument requires quite a commitment if I want to get to a decent level fast.

If you're already a decent guitarist, picking up the bass shouldn't be all too difficult.
Quote by theogonia777
most people don't care about bass players in rock and metal. i do, but most don't.

that's why people always make jokes about bassists.

We are valued because the ratio of guitarists to bassist is like 100:1. Everytime somebody starts a band, who do they usually end up needing? A bassist.

Most of the bass hate thing is just friendly joking around, but on occasion I will meet that one douchecake who TRULY thinks bass is like super easy cause you know, it has less strings and stuff.
pinga
i play guitar and i play bass in my band, shits awesome dunno what the problem is really..
Quote by sashki
Where do you find the time? (and money and space?)

i play guitar, banjo, steel guitar, didgeridoo, and synth. it's actually not that hard to find the time. think of it this way, when you play a bunch of different instruments, you have to spend more time practicing, but less on each. so instead of playing guitar say 10 hours a week, you split 15 or 20 between 3-5 or whatever. as far as cost, that's another story... space isn't so bad though.
if you live somewhere everyone and their dog plays guitar, you should probably check your water.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by guitarlord28
If its an annoying keyboardist who can't improv worth a crap, then yeah. But when you play with great keys...man its awesome

yeah, keys are awesome, but all the people i know are all like "zomg like keys are gay and for pussy metal" and stuff like that. like it's not br00tal or something silly like that.

Quote by Cb4rabid
We are valued because the ratio of guitarists to bassist is like 100:1. Everytime somebody starts a band, who do they usually end up needing? A bassist.

but around here, there tend to be a higher ratio of good bassists than good guitarists. you don't tend to find as many people that suck at bass as you do that suck at guitar, cause bassists tend not to learn bass cause they think it's cool. from my experience anyway.
Quote by sashki
Where do you find the time? (and money and space?)

Well, I have been playing for a while (I've been musical for like 8 years), but besides drums, everything is in my main room, and my drums/mics/recording gear are in my studio/guest bedroom haha

But I'm currently unemployed and not in school so it's not like I have anything else going on

But the transition from guitar to bass isn't that huge. Once you get the fingering technique down for bass and get used to the thicker strings most of your guitar chops will transfer over
Quote by HelpTravesty
/thread

Why does it have to be so exclusive?

Because most guitarists play bass like a guitarist.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
Quote by sashki

I got my only gigs because I did that, but I still continue to play guitar and I started a band. But I am the bassist who plays like the guitarist.
I would consider myself a guitarist, but I play bass in a band. It's actually quite fun.

Last edited by Gerard_xD at May 19, 2011,
My dad switched for that reason back in the day and he's been playing bass now for 30 some odd years. He plays out most nights of the week, he's got a day job, but he makes a vast amount of our living off of it.

SO in short, if done right, success!
Half kidding, though the anecdote is true.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
It's important to note that just because you can pick up a bass and play it, doesn't mean you're a bassist. The unfortunate thing is when gutarists pick up a bass, start fooling around on it and play it with terrible technique because they think the crossover from guitar to bass is 100%. It's not.

There's a whole different mindset and skill when to comes to playing bass.

inb4 bass is easy jokes
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
There's a whole different mindset and skill when to comes to playing bass.

inb4 bass is easy jokes

i hate that, and not just on bass. like, people pick up a ukulele and think it's just a mini guitar, or pick up a banjo, or whatever, without realizing it's a completely different instrument. there's no point in learning the instrument if you're not gonna learn to use it correctly, you know? you gotta keep in mind the role the bassist plays.
Michael Todd of Coheed and Cambria quit guitar to play bass and he's amazing bassist. Do it!
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by TheReverend724
Well, I have been playing for a while (I've been musical for like 8 years), but besides drums, everything is in my main room, and my drums/mics/recording gear are in my studio/guest bedroom haha

But I'm currently unemployed and not in school so it's not like I have anything else going on

But the transition from guitar to bass isn't that huge. Once you get the fingering technique down for bass and get used to the thicker strings most of your guitar chops will transfer over

When the **** did you get modded? O_o

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I play both, I'm actually about to double major in guitar performance and music ed (with my major instrument as string bass) in college. It's not too difficult, and upright bass is really the most fun instrument ever.

You do mean real bass and not bass guitar, right?
Quote by theogonia777
yeah, keys are awesome, but all the people i know are all like "zomg like keys are gay and for pussy metal" and stuff like that. like it's not br00tal or something silly like that.

but around here, there tend to be a higher ratio of good bassists than good guitarists. you don't tend to find as many people that suck at bass as you do that suck at guitar, cause bassists tend not to learn bass cause they think it's cool. from my experience anyway.

well, truth be told, key's ARN'T brutal, but they are still amazing, it just doesn't call for it in brutal music. Still love 'em though.

I know what you mean though, there are SO many guitarists, dime a dozen, but as far as any of them being anything SPECIAL, not so much, it's fairly rare around here to find a bassist, let alone a good one. Damn living in a small town.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Dude go for it. I learned guitar first, and its still my #1 instument, but imo bass is way more fun to play. Just look at is as a way to better yourself overall as a musician cause you can apply what you learn from guitar to bass and vice versa.
Quote by Tango616
well, truth be told, key's ARN'T brutal, but they are still amazing, it just doesn't call for it in brutal music. Still love 'em though.

hey man, keyboards can totally be in brutal music.

also TS, keep in mind that if you learn bass, it will help your guitar playing, and guitar will help your bass playing, and the two together can make for some great song writing or solo albums.
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Tango616

I know what you mean though, there are SO many guitarists, dime a dozen, but as far as any of them being anything SPECIAL, not so much, it's fairly rare around here to find a bassist, let alone a good one. Damn living in a small town.

Keys are way more brootal than any metal if you play them right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bbCCTfl2bo
Quote by theogonia777

piano. BUT, as good as the song and that piano was, it wasnt exactly brutal, the rest was brutal, but that was just used as a wicked fancy piano intro more so then being a huge part of the song as another instrument played such as COB uses key's or other metal bands. Brutal song, Awesome intro, might be brutal to PLAY no doubt, but still, like I said, it was used more so in an intro. The argument was keys BEING brutal, not being part of something brutal that comes afterwards. thanks for the song though, good stuff.

As to the other guy.....wat. I just.....wat.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Page 1 of 2