Hey guys!!

So, I was trying to setup my guitar and noticed that you should set the neck relief before the action.

So, my simple question is: before setting the neck relief. Do I lay the StopBar and Bridge flat on the guitar?? Adjust the neck and then raise them?

Thanks!
Gear:
LTD EC-50
Vypyr 30

Sanpera II funds: $206

Quote by JKHC
I know....in dumpsters, closets....what next? I'm going to stand outside for the rest of the day. Maybe a guitar will fall out of the sky and I can catch it.
I'd have to say leave them in a middle position then do your neck etc. and adjust from there. But I'm by far no expert
If you guitar was Ever set up properly I think you should start of with your neck adjustments and then see if you need to do the others
No. The "you should set the neck relief before the action" bit is if you're guitar neck is warping or bending in towards the front of your guitar. He means make sure your neck is straight and relatively level before trying to set your action. Here's an old diagram explaining it better than I can.

http://users.powernet.co.uk/guitars/setup5.htm

EDIT: Basically, and neck relief adjustments should take place before you restring it, and it's very hard to set the action/intonation on your bridge correctly without having strings on.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at May 19, 2011,
So I can set my neck dead straight if I want to?

And that didn't really answer my question about the bridge!

Gear:
LTD EC-50
Vypyr 30

Sanpera II funds: $206

Quote by JKHC
I know....in dumpsters, closets....what next? I'm going to stand outside for the rest of the day. Maybe a guitar will fall out of the sky and I can catch it.
You can set up your neck any way that you want to. But the typical setup is with a small amount of forward bow.

Here's how I measure neck curvature

. Fretting the 16th fret (6th string) with my right hand

. Fret the 1st fret with my left hand (6th string).

.The distance between the 6th string and 7th fret should be about half the thickness of a credit card.

If there is hardly any gap at all or the string is touching the fret, the truss rod is too tight. If the gap is more than half the thickness of a credit card, the truss rod could do with being tightened slightly.

Adjust your neck curvature first before adjusting your bridge. There is no point in adjusting your bridge first because after you adjust the truss rod, you are going to have to re-adjust the bridge anyway to get the best out of the setup.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 20, 2011,
I capo the first fret (right on the fret just enough to fret the string, and not create unnessary string tension) to leave a hand free. Then fret the last fret (21, 22, or 24th). Measure your relief at the 7th, 9th, or whatever fret has the most clearance to the string.

If you have some feeler gauges, set your relief to somewere between .005" - .010". If you do not have feeler gauges, set it to the thickness of a treble E string and you will be good (ie: use a cut off piece of treble E string as a feeler).

Truss rod first, intonation last and anything else in between. Maintiain correct tuning throughout the process.

You should do some reading (try google) do not rely just on information you get in forums. Even mine.