I just switched out my Tascam US-1641 to a POD UX-2 because I'm going to be traveling and need something portable, however now im getting cracks and pops and fizzles. I have the latest drivers for the POD. Do I need to correct the buffer rate, bit depth or sample rate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You're plugging an interface into an interface...

Interfaception

Pls tell me what is Interfaception. and how to solve.

I'd start by increasing the buffer size. (sometimes labeled "latency")

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I've never had this problem with the US-1641 though, i dont think its CPU.
Quote:

Interfaception

yes i am. I also tried the Raseon Adapted that it came with. Same problem and its stuttering now. I tried increasing the buffer rate- no luck.
Quote:

Interfaception

Try ending some of the background processes using the task manager (if you're on a PC, dunno Mac equilivant) to free up some CPU/RAM usage? I find this always helps with me.
Quote by Afroboy267
Try ending some of the background processes using the task manager (if you're on a PC, dunno Mac equilivant) to free up some CPU/RAM usage? I find this always helps with me.

Tried that. no cigar. Any other help? This is really messing me up, if you have any tips please share. Thanks.
Quote:

Interfaception

I am not familiar with either interface, but if everything was working properly at the same buffer size with your previous interface, my best guess would be that the drivers for the new one are bad. I would suggest downloading and installing the free Asio4All drivers and see if that makes a difference.

Other than that, cracks and pops might be due to spikes in DPC latency, which in turn can be caused by any badly coded driver running on your system. You say you want to be mobile, so I'll assume you're on a laptop; in which case, the most common culprit is wireless network drivers. So I'd try disabling that -- as in, don't just disconnect the network, go to the control panel and disable the hardware device.

You may want to try the diagnostic tool DPC Latency Checker (address below; the site also has some advice on finding bad drivers and such). It'll let you see if indeed you have problems with spikes in DPC latency, and whether the problem goes away if you try disabling some driver. On my laptop, when it was running Vista, I also saw some improvements from disabling Aero and reverting back to the 'Windows classic' look. If you're gonna start messing around with drivers, obviously only disable things that you don't actually need when recording. If you really don't know what you're doing, it's probably safest to leave it alone.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

All this is assuming you're on Windows, of course. If you have a Mac, I'm afraid I'm totally clueless.
Thanks for the ASIO4ALL idea, i tried that and it seems to be the trick. However now i only have two of my interfaces inputs available instead four
Quote:

Interfaception

They may just be disabled by default. Click the 'advanced options' tab in the control panel (the wrench in the corner) and you should get a list of all available inputs and outputs and should be able to enable them manually.

Glad it seemed to solve the cracks and pops for you anyway.
So, I was wrong with the ASIO4ALL. I still have the problem with that driver.

However, i tried the DPC Latency Checker and that was the key. Every 30 seconds or so, the graph spikes with like 8 red bars and i get the cracks and pops just then.

Now how do I locate which bad driver(s) to fix?
Quote:

Interfaception

Last edited by Slapp62 at May 23, 2011,
Quote by Slapp62
So, I was wrong with the ASIO4ALL. I still have the problem with that driver.

However, i tried the DPC Latency Checker and that was the key. Every 30 seconds or so, the graph spikes with like 8 red bars and i get the cracks and pops just then.

Now how do I locate which bad driver(s) to fix?

I had this exact same problem with my Fast Track MKII...It would be fine for ~30 seconds and start to crack/pop and got worse and only worked again if I increased/decrased the latency and set it back. My fix was to download the newest drivers for the INTERFACE, I'm not talking about ASIO drivers or anything, but the actual physical interface drivers for your OS. Check the website, hope it works for you too.
Quote by MaskedMurader23
I had this exact same problem with my Fast Track MKII...It would be fine for ~30 seconds and start to crack/pop and got worse and only worked again if I increased/decrased the latency and set it back. My fix was to download the newest drivers for the INTERFACE, I'm not talking about ASIO drivers or anything, but the actual physical interface drivers for your OS. Check the website, hope it works for you too.

Tried that already.

I found the problem causing the DPC latency spikes, its my WLAN PCIe CArd. But i installed the newer drivers and it still isnt working right. The only way to stop the cracks and pops is by disabling the card, wich then cause me to lose my internet connection, besides being a real pain in the butt to have to disable everytime i want to work.
Quote:

Interfaception

Quote by Slapp62
I found the problem causing the DPC latency spikes, its my WLAN PCIe CArd. But i installed the newer drivers and it still isnt working right. The only way to stop the cracks and pops is by disabling the card, wich then cause me to lose my internet connection, besides being a real pain in the butt to have to disable everytime i want to work.

Well, at least you've found a workaround then. Unfortunately this is a pretty common problem with PC laptops. Most just aren't designed with real-time tasks in mind.

Does it work ok if you disable the wireless and use a network cable instead? Out of curiosity, what Windows version are you using?
I havent tried it with a network cable but I'm using windows 7 64 bit
Quote:

Interfaception

honest to god, to me it sounds like you need either more memory (which probably isn't the case) or to clean your computer. delete the unnecessary programs. dont let things start up unless you tell them to. clear off as much crap as possible. defrag your computer. then when all that is done, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE RECORDING! this will ensure you dont have background programs sucking up memory. the spikes you're getting is exactly this. something suddenly starting up taking up your memory.