Okay, so, I've decided to play guitar. Well, where do I begin? Anyone know some good songs or riffs that are good for just getting started? How do I get on the right track for learning?
It's boring, but learning all your chords and tunings and general info like that is the best thing to start out with. After that, popular songs are Smoke On The Water, bits of Crazy Train - basically anything (possibly cliche and overplayed) you'd heard on the radio or at Guitar Center is probably a good bet. Simple Metallica songs, Ozzy, Sabbath, all those are fair game.
modes are a social construct
Quite a few Beatles songs are relatively simple and easy to learn and are definitely good to know. Day Tripper, Ticket to Ride, Two of Us, You've got to Hide your Love Away, etc. Pretty basic riffs, chords, and rhythms. Good foundational stuff to learn and good songs to play.
Quote by AussieRHCP
Quite a few Beatles songs are relatively simple and easy to learn and are definitely good to know. Day Tripper, Ticket to Ride, Two of Us, You've got to Hide your Love Away, etc. Pretty basic riffs, chords, and rhythms. Good foundational stuff to learn and good songs to play.

day tripper was the very first song i learned to play
1st I want to recommend to get a teacher if you plan on playing seriously, that being said here are a bunch of songs that have simple riffs:

smells like teen spirit - nirvana
come as you are - nirvana
enter sandman - metallica (specifically the intro)
fade to black - metallica (only the acoustic intro the rest of the song gets kind of difficult)
santaria - sublime
kryptonite - 3 doors down
smoke on the water - deep purple (especially intro)
crazy train - ozzy (the intro)
come together - the beatles
plush - stone temple pilots (the intro)
free fallin' - tom petty
brainstew - green day
she - green day
eye of the tiger - survivor
my own worst enemy - lit
seven nation army - white stripes
machinehead - bush

only choose one or two songs at a time and work your way through, also work on chords. learn all the open chords, and when you're done with that move on to barre chords.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Instead of learning specific songs, play along to the vocal melodies of your favourite songs. You could play it on one string, or multiple, but thats a good way to get into guitar playing. It gives you an idea of where notes are, stretching your fingers, identifying notes and so on.

If you are set on looking for specific songs, you should do a search. There are plenty of 'songs for beginners' threads of this site.
Been away, am back
Anything by the Sex Pistols.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by BlueSpring
Okay, so, I've decided to play guitar. Well, where do I begin? Anyone know some good songs or riffs that are good for just getting started? How do I get on the right track for learning?

Learn to read tabs. It's not going to get you as far as actually learning how to read sheet music (Learn to read the staff eventually, by the way.), but for starting out, it does fine.

Then, look up songs that you like, and then mess around.

Meanwhile, make sure to read up on proper technique. I'm not sure about this, but I'm positive www.justinguitar.com does talk about proper technique. Go through the beginner course of Justin Guitar.

I actually got started using the Dummy's Guide to Guitar in the first few months when I started playing. Not much focus on technique, but I found that it helped me get started. Helped me learn the chords.

Edit: Make sure your guitar is actually tuned. I spent a week or two with an untuned acoustic. I transcribed the introduction to Waiting For You by Richard Marx and it turned out that I was playing it wrong, even though it sounded correctly. It's not critical for learning technique and working on your muscle memory for playing chords, but it is not a good feeling to feel that stupid.
Last edited by triface at May 22, 2011,
When I was taught my teacher taught me a little theory, taught me the E, A, F#m, and D chords, and taught me how to play a song on the first day. I took the four chords home and practiced them with a few songs. He didn't teach me lead for months. For me, lead guitar came after I began to enjoy and seriously play guitar. I'd start off with chords (from personal experience).
XBL: Kgrimes2
Steam: The_Anfauglir
Gamecenter: Kgrimes2
Wii Friend Code: 4970 3999 0634 0858
Twitter: KevinGrimes2
old thread, bumped by a video spammer and the TS never posted again!

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com