So I've got an Epiphone Les Paul, decent guitar, kinda old by now. Recently the neck pick up almost totally gave out, and can't get louder than a "1" on the volume knob...I've been wanting to replace to pickups in it for awhile as it is actually a very well built guitar and the wood seems very higher quality for the price (you know how guitars of the same type sound/feel different? Well this one sounds much better than a standard Epiphone LP). I short, I want to put some decent humbuckers in this guitar. Unfortunately, pickups are not my area of expertise. I've got Dimarzios in my Ibanez (PAF Joe and FRED) and the PAF sounds AMAZING, but is too "crystaline" sounding (I hope that makes sense) for how I want the LP to sound. I've been checking out the LiquiFire and it seems to be what I'm looking for. However, I've also heard much praise towards Seymore Duncans, I just know NOTHING about them.

The sound I'm going for is heavy, thick, rich in the bridge and the neck to be like the PAF with that liquidy, crystaline sound, just a bit fuller and richer as well.

This is what I mean by the crystal-like sound, almost glassy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgUwD9e8uNM

SO like that but fuller...I'm sorry if this makes no sense, I'll try to clarify anything that's misunderstood.

Thanks for the read and I really would like to get some advice

CORRECTION: It's a PAF *Joe* not Pro, my mistake
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Last edited by boratian at May 19, 2011,
Liquifire / Crunch Lab?
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
The LiquiFire is a very full and (surprise) fluid pickup. I'm not sure if it's much like a PAF, but if that's what you want, it's definitely a great choice.

When I read that you had a PAF Joe that just wasn't quite getting what you wanted, the PAF Pro popped into my head. I have one in my RG2120X in the neck position. I'm not a huge fan, but I like really smooth and fluid sounding neck pickups (like the LiquiFire, which i have in my RG570).
Dimarzios - Breed bridge, Humbucker from Hell neck...you just described them perfectly
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Dimarzios - Breed bridge, Humbucker from Hell neck...you just described them perfectly

I assume you got some stocks in Dimazio's.
I have seen 3 threads by now that described the "HfromH" perfectly, starting to wonder by now.

What is the sound you're aiming for? is there a Band or track that can specify a little more what you are trying to achieve ?
Last edited by Dennis_SG at May 20, 2011,
Most people are biassed to certain types of p/u's. So I'll give you a rundown on my preferinces.
Dimarzio makes some very nice p/u's I like the Super Distortion's that are in my LP clone they give it a agressive PAF tone. However some of there p/u's are just not for me. I have a Epi G-400 that I have put a Seymour Duncan SH-4 in the bridge and it made the guitar come alive with a great agressive edge( I prefer these to the Dimarzio's). I have also loaded a guitar with the Duncan SH-6 and it is a great p/u if you don't need any cleans. I also have a Dean Evo that I put GFS Fat Pat's in and for the $ you'd be hard pressed to find anything that comes close(the set cost what 1 Duncan/Dimarzio does). Some people like EMG/active p/u's, not my taste but you'd have to change out all of the electronics in your guitar. You my get some coments about Bare Knuckle p/u's and they are amazing, but they are also very expensive and not worth puting in an Epi unless you are in love with it.
But go to the Duncan and Dimarzio sites and they both have a tone guide where you input the style of music and other info about the guitar you have and will suggest several different types of pickups.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dennis_SG
I have seen 3 threads by now that described the "HfromH" perfectly, starting to wonder by now.

What is the sound you're aiming for? is there a Band or track that can specify a little more what you are trying to achieve ?

It might be because all those people wanted a humbucker with clear, bright, glassy cleans, or an extremely versatile pair of pickups

Then again it might not.

PS. If you're still using a Line 6 Spider and a Behringer V-Amp then you pretty much forfeited your right to have an opinion on these matters
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
It might be because all those people wanted a humbucker with clear, bright, glassy cleans, or an extremely versatile pair of pickups

Then again it might not.

PS. If you're still using a Line 6 Spider and a Behringer V-Amp then you pretty much forfeited your right to have an opinion on these matters

Just because he is using low-end gear doesn't mean he can't point out how you've been suggesting the same pickup all the time and offer advice to the thread starter as to what pickups he could look into...

The Guitar Gods don't magically bestow a $1500 tube amp to anyone who realizes that their current gear isn't that good.
Quote by steven seagull

I agree!

these pickups are exactly what the TS asked for.

Quote by Dennis_SG

the humbucker from hell is a "perfect" recommendation when someone wants a very clean, bright, and glassy humbucker
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Last edited by JLT73 at May 20, 2011,
Quote by Pac_man0123
Just because he is using low-end gear doesn't mean he can't point out how you've been suggesting the same pickup all the time and offer advice to the thread starter as to what pickups he could look into...

The Guitar Gods don't magically bestow a $1500 tube amp to anyone who realizes that their current gear isn't that good.

Ok, you've rumbled me...I'm actually Larry Dimarzio and I'm desperate for a new Dyson. I'd normally be alright for the cash but the budgie's had go go to the vet because he's been having dizzy spells. I always thought it'd cost less for them to treat a smaller animal but evidently that's not the case. I just wanted to take his mini roundabout off him as I think that's the problem but the wife won't entertain the idea as she says it's his favourite toy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Ok, you've rumbled me...I'm actually Larry Dimarzio and I'm desperate for a new Dyson. I'd normally be alright for the cash but the budgie's had go go to the vet because he's been having dizzy spells. I always thought it'd cost for them to treat a smaller animal but evidently that's not the case. I just wanted to take his mini roundabout off him as I think that's the problem but the wife won;'t entertain the idea as she says it's his favourite toy.

ah ha! I knew it!
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah