So, have a AudioChoice QM4 by SoundTech 4 channel amp that I use to boost my mic for my recordings, and this thing has a problem with overheating within 10 minutes to the point that it'll just flat out turn off. If I give it about 15 minutes to cool it'll turn back on with no problems, and if I put a fan over the heat sink it'll never overheat...but the thing doesn't have a cooling fan to begin with, and I doubt that this is normal operation for this thing.

I would rather not keep using the fan cause it causes alot of noise. The amp is a solid state amp. So, anybody got any ideas?
Any chance you can see evidence of warping if the amp components are set on a PCB?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at May 19, 2011,
is the sink actually making contact with all the transistors? cause if not, there's your overheating problem. If need be, put some thermal grease in between the transistors and the sink.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
No, not really, it doesn't have a very large cooling grill, but the heat sink is rather large. I guess I'll have to pull it apart tomorrow and see what it looks like inside. I just don't want to be killed by this thing cause it is a 100 watt amp.

When it does overheat, you can see the heat coming off of it, like you would when your looking at the road in the summer heat.
ethan, you won't be. It's really only tube amps you have to worry about, since transistors keep conducting unlike tubes. unplug it and flick the power switch and to my knowledge you'll be fine.

Also, that's really damn hot. See if you can find some heat pipes or something.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
put a bag of ice on it hahaha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by oneblackened
ethan, you won't be. It's really only tube amps you have to worry about, since transistors keep conducting unlike tubes. unplug it and flick the power switch and to my knowledge you'll be fine.

Also, that's really damn hot. See if you can find some heat pipes or something.

Oh, ok, I'm trusting you on this, if I die it's your fault.

I'll take some pictures of the inside of this thing tomorrow. Hopefully it's not too hard to get apart, has a nice tough case on the thing, heavy duty.

I know, this thing gets stupidly hot, I was in the middle of recording when it decided to over heat, and when it clicked itself off, it made a perfect analog wave like a sideways S and then a straight line in the middle of that S, was pretty cool to see what it looks like in waveform when it shuts off, but idk.
album cover? haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The power trannsistors may be giving you advanced warning that they are about to blow. With any luck they are something cheap like 2N3055. Get a price on them, if you are going to be redoing the thermal paste anyway you may as well take the opportunity to swap them out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
OT: But i remember using some old synths that you had to jack two fans on top of to stop it overheating. Old tech can sometime be pretty bad
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by cliff_em_all
OT: But i remember using some old synths that you had to jack two fans on top of to stop it overheating. Old tech can sometime be pretty bad

Yeah, I know what you mean, but this amp seems to be rather well built, I'm wondering if I could rig my old laptop fan into it, since the fan is just a four wire and it's very low noise.

EDIT: The laptop fan I can use is a four wire, 5 volt DC, .4 amp fan.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at May 20, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, I know what you mean, but this amp seems to be rather well built, I'm wondering if I could rig my old laptop fan into it, since the fan is just a two wire and it's very low noise.

Would it be powerful enough? This looks like a pretty big unit.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by cliff_em_all
Would it be powerful enough? This looks like a pretty big unit.

Well, it was in my Asus G71, and that laptop would get really friken hot, and it would blow pretty good. I mean, you don't need too much airflow across the heatsink, it's just when there's none, it overheats, cause the heat just sits there.

EDIT: I just read something on another board saying that operating the amp with the improper load could cause it to overheat, and it will go into protection mode, which is where it shuts down. I've been using this thing as a mic preamp, and I don't have it hooked up to any kind of load, since it is a solid state amp.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at May 20, 2011,