So, yesterday I got a job at a Pawn Shop. To my dismay, they currently don't have shite for guitars. The only thing that caught my eye was a Squier Broncho Bass for like 90 bucks.

Its got the Maple neck and fretboard, the way I like it. But it's only got one little wimpy looking pickup, although it has a white-out cover, which I like.

I already own a Squier P-bass, with the stupid rosewood fretboard and the single two-part black pick-up.

So, should I buy the Broncho and swap out the electronics, or just trade for the Broncho?

I don't know much about Bass, so help is appreciated.
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
it's bronco like the horse lol, and they are supposed to be secret gems, ask din. You must be new to bass to say a p bass is stupid put a rails replacement strat pickup in the bronco and you're golden
Quote by askrere
it's bronco like the horse lol, and they are supposed to be secret gems, ask din. You must be new to bass to say a p bass is stupid put a rails replacement strat pickup in the bronco and you're golden

I'm not dissing on the P-bass, I just don't like the rosewood fretboard.

I don't really have the money to buy any replacement parts, so I'm just trying to figure out which bass has better electronics so I can put them on the bronco.
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
Quote by JonnyMonster91
I'm not dissing on the P-bass, I just don't like the rosewood fretboard.

I don't really have the money to buy any replacement parts, so I'm just trying to figure out which bass has better electronics so I can put them on the bronco.

Buy some Guitarfetish pickups, they are under $50, and are rather decent. I threw a GFS Pro B P bass pickup in my Gio and it's a pretty badass vintage sounding pickup for $30.
well din has one and loved it, but hes always seemed rather unconventional so it might not be for everyone. im sure he'll chime in on this thread eventually.

what kind of music do you play? its kind of hard to tell you what you should get when I have no idea what you'll be doing with it.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I bought one a couple months back (posted a review on this site) for a modification project. If the neck is acceptable and the body is in good shape, I believe these basses can be greatly improved with a simple re-soldering of the electronics and a shielding job.

I am still amazed at how well the stock pickup sounds on mine even with my tone switch wide open. The only caveat being that I did replace the volume pot with a "genuine" Fender unit. I did add another pickup and a 5-way switch but, like I say, when eveything else is out of the loop, I find myself using the stock (middle) pickup as much as any other config on the bass.
Hey hey hey!!

Yes... i do, indeed LOVE my modded Squier Bronco...

But...

It is BECAUSE of the mod. Even stock, though, i LIKED the Bronco. But my modding has really turned it into a bass i can gig and be proud of my tone.

But...

That's ME!! I know the tone i like, i know my stlye, i know what's comfortable... but, what works for all those areas for me may not work for you.

A P bass is a great bass, for sure.

But...

REAL TALK!!!:

-You can get a much better P bass than an Affinity P. Sure, it's great for modding. But so are other P basses that are cheap and give you a better platform (Squier CV and VM series, as well as SX).
-A Bronco, on the other-hand, is a VERY good short-scale that has the potential to sound and play better than a myrriad of it's contemporarries.
-The real question is, what will work best for YOU. Bring your P bass, sit down, and try them both through the same amp to really get a good side-by-side compairison.

Good luck... if you have any Bronco-specific questions, i'd be more than happy to try and help!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."