My band is currently writing a song that starts out with the rythm guitar playing a couple of chords that sounds like mexican, and i'm gonna play some solo stuff over it that fits. but havent really played anything like that before, which scale should i use that could fit the sound im looking for? Mexico like theme, maybe a little flamenco sounding :P
What is the chord progression? You can get an equally spanishy/mexican sound from the minor scale as the phrygian.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
it's actually just an E Major played back and forth from the first and second fret, it's just gonna be an intro, and then break into something more heavy rock/metal like :P
Quote by SupaScoopar
it's actually just an E Major played back and forth from the first and second fret, it's just gonna be an intro, and then break into something more heavy rock/metal like :P

Soo can I assume that the progression is E - Fmaj7b5?

Really think about the chords to figure out the appropriate scale.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Soo can I assume that the progression is E - Fmaj7b5?

Really think about the chords to figure out the appropriate scale.

Dude i have no idea, not that good at theory yet :s
Quote by SupaScoopar
Dude i have no idea, not that good at theory yet :s

Well Im not sure how much a scale will help you then, but this is a good opportunity to learn next time you get stuck.
Soundcloud
I can improvise with scales when i know which mode the song goes in etc, I just have no idea what you mean be "Fmaj7b45" ;P
Quote by SupaScoopar
I can improvise with scales when i know which mode the song goes in etc, I just have no idea what you mean be "Fmaj7b45" ;P

Well you don't even know if it's in a mode or key at all, let alone which one it is. Sure I "could" tell you a possible answer, but if you don't even know the chords used, there is a large chance that the answer is incorrect.

Cmon, if you think modes are easy you should be able to figure out some itty bitty chords
Soundcloud
Analyse the type of music you want to sound like. This is the only way you will understand a genre and be able to write in it.

Chords have little to do with it, you can have a i iv V sound spanish, Reggae, Classical, Bluesy...

All the musical elements such as Melody, rhythm, harmony, structure + form (not the same thing), instrumentation, texture etc combined make up a style.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at May 20, 2011,
Quote by griffRG7321
Analyse the type of music you want to sound like. This is the only way you will understand a genre and be able to write in it.

Chords have little to do with it, you can have a i iv V sound spanish, Reggae, Classical, Bluesy...

All the musical elements such as Melody, rhythm, harmony, structure + form (not the same thing), instrumentation, texture etc combined make up a style.

+1000000 !!!