Guitar is an inexpensive basswood Ibanez GRG. Going through a Line 6 POD. And VST ampsims. Mainly a recording instrument, a LITTLE bit of gigging maybe.

Currently, it has a D Sonic/Air Norton in it, I installed them when I was in my John Petrucci phase, LOL. Did quite a nice job, now I want to try out the active tone, because I'm in the djent phase

Yeah I was going for a 7 string but then there is NO 7 with the EXACT specs that I want, so I decided to wait, increase my budget, and wait for the model with MY EXACT SPECS t come out, then buy the 7.

In the meantime I'll be playing in Drop C, stuff like this: http://soundcloud.com/cowsonthebeach/old-djenty-riff-re-mixed

Will, say, an EMG 81/60 combo do me any good?

i personally like the dimarzios you have better than emgs haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by TubeAmp89
Guitar is an inexpensive basswood Ibanez GRG. Going through a Line 6 POD. And VST ampsims. Mainly a recording instrument, a LITTLE bit of gigging maybe.

Currently, it has a D Sonic/Air Norton in it, I installed them when I was in my John Petrucci phase, LOL. Did quite a nice job, now I want to try out the active tone, because I'm in the djent phase

Yeah I was going for a 7 string but then there is NO 7 with the EXACT specs that I want, so I decided to wait, increase my budget, and wait for the model with MY EXACT SPECS t come out, then buy the 7.

In the meantime I'll be playing in Drop C, stuff like this: http://soundcloud.com/cowsonthebeach/old-djenty-riff-re-mixed

Will, say, an EMG 81/60 combo do me any good?

Emgs 81/60 is a perfext upgrade for any guitar. I have two guitars set up with emg 81/85s.

If your on a budget try Dragonfire 81/75 style active pickups. they have a tight low end as where an emg has tight mids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iL1R92T1Gs

thats a video i made 2 years ago showing the tones of dragonfires and emgs
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by mikevmpr3
Emgs 81/60 is a perfext upgrade for any guitar. I have two guitars set up with emg 81/85s.

If your on a budget try Dragonfire 81/75 style active pickups. they have a tight low end as where an emg has tight mids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iL1R92T1Gs

thats a video i made 2 years ago showing the tones of dragonfires and emgs

Dude thanks for the video, that sounds quite nice!
Quote by TubeAmp89
Dude thanks for the video, that sounds quite nice!

your welcome =D
--The GEAR--
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To the guys who posted above: Yeah I know a lot of you prefer passives and so do I, but I want to see how actives work for djenting. So asking for a recommendation. Preferably a pickup that doesn't rely on the wood that much for tone, it's a GRG, remember?
TBH I would take your $200 and keep saving and go and buy a decent 2nd hand LTD or something mate.

No point putting that much money into a GRG. I wouldnt have even bothered putting the Dimarzios in it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
True, back then I was young and naive lol. BUT it does sound a lot better than it did stock.
Quote by Tom 1.0
TBH I would take your $200 and keep saving and go and buy a decent 2nd hand LTD or something mate.

No point putting that much money into a GRG. I wouldnt have even bothered putting the Dimarzios in it.

eff that. I got the ltd viper100fm for 245 USD with stock pickups. they sound HORRIBLE, i could not find a single happy medium with either the bridge or the neck pickups and they are MUDDY. i raised the bridge pup almost touching the string trying to get maximum output but nothing worked. and esp/ltds are known for metal no? Not to mention they couldnt pinch harmonic for shit. eventually i swapped out for... whaddaya know, emg 81 85, now is one of my fav guitars.
--The GEAR--
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
Quote by mikevmpr3
eff that. I got the ltd viper100fm for 245 USD with stock pickups. they sound HORRIBLE, i could not find a single happy medium with either the bridge or the neck pickups and they are MUDDY. i raised the bridge pup almost touching the string trying to get maximum output but nothing worked. and esp/ltds are known for metal no? Not to mention they couldnt pinch harmonic for shit. eventually i swapped out for... whaddaya know, emg 81 85, now is one of my fav guitars.

bottom line is , there is no use buying a whole new guitar for shit tone, when you can play a guitar you're used to playing, and further enjoy it with an upgrade.
--The GEAR--
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
Edit button dude, use it.

100 series LTDs are still much better quality that GRGs. Though if you couldnt do Pinch Harmonics, well thats a technique issue really. EMGs will not make his GRG suddenly sound amazing, they will make it sound better, but not incredible.

A GRG is like what $100? So it just seems to be false economy to put $200 worth of pups into it. GRGs are no better than starter guitars, your just wasting money by upgrading them, there is nothing about a GRG that is good or solidly built. They arent guitars that you could gig every week or that will last you a very long time.

The best thing about his one is if he buys a nicer guitar he already has some great pups lying around.

Quote by TubeAmp89
True, back then I was young and naive lol. BUT it does sound a lot better than it did stock.

I know the feeling mate, but those Dimarzios would be great for Djent mate, if you look at the Djent bands, they all use passive pups, I think Misha uses BKPs and did use alot of Dimarzios back in the day

I'm in the process of replacing my 81/60 combo with a BKP set of Coldsweats. EMGs arent that "tight" IMO its a much your technique as your gear.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 20, 2011,
It's a $250 GRG actually

But yeah, I heard that actives tend to mask the negative effects of poor wood in the tone. And I've been hearing that consistently. Hence, I asked.
I tend to value things on 2nd hand value, sorry

They do to an extent, but not as much as people make out they do. If you have $200 saved up, keep saving and see what the 2nd hand market has available to you, after all, you have got a set of great pups to upgrade something nicer with when you get it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Edit button dude, use it.

100 series LTDs are still much better quality that GRGs. Though if you couldnt do Pinch Harmonics, well thats a technique issue really. EMGs will not make his GRG suddenly sound amazing, they will make it sound better, but not incredible.

A GRG is like what $100? So it just seems to be false economy to put $200 worth of pups into it. GRGs are no better than starter guitars, your just wasting money by upgrading them, there is nothing about a GRG that is good or solidly built. They arent guitars that you could gig every week or that will last you a very long time.

The best thing about his one is if he buys a nicer guitar he already has some great pups lying around.

I know the feeling mate, but those Dimarzios would be great for Djent mate, if you look at the Djent bands, they all use passive pups, I think Misha uses BKPs and did use alot of Dimarzios back in the day

I'm in the process of replacing my 81/60 combo with a BKP set of Coldsweats. EMGs arent that "tight" IMO its a much your technique as your gear.

hahah technique issue really, bite me dude really i own both a "jewelblue" finish Gio rg, and the ltd. the gio is a shredders dream come true. your an ispiration to find another ltd with stock pups just to make a comparison. and as far as im concerned active pickups are generally appointed more towards those with a hardon for distortion, just b/c of its high output.
hence why i use em \m/
--The GEAR--
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
Last edited by mikevmpr3 at May 20, 2011,
Quote by TubeAmp89
It's a $250 GRG actually

But yeah, I heard that actives tend to mask the negative effects of poor wood in the tone. And I've been hearing that consistently. Hence, I asked.

If for whatever inexplicable reason you want to keep your starter guitar and want to lose the bad tonewood sound, the EMG route is definitely viable. But to upgrade a starter guitar for the sake of upgrading, you might as well save money for something better.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Actually, I've been saving up for a great seven string. I have about $700 now, if I can increase it to about 1200-ish, I have some AMAZING options, I'm thinking Carvin Right now there are no guitars in my budget that give me EXACTLY what I want. Plus I'm in India so the used market is terrible, you can find nothing here. Yeah, I guess it makes sense to wait. But the wait is going to be LOOOOOONG Which is why I wanted to get actives for my Ibby. But if the tone isn't going to be affected as much, I might as well let it go, and make do...