Page 1 of 2
Pit,

What are your views on population control?

My country is trying to pass a reproductive health bill to educate the masses about contraceptives and giving away free condoms for those that need it.

The major opposition for this is the church. They say that it is anti-life and promotes abortion. But stated in our law is that abortion is illegal.

So pit what do you think?

Does a reproductive health bill help your country?
Quote by CoreysMonster
Yes it does and anybody that says otherwise can go to Mars and live with the microbes.

It's really facing a major opposition from the catholic church here.

Tell the priests to go to mars.
The church only opposes it because you cant reproduce with little boys. So they deem it unnecessary.
Quit my job blowin leaves
Telephone bills up my sleeves

And they were singin like this!
The thing is a lot of people in the rural areas in my country think that God actually wrote the bible and they really believe every word in the bible.

Apparently, so is Manny Pacquiao

The priests are taking advantage of this and milking this for all the people that believe this bullshit.

I don't hate religion though, I just don't like that they are taking advantage of people over this just so the cycle of corruption continues.

Our president though will still push through with this even though he will be excommunicated.
I don't hate religion though, I just don't like that they are taking advantage of people over this just so the cycle of corruption continues.

well they been doing this pretty consistently ever since they first formed.
Not that I'm saying you should hate them; hate is a pretty strong word.
Quote by GandalfWh1te
well they been doing this pretty consistently ever since they first formed.
Not that I'm saying you should hate them; hate is a pretty strong word.

I know...It's just kinda gets depressing after a while...
I don't think the government should have the right to do this... but the effect is probably positive.
Quote by trueamerican
I don't think the government should have the right to do this... but the effect is probably positive.

They're not forcing people to wear condoms, they're just spreading information and handing out condoms. You don't have to listen or take them, it's just an option.

OT: I think that stuff is vital. People shouldn't be forced to have kids they don't want, it drains resources and the kid would have a shitty life.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at May 20, 2011,
Quote by rgrockr
They're not forcing people to wear condoms, they're just spreading information and handing out condoms. You don't have to listen or take them, it's just an option.

Oh, I didn't read the article. I thought it was something that would prevent people from having children.
Just wondering, what country is this?

To answer your question: that is certainly something important. Not only to avoid overpopulation, also to decrease the national ecological footprint (although just advising people isn't going to do enough about that, but still...).
Most importantly though, it's important to decrease unwanted pregnancies and spreading of STDs

Just my 2 cents though
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

We have 3billion pesos in budget, that's like 60million dollars worth. I ain't wasting my taxes on shit like giving condoms to those who can afford it.
Quote by gothblade
The major opposition for this is the church. They say that it is anti-life and promotes abortion. But stated in our law is that abortion is illegal.

The catholic church thinks condoms are worse than aids.

Something tells me they're going to stay stupid about this.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Well, thank god (pun) that church and state are seperated. And wtf why is abortion illegal in your state? Did we go back to the 19th century?

edit: I think your country is doing the right thing. However I think they should go even further. I believe that every couple can only have 2 kids. You can have more, if others want to have less. Otherwise our mess on this earth is just getting bigger and bigger exponentially.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at May 20, 2011,
Either way, this isn't exactly 'population control'. That would be like "you can only have one kid and it has to be a boy" or something.
I think religion was invented by the Devil to slowly and completely destroy humanity.
Smile when you say that.
Only the church could be so backwards as to think that contraception somehow promotes abortion.

You know what promotes abortion? UNWANTED PREGNANCY!

That's exactly what contraception is there to avoid.
I don't see why a law needs to be passed for that, seems pretty stupid to me. I'm a conservative Christian and don't have a problem with the idea though. Also, the Church != Christianity as a whole. Lots of people in my church consider Catholicism a sect of Christianity.
sunbather is shit
The catholic church is no longer relevant. Contraceptives are a much more suitable alternative than unwanted pregnancy which would basically ruin your life if you're young.
I like the bill except Sec. 10.
We can't afford to include contraceptives in the regular purchase of essential medicines and supplies of all national and local hospitals, there are many medicines our countrymen need more than contraceptives. =\

Information for now would suffice. The arguments of anti-RH bill people depress me. D;
They show how uninformed most Filipinos are when it comes to reproductive health.

I do believe in God.
Religion? Meh, I've read the bible, and I don't need others to interpret it for me.
I like the bill except Sec. 10.
We can't afford to include contraceptives in the regular purchase of essential medicines and supplies of all national and local hospitals, there are many medicines our countrymen need more than contraceptives. =\

Contraceptives cost a lot less than babies do! Giving away free condoms is a tremendously cost efficient measure for any government's budget.
^hmmm. yeah, i know that. But I have two reasons why I don't like the idea of us spending money for contraceptives to be distributed for free:
1)I just don't trust our gov't. And now they want to spend some more for 'contraceptives'.
2) WE STILL DON'T HAVE A LONG TERM GOAL.
When our president won, I knew he doesn't have any plan where to take our country. He just patch problems with SHORT TERM SOLUTIONS. Contraceptives can wait(though I really want our countrymen be informed about reproductive health), there are other issues we must prioritize. If I were to choose what our president should focus, it's LAND REFORMS. We're a fricking agricultural country but most of our farmers don't own their land(OWNED BY LARGE UNDERPAYING CORPORATIONS)! >_>
Quote by poipoi
Just wondering, what country is this?

To answer your question: that is certainly something important. Not only to avoid overpopulation, also to decrease the national ecological footprint (although just advising people isn't going to do enough about that, but still...).
Most importantly though, it's important to decrease unwanted pregnancies and spreading of STDs

Just my 2 cents though

Sorry for the late reply. The Philippines. This country has for the most part not progressed much in terms of laws and bills. Rural areas are still for the most part....mostly uneducated.

Yes. It will decrease unwanted pregancies but the bishops and priests fail to see that.
Religion is a big part of our country you see. Just telling people that it is sensible won't really help in convincing them.
Quote by gust0713
^hmmm. yeah, i know that. But I have two reasons why I don't like the idea of us spending money for contraceptives to be distributed for free:
1)I just don't trust our gov't. And now they want to spend some more for 'contraceptives'.
2) WE STILL DON'T HAVE A LONG TERM GOAL.
When our president won, I knew he doesn't have any plan where to take our country. He just patch problems with SHORT TERM SOLUTIONS. Contraceptives can wait(though I really want our countrymen be informed about reproductive health), there are other issues we must prioritize. If I were to choose what our president should focus, it's LAND REFORMS. We're a fricking agricultural country but most of our farmers don't own their land(OWNED BY LARGE UNDERPAYING CORPORATIONS)! >_>

I think the sex education will still benefit us though. This bill should actually not be prioritized cause people can just buy contraceptives and condoms. But making the people aware that you should not just stick it in and have a baby will benefit the couple more when they haven't planned anything yet and just want to have some fun.

I kinda grimaced at the fact that a SENATOR actually said that preventing the sperm from meeting the egg cell is abortion.

Damn....that's just backward thinking right there
Last edited by gothblade at May 20, 2011,
^YEAH! It was epic fail, I wonder what's in the mind of those who voted for that senator.
There was a time when me and my friends were watching a debate about the RH bill and we were really disappointed at the participants' arguments. After a little while, we learned that most of them were congressmen and governors..depressing. =\
Quote by gust0713
^YEAH! It was epic fail, I wonder what's in the mind of those who voted for that senator.
There was a time when me and my friends were watching a debate about the RH bill and we were really disappointed at the participants' arguments. After a little while, we learned that most of them were congressmen and governors..depressing. =\

I feel you man...We really are under educated in terms of modernized views and logical thinking.

I just wish that one day we'll actually have change. For now let's just hope that bill will be passed.
Quote by Spud Spudly
Only the church could be so backwards as to think that contraception somehow promotes abortion.

You know what promotes abortion? UNWANTED PREGNANCY!

That's exactly what contraception is there to avoid.

Many Catholics look at contraceptives as abortion. The only purpose, in their eyes, to copulate is for reproduction.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by tayroar
Many Catholics look at contraceptives as abortion. The only purpose, in their eyes, to copulate is for reproduction.

Yeah. Telling Africans not to use condoms is one of the most morally abhorrent things the Catholic church has ever done.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah. Telling Africans not to use condoms is one of the most morally abhorrent things the Catholic church has ever done.

Most religious people have really become selfish and morally bankrupt...
I mean telling Africans not to use condoms is just wayward.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Most religious people have really become selfish and morally bankrupt...
I mean telling Africans not to use condoms is just wayward.

Contributing directly to the spread of AIDS in Africa is more than just a slap on the wrists. People died because of their bigoted dogma.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Contributing directly to the spread of AIDS in Africa is more than just a slap on the wrists. People died because of their bigoted dogma.

People died because of the catholic church?!

ALERT THE PRESSES!
Quote by CoreysMonster
People died because of the catholic church?!

ALERT THE PRESSES!

PRESSES ALERTED

like a boss.
Quote by niejel
We have 3billion pesos in budget, that's like 60million dollars worth. I ain't wasting my taxes on shit like giving condoms to those who can afford it.

As opposed to wasting your taxes on children that the parents can't support?
Page 1 of 2