Iv noticed splawn amps mentioned alot but iv never (ever) seen one for sale in any shop iv been in (UK). i will google it soon but i know it wont be in any regular outlet i use.

I dont know why but they just sound awesome and the name conjour images of gain so intense they melt faces.

Are they like this or am i in for a dissapointment? also how much do they retail for?
Im guessing if its a made in america amp like a peavey it will start around a grand?
P.S - im sort of after information that google wont have,
reliability
usefullness
gain
feedback levels
quality
how they compare to say a peavey
ect
ect

Thanks guys
Quote by stig354
Iv noticed splawn amps mentioned alot but iv never (ever) seen one for sale in any shop iv been in (UK). i will google it soon but i know it wont be in any regular outlet i use.

I dont know why but they just sound awesome and the name conjour images of gain so intense they melt faces.

Are they like this or am i in for a dissapointment? also how much do they retail for?
Im guessing if its a made in america amp like a peavey it will start around a grand?
reliability
usefullness
gain
feedback levels
quality
ect
ect

Thanks guys

If you like peavey, get a peavey. I always refer people to the same site www.guitarcenter.com under used gear.

5150s for about 600 or sometimes less USD.
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by mikevmpr3
If you like peavey, get a peavey. I always refer people to the same site www.guitarcenter.com under used gear.

5150s for about 600 or sometimes less USD.

Ok sorry for misconcenption if i wasnt clear

I am not planning on buying this and am not trying to compare it to anything.

Im just being nosey as i cant find out anything about them and they sound pretty cool. apparently they can be tweaked/customised.

how much can be customised and are they any good?
Quote by stig354

Im just being nosey as i cant find out anything about them and they sound pretty cool. apparently they can be tweaked/customised.

if they are tubed try hitting up fja, or voodoo mods. They specializ in modding/customizing tubed amps.

never heard of splawn tbh lol
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by mikevmpr3
if they are tubed try hitting up fja, or voodoo mods. They specializ in modding/customizing tubed amps.

never heard of splawn tbh lol

Splawn are a Boutique amp company. If you were to contact the builder directly you could arrange for mods on your amp for extra cost.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Splawn+Amplifiers

They are american made amps, based loosely on Marshall circuits but have a much higher gain level and a fairly different flavour to your regular jcm.

I really doubt you would find many if any Splawns in the UK as they are a small boutique company based in the US
Built to order hot roddded Marshall is the name of the game. They have tons of clips at the website go check it out.

Oh and in before 311zoojoojoobee
Guitars
Amps
Last edited by Matt15f at May 20, 2011,
Sounds great music sell splawns in the uk you can order online from them.

They will not be cheap though

Although saying that they arent TOO bad when you consider that they are around the same price as cornfords which are native to the uk AND they have to get across the ocean not to mention vat etc.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 20, 2011,
They're hot rodded Marshalls for the most part. Some of their amps seem to be something else all together, but they are high quality and handbuilt in NC. You can't compare them to Peavey. One is a mass produced amp, one is a custom handbuilt amp. They are also one of the best values in that boutique end of the market.
^ +1

You can't say they are like Peavey and because they are made in the United States they therefore must be around $1,000. That doesn't even makes sense. A new JSX is more like $1400 and there are many Mesa amps over $2000 to just name one other.

stig354 - what I would do is this if you are looking for a new amp (format wise)

is visit this thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

then visit this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1066497

and this:
http://splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm

You should have no problem finding info on Splawn if you google it. There are at least 2 dealers in Europe that could order one for you and possibly have one in stock. Your best bet is to buy one used off someone. There are several for sale on the Splawn fan forums and rig-talk.com. You can probably find a modded Marshall in your area for much cheaper. They are not the be all end all amps for gain but the Nitro will slay. The Quick Rod will cut. Deep.
I used to own a Quick Rod, gives some of the best tones I've ever heard. It did an incredibly ballsy Marshall sound, really thick and really rich, from Plexi to a "modernized" JCM800 sound and everything in between. Cleans aren't great but they're passable, fairly warm and forgiving IMO, they worked well enough for me. Tough to beat in the realm of Marshally tones. They've got gain for days and you'll be hard pressed to find better built amps. For the cash they are very hard to beat.

As for comparing them to a Peavey, you can't. Totally different tones and price range, all boils down to what you're looking for.

Also if the words "Bedroom volume" are in your vocabulary you need not apply.
Quote by stig354

reliability
usefullness
gain
feedback levels
quality
ect
ect

Thanks guys

I've owned two splawn quickrods.

The website gives prices. They're higher than you're thinking.
http://www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm

The Nitro is the insane face melting modern high gain head. The quickrods I had are more of a modded Marshall/Van Halen sort of thing with a pretty decent clean channel. Personally I like the way they sound, but not enough to replace my CAE rack setup.

Overall, good amps. The quality is top notch/boutique stuff - very good components and workmanship. Much more reliable than a Peavey. A lot of pro bands use Splawns. If you're going to use a 100watt head as a gigging amp, they're a good choice - the features are right to give you independent clean, rhythm and lead sounds without having to turn any knobs during a gig. That's nice.

Scott Splawn is very good to do business with - nice guy and very organized and timely which is not a given for small shops like that.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at May 20, 2011,
Quote by Shabadoo

Also if the words "Bedroom volume" are in your vocabulary you need not apply.

True. My quickrods started sounding pretty good at "too loud to talk over" and weren't really great below "ear bleed".
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by stig354

I would not pay the price of a Splawn only to mod it. That's silly - they're already a "modded" style high gain amps. If they don't sound the way you want, buy from someone else.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

I seriously might get a Nitro now i've found out that soundsgreat are a uk distributer. It's that or Laboga time.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by Even Bigger D
I would not pay the price of a Splawn only to mod it. That's silly - they're already a "modded" style high gain amps. If they don't sound the way you want, buy from someone else.

I think what other in this thread mean when they say 'mod' is get a customized headshell based on all of Scott's options and possibly a certain tube compliment. That is about all there is. Agreed that there is no need to mod a Splawn (except maybe to get an external bias trim pot) Also, for those that don't know Scott no longer mods Marshall amps.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ +1

You can't say they are like Peavey and because they are made in the United States they therefore must be around $1,000. That doesn't even makes sense. A new JSX is more like $1400 and there are many Mesa amps over $2000 to just name one other.

stig354 - what I would do is this if you are looking for a new amp (format wise)

is visit this thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

then visit this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1066497

and this:
http://splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm

You should have no problem finding info on Splawn if you google it. There are at least 2 dealers in Europe that could order one for you and possibly have one in stock. Your best bet is to buy one used off someone. There are several for sale on the Splawn fan forums and rig-talk.com. You can probably find a modded Marshall in your area for much cheaper. They are not the be all end all amps for gain but the Nitro will slay. The Quick Rod will cut. Deep.

i already said i was not looking for a new amp in a previous post
and when i said about a grand i was being generic meaning from a grand onwards, sorry for this.

i just wanted to know a little bit more about the company and their amps. thanks for the help guys
Quote by stig354
i already said i was not looking for a new amp in a previous post
and when i said about a grand i was being generic meaning from a grand onwards, sorry for this.

i just wanted to know a little bit more about the company and their amps. thanks for the help guys

Then how come in your OP you said you know they won't be in any local outlets implying you had planned on playing one? You shouldn't be rude to people only trying to help you. In other words, your OP should have read "Hey guys i'm too lazy to use Google right now so tell me about this amp."
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Then how come in your OP you said you know they won't be in any local outlets implying you had planned on playing one? You shouldn't be rude to people only trying to help you. In other words, your OP should have read "Hey guys i'm too lazy to use Google right now so tell me about this amp."

because any stuff i need to know i talk to the sales guys in local outlets, but as they dont stock, non of them really knew.