e|--------------------------|
B|--------------------------|
G|----------------------7---|
D|----------------7---------|
A|-9------------------------|
E|-7--7-7-7-7-7-7---7-7---7-|
h.h.h.h.h.h.h.h.h.h.h.

Tornado of Souls - Megadeth - the intro

HOW THE HELL do you finger that exactly?

not only that, but my harmonics dont make the loud sound they do on the recording, am I doing something wrong (putting my finger on the 7th fret, resting slightly on the string?)
Old strings will cause harmonics to be much quieter and if your intonation is off it will have the same effect.

cant comment on the fingering though
Bar the 7th fret harmonic with your index finger. Make sure the entire length of your finger is directly above the 7th fret. Don't push it down, obviously. Just lightly rest it there to get the harmonic sound, while palm muting.
Ok got it, bar the 7th and its better. My strings are really old (black) so its that the reason for the low sound?
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
Ok got it, bar the 7th and its better. My strings are really old (black) so its that the reason for the low sound?

your strings are old enough to turn black?!? probably time to change them man....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
your strings are old enough to turn black?!? probably time to change them man....

But then I have to buy new ones :S the point is Im waiting until they snap, does it really matter?
Yes it matters, I change mine every 2 months. I don't even know how long it takes strings to turn black but maybe you just have nasty fingers.

And did you intentionally phrase the title that way?
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at May 20, 2011,
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
Yes it matters, I change mine every 2 months. I don't even know how long it takes strings to turn black but maybe you just have nasty fingers.

And did you intentionally phrase the title that way?

My eBG strings are black coz I havent changed them in 4 months with heavy playing. The others look normal.

And yes I did.
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
My eBG strings are black coz I havent changed them in 4 months with heavy playing.

Ideally, you should change them as soon as they don't ring out as well or lose their shine. I buy anti-rust coated strings and they can last up to two weeks, normal strings last me a few days

Anyway, black = bad. Change them for a new set and you'll be able to hear (if not feel) the amazing difference!

...oh and harmonics are one of the first things to go with an old set of strings!
Everything with the index finger, and change your strings man. Old strings sound weak and thin, as opposed to the full, bright sound of new strings. Oh, how I love new strings. Also, wash your hands every time before you play, it will make the strings last longer. Ideally, wipe them off with a cloth after playing as well.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
i dont even want to think about how those strings feel....let alone sound like... :s

as said above, bar the 7th fret, and CHANGE YOUR DAMN STRINGS MAAAAAN!!!

get some coated stainless strings like DR Extra Lifes, or Tight Fits....or even Elixers they will last you a while...and you will notice a difference in how your guitar plays
Ibanez - Art320
Dean - Mustaine VMNT (silver)
BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone
Line6 Spider Valve II 212, Blackstar HT5C
Last edited by SolitaryOne at May 20, 2011,
Oh God... Just turn the tuning pegs until you can take the strings out, then put new ones on your guitar. Easy as anything, good luck. But if it's your first time, maybe read/watch a tutorial.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by RDSElite
Oh God... Just turn the tuning pegs until you can take the strings out, then put new ones on your guitar. Easy as anything, good luck. But if it's your first time, maybe read/watch a tutorial.

Uhh, before I snap them, in which direction exactly lol?
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
Uhh, before I snap them, in which direction exactly lol?

hit the note, now spin the tuning peg, is the note getting lower?

if yes, then keep spinning.

if no, then turn it the other way.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
hit the note, now spin the tuning peg, is the note getting lower?

if yes, then keep spinning.

if no, then turn it the other way.

Gotya, so just keep going lower ayy
You don't know how to take the strings off your guitar and you're asking how to play one of Megadeth's hardest songs? C'mon dude, haven't you heard the saying "you've gotta learn to walk before you can run". Learn the basics first then come back to harder songs like this when you're better.
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
Quote by mightmuffin
You don't know how to take the strings off your guitar and you're asking how to play one of Megadeth's hardest songs? C'mon dude, haven't you heard the saying "you've gotta learn to walk before you can run". Learn the basics first then come back to harder songs like this when you're better.

That is completely different and in no way related. I can play this song just after 4 months, but not the solo. Its not even that hard. If I practiced changing strings for 4 months, I'm sure I would see a rather similar result
Use Elixer nanowebs, they will last much longer than other strings, and have a very good feel to them.

Barre the 7th fret with only a definite note pressed on the E string, the rest lightly pressed and close to the fret as possible. Play as written, and make sure your left and right hand muting keep it sharp and clean.