What's going on guys.
I'm in a Pop-Punk band at the moment,
and I've saved up a couple grand to get some really nice gear.
I'm stuck between a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and an Orange Rockerverb 50.
I'd like some opinions from a few other people just to get an idea of what would be best.
Lemme know what you think!
I'm also running with a Telecaster with Seymour Duncan Invader Pickups.
I'm about to get a Les Paul with Burstbuckers as well.
Well. I really like the kind of crunch bands such as Four Year Strong, and Forever The Sickest Kids have. Were pretty much a mix of bands like New Found Glory, Set Your Goals. Stuff like that.
both amps should handle pop punk well. the important thing really is that you pick an amp that suits you. i would recommend that you try both of those amps thoroughly, and take more time deciding which is better for you. it's a lot of money to be spending on an amp, so if you can't decide you just need to spend more time thinking about it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
You can use anything for pop punk. Just go try out a bunch of amps and pick the one that strikes your fancy.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Unfortunately I don't really have a chance to go try out many Orange amps around here.
A lot of the stores don't even carry it.
I've been looking a lot at the Orange Rockerverb 50's and Thunderverbs.
I've played plenty Mesa heads and I'm trying not to get it too heavy.
It doesn't really matter what amp you use. As long as you get a good crunch out of it.

But if you want that FYS sound, they use Oranges, Mesas and Marshalls.
My band mate uses a sound similar to "Woah Oh" by FTSK. He uses a JCM2000.
Fall Out Boy use Mesas and Vox AC30s
Orange Rockerverbs, Mesa Rectifiers, and Marshall JCM2000 are really popular with Pop-Punk bands atm.

I've gigged with a Marshall JCM2000, a Marshall JVM410h, a Laney Gh50L and now a Mesa F30 with my band Last Letter Read.

The Dangerous Summer use Vox AC30s and Fender Deville.

Just don't crank the gain up to much on whatever you get and use a decent Overdrive for heavier parts. You'll sound wicked.

I'd advise you not to get any amps that sound to scooped or over saturated. For example 5150s, 6505, kranks etcs. (Just my opinion)

And for gods sake make sure your sound isn't to trebly. If you're thinking of getting a JCM900, I've found they have alot of high end. The thing I hate about alot of Pop-Punk bands starting out is a badly EQ'ed amp.

But yea! That's my 2 cents
---------------------------
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
Korg Pitch Black, MXR Carbon Copy.
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
Thanks for the advice man.
I'll definitely look into it.
I just want a really nice crunch a long with my sound. And my other guitar player has a Rockerverb 50, it sounds really good too.
Quote by Blompcube
both amps should handle pop punk well. the important thing really is that you pick an amp that suits you. i would recommend that you try both of those amps thoroughly, and take more time deciding which is better for you. it's a lot of money to be spending on an amp, so if you can't decide you just need to spend more time thinking about it.

+1 For that.
I think it's really important to get something that suits you best.
A lot of newer pop punk bands are scooping the mids a bit, not as much as some nu metal bands, but defiently a lot less mids than the late 80's/90's punk bands, and the Messa's apparently do that really nicely, not that I have ever had the pleasure of playing one.

I have noticed a lot of pop punk/punk rock bands tend to be using dual rectifier heads into marshall cabs, but then I have seen bands playing in smaller venues with Orange rocker 30's miced up, and they get an awesome sound out of them
I was actually planning on getting a Rocker 30, seems like you can definitely get a good sound out of that head.
I think out of those two i'd go with the mesa. But you should try the orange TH30, or the TH100 if you need more power. just ordered a th30 and it's awesome for that kinda stuff IMO!
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Quote by stueey
It doesn't really matter what amp you use. As long as you get a good crunch out of it.

But if you want that FYS sound, they use Oranges, Mesas and Marshalls.
My band mate uses a sound similar to "Woah Oh" by FTSK. He uses a JCM2000.
Fall Out Boy use Mesas and Vox AC30s
Orange Rockerverbs, Mesa Rectifiers, and Marshall JCM2000 are really popular with Pop-Punk bands atm.

I've gigged with a Marshall JCM2000, a Marshall JVM410h, a Laney Gh50L and now a Mesa F30 with my band Last Letter Read.

The Dangerous Summer use Vox AC30s and Fender Deville.

Just don't crank the gain up to much on whatever you get and use a decent Overdrive for heavier parts. You'll sound wicked.

I'd advise you not to get any amps that sound to scooped or over saturated. For example 5150s, 6505 , kranks etcs. (Just my opinion)

And for gods sake make sure your sound isn't to trebly. If you're thinking of getting a JCM900, I've found they have alot of high end. The thing I hate about alot of Pop-Punk bands starting out is a badly EQ'ed amp.

But yea! That's my 2 cents

Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by JakeWest187

I just want a really nice crunch a long with my sound. And my other guitar player has a Rockerverb 50, it sounds really good too.

In my experience the Mesas sound a little "crunchier" than the Oranges. If your other guitarist uses a Rockerverb I'd look at getting the Mesa; the two blend very well in my experience (the Orange sound is really mid-focused and the Mesa sound has a little more high and low end). It depends on whether you want to sound the same or not, I suppose.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Orange trump it tbh. The great thing is there's a fair bit of versatillity included in that price aswell.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
there are plenty of other high-end boutique amps out there, that would sound great and most likely better out there that you are over looking by restricting yourself to orange and mesa. both orange and mesa a great companies, but IMHO they don't do it like some of the boutique companies do.

+1 to you can play pop punk with anything, so don't worry about that so much, and just pick up something you like tonally in general. that is the only genre i would say that about.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've never had the opportunity to try out an Orange TH30, I saw that on the
dirty channel it has a "Shape" knob, anybody have any idea what that might sound like?
Quote by JakeWest187
I've never had the opportunity to try out an Orange TH30, I saw that on the
dirty channel it has a "Shape" knob, anybody have any idea what that might sound like?

A friend of mine owns one. Basically, it gives you different EQ-curves. It's not as versatile as your typical TMB-controls, but I was surprised how useful it actually was. Works well certainly, though depending on the guitar and speaker used, not all settings are great.
Ah I see, I like the Rocker 30 since you can actually mess with the Low, Hi, and Middle.
The rocker 30 doesn't have an FX loop, or as much gain either! but the TH30 is really useful. if you want a bit more versatility, add an EQ in the fx loop!
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Where are you at? My vote is for Mesa if you're in the US. Consider that Mesa are in California so if you have any trouble you can easily, cheaply, and quickly ship it to and from them for service if you have to. And the Mesa warranty is really good.

I also think you'll like the versatility. Besides all the different modes like vintage / modern / raw / pushed / etc, you can choose between 6L6 or EL34 tubes.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Ok here's a good example for you guys.
I'm looking for a crunchy type of sound like Four Year Strong, if you get
the chance listen to a song called " Abandon Ship Abandon All Hope "