Page 1 of 3
It is widely agreed that either Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven by Jimmy Page is the greatest solo of all time, or Eruption by Eddie Van Halen.

I couldnt disagree more.

Stairway to Heaven, while beautiful, is short, and slow. There is nothing special about it, nor particularly impressive.

Eruption, whilst extremely fast, is not impressive at all. I could do the finger tapping (which goes for half the song) after about 4 months of playing guitar, it is one of the easiest techniques you can do. I find chord switches harder. :S

The best solo of all time, the one that sounds the best, and sounds the most impressive:

Tornado of Souls by Megadeth, from Marty Friedman.

Agree/disagree?
I disagree music is a matter of taste
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at May 20, 2011,
Ever used the searchbar before TS?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Well, on behalf of the world, grow some sence and and try to understand that music is relative to those who listen to it, not on how fast or impressive it sounds.

The solo in Stairway to Heaven is simply from a time where solo´s where supposed to sound like that, slow and beautiful, and most people think this solo sounds the best.

Then, Eruption was a breakpoint for soloing back then. Nobody had ever done that before. So, at the same time "inventing" tapping, yeah the solo is one of the most... important solos in modern music. Not necesarily the best.

And Tornado of Souls solo suck ass. I recommend one solo, which is also my favorite, the one in Siege Engine by Buckethead.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Quote by Tim the Rocker
Well, on behalf of the world, grow some sence and and try to understand that music is relative to those who listen to it, not on how fast or impressive it sounds.

The solo in Stairway to Heaven is simply from a time where solo´s where supposed to sound like that, slow and beautiful, and most people think this solo sounds the best.

Then, Eruption was a breakpoint for soloing back then. Nobody had ever done that before. So, at the same time "inventing" tapping, yeah the solo is one of the most... important solos in modern music. Not necesarily the best.

And Tornado of Souls solo suck ass. I recommend one solo, which is also my favorite, the one in Siege Engine by Buckethead.

Did you really just say a solo by Kirk Hammet and Buckethead is better than Marty Friedman's? Are you retarded?
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
Did you really just say a solo by Kirk Hammet and Buckethead is better than Marty Friedman's? Are you retarded?

Yeah, IMO. And grow a pair.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx

Didn't you just post a thread earlier asking how to play a part of the solo from tornado of souls?

And I actually love megadeth but grow up he's entitled to his opinion of music, especially since he is a musician.

EDIT: why even ask a question if your gonna flip out that somebody disagrees with you?
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

there is no greatest solo of all time...there's just the solo that you like and suits your taste.

for example two of my favorite solos are razor's edge from DT's octavarium and pink floyd's time because of the phrasing.

it doesn't need to sound impressive...it needs to sound good and suit the song...if a guitar player is just going to play a solo to impress people and not for the song then imo he's a lousy musician

cheers
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
Didn't you just post a thread earlier asking how to play a part of the solo from tornado of souls?

And I actually love megadeth but grow up he's entitled to his opinion of music, especially since he is a musician.

EDIT: why even ask a question if your gonna flip out that somebody disagrees with you?

I just LOL'd, thats all. I prefer Metallica over Megadeth, but cmon, who compares Kirk Hammett to Marty Friedman? Its like comparing James Hetfield to Dave Mustaine! Comparing Zakk Wylde to Randy Rhoads. Its hilarious beyond recognition hahaha!
Quote by FireFromTheVoid

I flipped out with the "And Tornado of Souls solo suck ass." comment, I didnt realise people were so ignorant. They cant even justify it. Then Kirk, better than Marty... are you joking? Kirk = wah. Thats all.
I love the StH solo, its the first solo I learned. Eruption is total wankery, though. Tornado of souls is great aswell, but certainly not the best of Marty's works imo.

But Pink Floyd's High Hopes solo beats them all!
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
I just LOL'd, thats all. I prefer Metallica over Megadeth, but cmon, who compares Kirk Hammett to Marty Friedman? Its like comparing James Hetfield to Dave Mustaine! Comparing Zakk Wylde to Randy Rhoads. Its hilarious beyond recognition hahaha!

Funny enough I did not name Kirk Hammet in any moment... Marty is better than Hammet IMO. And Dave is better guitar player than James, again IMO. And yes, Randy was better than any other Ozzy guitarrist (IMO).

BUT

Buckethead > all.

... guess what? IMO!.

So, if we gotta argue guitar playing and music theory...

(Chose Pokemon as it will be a character you are still very familiar with as a 13-14 years old)
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
I flipped out with the "And Tornado of Souls solo suck ass." comment, I didnt realise people were so ignorant. They cant even justify it. Then Kirk, better than Marty... are you joking? Kirk = wah. Thats all.

He doesn't need cold hard fact to think a song sucks, its not a murder.
So don't get so worked up, when his musical taste doesn't even affect you.

EDIT: ^i have no idea what pokemon that is. I just remember that Mew 2 was bad ass.
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
I didnt realise people were so ignorant.

There's is great irony in this. When your wider view on music matures, you'll see there are no 'greatest' anythings. Every thing is subjective. Share your views with the whole world definately, but don't be so ignorant as to disregard different styles of music and their crafts, because they're all as good as each other to the people who it really matters to: the bleedin' listeners!
Quote by Tim the Rocker
Funny enough I did not name Kirk Hammet in any moment... Marty is better than Hammet IMO. And Dave is better guitar player than James, again IMO. And yes, Randy was better than any other Ozzy guitarrist (IMO).

BUT

Buckethead > all.

... guess what? IMO!.

(Chose Pokemon as it will be a character you are still very familiar with as a 13-14 years old)

Buckethead? Are you kidding me?

That idiot is lost with his effects. Hammett is lost without his wah. Zakk Wylde is lost without his pinch harmonics. Cobain is lost without his power chords. I could go on...

Buckethead is just like Satriani, he can do 1 thing: solo. Solo solo solo, boring variations, add stupid effects, excuse me while I fall asleep. All his songs sound the same.

I'd rather listen to Clapton... actually, let me think about that one
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
He doesn't need cold hard fact to think a song sucks, its not a murder.
So don't get so worked up, when his musical taste doesn't even affect you.

EDIT: ^i have no idea what pokemon that is. I just remember that Mew 2 was bad ass.

Nonetheless, "And Tornado of Souls solo suck ass" comment was uncalled for. How can I not insult him back when he just said a solo by Kirk Hammet (lost without wah) and by Buckethead (lost without effects) be better than the genius that is Marty Friedman?
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx

That idiot is lost with his effects. Hammett is lost without his wah. Zakk Wylde is lost without his pinch harmonics. Cobain is lost without his power chords. I could go on...

Buckethead is just like Satriani, he can do 1 thing: solo. Solo solo solo, boring variations, add stupid effects, excuse me while I fall asleep. All his songs sound the same.

I highly doubt that you'll have half the influence or skill as any of those guys.
And just because something is part of they're tone doesn't mean they would be lost without it.

EDIT: ^that is the most immature thing I've heard in along time
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by xChRoMaTiCx

And so, I must believe you have listened to all of his 650+ songs to reach that point of view. Gooooooooood for you. Gooooooooooooooood. I am glad you are growing up and I am impressed that going from asking tuning problems three months ago you are now evaluating guitar virtuoso´s playing who have been playing for 20+ years. Man, you must be a genious.
I am not gonna try do that you´ve done to us (and probably all your later friends, supposing you also tell them their music is shit) and explain why Buckethead is so much better...

OMGwtfbbq llolollo11 bukthed kicks sooo mch asss bcuse he can ply so fast and use ll knd of efekts omgg its over 9000 thausand notes per second jizzzzzzzzz.

And no, you´ve heard one or two songs with his effects, because those are the popular ones. I recommend you listen the Albino Slug album through, no effects en demasiá. By why do I bother telling you this? You are never gonna do it, because you are still early in your musicians evolution and would not understand it...

And Cobain is dead. Maybe you didn´t hear.

And IMO Clapton is boring as hell. Only good with Cream. Like coffee.

EDIT: Where the HELL did I name Kirk Hammet in my first comment?... Oh right, you thought Kirk played Eruption, ah, now it all makes sence... But it was Eddie VH.

And my "suck ass" comment was just a response to your first insult, saying both those solos were either boring or easy, non-influent. Is my opinion more insulting than yours, when it comes to personal opinion? I think not.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
Last edited by Tim the Rocker at May 20, 2011,
Tornado of souls solo sucks ass. Friedman is a useless weaboo.

EDIT: I think almost and Gilmour solo could qualify as my "favourite".
Last edited by Namaste196 at May 20, 2011,
Oh-poopoo TS left the thread.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
I noticed that, and I was kinda having fun in this thread
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by Tim the Rocker

He would have been breast feeding when pokemon came out. Is it still big?
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I highly doubt that you'll have half the influence or skill as any of those guys.
And just because something is part of they're tone doesn't mean they would be lost without it.

EDIT: ^that is the most immature thing I've heard in along time

What do my guitar skills have to do with ANYTHING? We're comparing guitarists here babe.
Quote by Tim the Rocker
And so, I must believe you have listened to all of his 650+ songs to reach that point of view. Gooooooooood for you. Gooooooooooooooood. I am glad you are growing up and I am impressed that going from asking tuning problems three months ago you are now evaluating guitar virtuoso´s playing who have been playing for 20+ years. Man, you must be a genious.
I am not gonna try do that you´ve done to us (and probably all your later friends, supposing you also tell them their music is shit) and explain why Buckethead is so much better...

OMGwtfbbq llolollo11 bukthed kicks sooo mch asss bcuse he can ply so fast and use ll knd of efekts omgg its over 9000 thausand notes per second jizzzzzzzzz.

And no, you´ve heard one or two songs with his effects, because those are the popular ones. I recommend you listen the Albino Slug album through, no effects en demasiá. By why do I bother telling you this? You are never gonna do it, because you are still early in your musicians evolution and would not understand it...

And Cobain is dead. Maybe you didn´t hear.

And IMO Clapton is boring as hell. Only good with Cream. Like coffee.

EDIT: Where the HELL did I name Kirk Hammet in my first comment?... Oh right, you thought Kirk played Eruption, ah, now it all makes sence... But it was Eddie VH.

And my "suck ass" comment was just a response to your first insult, saying both those solos were either boring or easy, non-influent. Is my opinion more insulting than yours, when it comes to personal opinion? I think not.

(sorry Im not on this site 24/7, let me continue the argument now that I have returned)

Enjoyed stalking my guitar skills have you? In 4 months I can already tell who sucks and who doesnt. Buckethead uses effects, that is all, and hence it sounds so impressive. I've listened to one of his albums, cant remember the name (most noteable on it is soothsayer) and all he does is use effects. My skills have NOTHNIG to do with anything! ... also I'll listen to that album you recommended. Meanwhile you go listen to Marty's solos and come back to me.

Kurt Cobain is dead. Oh wow. I cant critisize guitarists which are dead now?

Clapton sucks, I was using him as a laughing example as to "i would rather listen to him then 100% effect driven solos"

And my mistake, I misread your comment: "I recommend one solo". I thought you were referring to the solo in "One" and LOL'd. You're opinion is just as important as mine, and you pretty much proved my opinion. Those solos were influential AT THE TIME, but not the best solos of all time. Can you not see this?
Quote by Shreddinkevin
Really Clapton sucks.... you sir must not have any taste

Not so much sucks as overrated. He's a slow blues guitarist. Did you hear that. A SLOW BLUES GUITARIST. Go listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan, everything he does is like Clapton except 1000 times better.
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
Not so much sucks as overrated. He's a slow blues guitarist. Did you hear that. A SLOW BLUES GUITARIST. Go listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan, everything he does is like Clapton except 1000 times better.

I already do buddy, and Albert King...
Quote by Myshadow46_2
TS, how would you quantify the best solo of all time?

A solo which not only sounds absolutely amazing, but is extremely difficult to play. A solo that you can listen to on a daily basis for over a month.
i dont get what difficulty has to do with anything? are we talking about which solo is the best musically or is the most technical? im not saying 'best' isnt subjective btw
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx

Shut up. This is a ridiculous topic, and your standard of a great solo is yours. Frankly I think you're trying to gain some sort of ego because you have an overinflated sense of self, which tells me you probably have a ways to go before you grow up. Speed and difficulty mean nothing. That's a crutch to validate a lot of players, who have been led to believe that stunt guitar playing is the be all and all and if it doesn't have the requisite NPS, it sucks. Speed is just one tool. What matters is the whole composition, not an overemphasis on technical ability.

In terms of solo's I'll put Don Felder's solo out there for Hotel California as a great solo. The greatest of all time, no. I'm old enough to have worked out that there is no such thing, as long as people have different opinions, and there is no objective standard for measuring, that will always be open to opinion.

This makes your comments and general presence in this thread extremely infantile. Grow up, turn off your ego, and learn to present yourself with some decorum. You just look pathetic.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at May 20, 2011,
Difficulty should have nothing to do with how good the solo is. A great sound is the only thing of importance
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
A solo which not only sounds absolutely amazing, but is extremely difficult to play. A solo that you can listen to on a daily basis for over a month.

So advanced technique and your opinion. That's hardly a strong way of measuring this. I mean I can play the Stairway to Heaven solo, but somebody who had only just started playing may have difficulty. Then there are people who don't play guitar...does that mean they don't get a say?

And how does something sound absolutely amazing? How would you quantify that? I presume it comes down to opinion.

So basically it all comes down to opinion, so labelling anything as the best guitar solo of all time is going to be impossible. Labelling any guitar solo as better than another is also impossible. It's all subjective, it's all opinon based and therefore hard to quantify.
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at May 20, 2011,
Quote by knutjob
i dont get what difficulty has to do with anything? are we talking about which solo is the best musically or is the most technical? im not saying 'best' isnt subjective btw

Combination of both. Stairway fails at technicality, and Eruption fails at musicality. Tornado is amazing in both.
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
Combination of both. Stairway fails at technicality, and Eruption fails at musicality. Tornado is amazing in both.

Thats all up to opinion
dammit im going to go listen to Tornado of Souls just so i know what were talking about. I like Megadeth but im terrible with song names so i can think which solo it is
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx

Again you use your opinion as the reason your right, but say that everybody else's opinion is invalid, because your jizzing your pants about the solo from tornado of souls.
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by Myshadow46_2
So advanced technique and your opinion. That's hardly a strong way of measuring this. I mean I can play the Stairway to Heaven solo, but somebody who had only just started playing may have difficulty. Then there are people who don't play guitar...does that mean they don't get a say?

And how does something sound absolutely amazing? How would you quantify that? I presume it comes down to opinion.

So basically it all comes down to opinion, so labelling anything as the best guitar solo of all time is going to be impossible. Labelling any guitar solo as better than another is also impossible. It's all subjective, it's all opinon based and therefore hard to quantify.

I think someone who has never heard a rock/metal songs before can say that tornado solo is probably 100x harder to play on a stringed instrument than stairway (guitar in this case).

Hmm.. yes and no. I see you're reasoning here.

What labels stairway and eruption the best solos then? According to that 100 greatuest solos list.
Page 1 of 3