Hey guys,

http://soundcloud.com/duncan-stagg/please-be-quiet

Just spent the past weekend recording this song. Would love some critique!

I guess I could describe it as country/post rock? Not really sure, influences from bands like Wye Oak, Iron & Wine, The Antlers. But managed to sneak in some guitar spanking at the end for good measure!

Recorded using a Rode NT1-A with a Line 6 Toneport into Logic Express 8.

Look forward to hearing what you think!

Thanks

Duncan
this is so choice man! The cleans are excellent no everythings excellent man. I like the vocals ALOT. i really like the twangy sound u are getting with that lead guitar man. I really am digging the quality of this man everything sounds really proffessional and clean. I cant compliment you enough I wish I had your production skills . I have something on original recordings I made up but honestly it doesnt compare to yours
Knockoff Fender
83' Peavey Milestone << Favorite
Line 6 Spider IV
awesome man so lush, love that banjo sounding instrument!! lovely guitar chords and you got a great voice too!
production is well good too, sounds so crisp

good work mate!

i have something a tiny bit similar (ish) if you fancy a listen (: http://soundcloud.com/matthew-gilchrist/unit-4-with-joe-jermy-on-the
Hey thanks for the feedback guys! Really appreciate it.
The mixing and everything took a fair old while but I think it sounds okay now.

Matt I listened to your track and really love it! The intro really grabbed me with just the acoustic guitar. Sounds really nice, how did you record it?
Awesome, think I might have to pick up a pair of those rodes! Been toying with buying a couple of condensers but you've persuaded me haha
great voice. great riffs. sounded like a twelve string to me but then i saw a comment saying it was a mandolin but i was close enough lol. the only thomg i didnt like was the part where you stopped playing at about 3:15 should have lasted a few seconds less
Absolutely stunning in my opinion!!! Lots of new ideas here, reminds me of Akron Family and other bands from Young God records quite a bit. Love the little banjo riffs injected everywhere. Love the break into the next section. Vocals sound exceptionally good, not a single note missed and very clean. Overally very pleasant, I'd definitely listen to this.

Would you check out mine? I know it might not be you're style but you might like it if you dig stuff that's different.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443717
Hey mate,
I really loved it. The use of mandolin (?) was awesome, acoustic guitar was lovely. Recording quality was excellent, whats your process for recording acoustic instruments? Awesome use of dynamics in the chorus section, huge reverby drums were equally epic sounding. Very well done.

I thought maybe the distortion guitar in the verses was a little loud in the mix. Also I think your voice felt a little weak in sections. I understand they are meant to be a bit fragile, but I listened to your other songs - particular covers - and your voice is great! Lyrics were excellent, as was phrasing etc.

c4c https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1438766
Sorry I should probably clarify that the instrument was a banjo!

With regards to recording the acoustic instruments, just used my Rode NT1-A, for the acoustic guitar it was about 6-7 inches away from 12th fret, pointing slightly up towards the neck to keep it nice and bright. The banjo I used to a plectrum to make sure it poked through, again using the Rode aiming at the join between the neck and the body.

The drums was fun, the kettle/floor tom thing was a sample I got from freesounds and the snarey bit was me dropping my tamborine onto a table, then running that through an amp simulator and various reverbs.

Appreciating the feedback! Specially the criticism, I think you are right about the electric guitar in the verses. Good spot, I guess I was too lazy to automate haha.
Quote by staggaxe
Sorry I should probably clarify that the instrument was a banjo!

With regards to recording the acoustic instruments, just used my Rode NT1-A, for the acoustic guitar it was about 6-7 inches away from 12th fret, pointing slightly up towards the neck to keep it nice and bright. The banjo I used to a plectrum to make sure it poked through, again using the Rode aiming at the join between the neck and the body.

The drums was fun, the kettle/floor tom thing was a sample I got from freesounds and the snarey bit was me dropping my tamborine onto a table, then running that through an amp simulator and various reverbs.

Appreciating the feedback! Specially the criticism, I think you are right about the electric guitar in the verses. Good spot, I guess I was too lazy to automate haha.

That is an awesome story about the drums!