Ok. I made and play lead guitar a metal band called Smokescreen Abyss. Me and my drummer have been talking about kicking out our vocalist out because he simply, can't sing. We've asked him to sing on numerous occasions and he refused every time. The thing is that we've never heard him sing except for one time and that time he was shit and really shy about it.

We are having extreme difficulty with this because he is a very close friend to both of us.

Also, he wants to do emo-core shit and we want to meld Groove metal (Lamb Of God) with Melodic death metal (Opeth) to make a genre called "Melo-groove" (As made up by me). We both have long, death metalish hair and he has a multi-coloured short anime emo hair.

How do I get him out without offending him or make him go cut his wrists or something?

Thanks in advance for the replies

---------3RD SEPTEMBER 2011 UPDATE!!!----------

Ok, so me and my drummer friend have quit the band and left it to our bassist and our singer who can't sing to make some songs. Nothing at all has happened with them and me and my drummer friend have gotten a much better bassist and another guitarist while I also play guitar and do vocals. We have made an entire EP worth of songs that are more technical groove than melodic, it was the bassist and myself who wanted a more technical, Necrophagist-style sound.

My old bandmates said that "They only pretend to be in a cool band for the pussy". This is why me and my drummer left, they didn't care about the music, they cared more about the chicks. We are still friends but they are acting like they are all awesome for being in a band. Thank you for reading!!!
Last edited by Naruto00121 at Sep 3, 2011,
if his unclean vocals are good why not try singing the clean bits yourself ?
or get someone else to sing the clean bits

or just go totally varg on him
Quote by Myshadow46_2

BTW, WTF has your hair style got to do with any of this?

Well, just trying to create a feel for our image. I don't want to be emo shit.
Quote by funeralllllllll
if his unclean vocals are good why not try singing the clean bits yourself ?
or get someone else to sing the clean bits

or just go totally varg on him

He can't scream or sing. He basically has a sissy little emo voice.
Quote by Sherlock_Bones
*looks at username*

Good luck with that (Y)

You do not know how much you made me laugh just then. Almost collapsed, your funny
so he won't sing... and he's the singer... makes sense.

on topic though, first things first are to find another singer before you release him, you don't wanna be singer-less. then when you do, (obviously behind his back) you explain to him that he can't sing... and because of this, he should play bass... keeps him happy being in the band and keeps you happy because 1. you never said you had a bassist and 2. you don't permanently exclude him and lose a friend.

just a suggestion...

if you do have a bassist however, then good luck xD
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by JackOSF
Music > Image. ALWAYS.

I understand where your coming from but I don't want a frontman who worships escape the fate. I don't think anyone does...
Quote by Dempsey68
so he won't sing... and he's the singer... makes sense.

on topic though, first things first are to find another singer before you release him, you don't wanna be singer-less. then when you do, (obviously behind his back) you explain to him that he can't sing... and because of this, he should play bass... keeps him happy being in the band and keeps you happy because 1. you never said you had a bassist and 2. you don't permanently exclude him and lose a friend.

just a suggestion...

if you do have a bassist however, then good luck xD

I guess i'm gonna need all the luck in the world...
Quote by Naruto00121
Ok. I made and play lead guitar a metal band called Smokescreen Abyss. Me and my drummer have been talking about kicking out our vocalist out because he simply, can't sing. We've asked him to sing on numerous occasions and he refused every time. The thing is that we've never heard him sing except for one time and that time he was shit and really shy about it.

We are having extreme difficulty with this because he is a very close friend to both of us.

Also, he wants to do emo-core shit and we want to meld Groove metal (Lamb Of God) with Melodic death metal (Opeth) to make a genre called "Melo-groove" (As made up by me). We both have long, death metalish hair and he has a multi-coloured short anime emo hair.

How do I get him out without offending him or make him go cut his wrists or something?

Thanks in advance for the replies

Too...many...things wrong...with post.

Why on Earth would you start a band with one of your best friends without even knowing whether he can sing or not and knowing that there will be massive differences in your image and musical tastes? You're just asking for trouble there, do you just not like having friends?

You can either have a friendly, civilised chat with him, stay in the band and deal with it or kick him out and all fall out over it, depending on how mature and sensible you want to be
Quote by SilentHeaven109
Too...many...things wrong...with post.

Why on Earth would you start a band with one of your best friends without even knowing whether he can sing or not and knowing that there will be massive differences in your image and musical tastes? You're just asking for trouble there, do you just not like having friends?

You can either have a friendly, civilised chat with him, stay in the band and deal with it or kick him out and all fall out over it, depending on how mature and sensible you want to be

I could kick out our bassist and make him do it? No-one likes our bassist anyways and he isn't interested in the band.
Wait, so kick the bassist out and then replace the bassist with the singer, thus having a (presumably) worse bassist and no singer? I was in a similar scenario when starting out, I made a band with some close friends, didn't get further than a couple of practises and some terrible songs + covers. It is likely to work, but I find getting together with like minded musicians (not necessarily friends) seems to work for making music you all agree on...
Quote by JackOSF
Wait, so kick the bassist out and then replace the bassist with the singer, thus having a (presumably) worse bassist and no singer? I was in a similar scenario when starting out, I made a band with some close friends, didn't get further than a couple of practises and some terrible songs + covers. It is likely to work, but I find getting together with like minded musicians (not necessarily friends) seems to work for making music you all agree on...

Ok, another good argument. I think at this stage, we should record him singing and ask him if he's a good singer or not. Maybe that will make him understand...
A lot of people can't really judge themselves singing due to modesty or insecurity. Recording him, or getting him to record in his own time is a good choice. Give him a listen and some constructive criticisms if he's alright, or send him on his way
Quote by JackOSF
A lot of people can't really judge themselves singing due to modesty or insecurity. Recording him, or getting him to record in his own time is a good choice. Give him a listen and some constructive criticisms if he's alright, or send him on his way

THANK YOU!!! That is a great idea. I'll try it out when I see him next. Anyone else have any sckemingly brilliant strategies?
Quote by Naruto00121
Ok, another good argument. I think at this stage, we should record him singing and ask him if he's a good singer or not. Maybe that will make him understand...

So you're gonna start being petty? Most people in this situation would defend themselves and it will just break down into silly squabbling.

Sit him down and talk to him, tell him how you feel and that you hope you can still be mates, if he's your friend he'll understand, if he does get offended and start throwing a hissy fit then at least you did the right thing and he's the one being petty.

Kicking out your bassist will solve nothing, if he hasn't shown an interest in singing up until now he's not gonna do it if you try and force him. This doesn't exactly sound like the friendliest environment, "no-one likes him anyway." My advice would be to just forget about the band, start a new one with the other long haired death-metalish guy and find people who are strangers and actually share your musical interests. I feel like I'm patronising you by even giving that as advice because it should be so obvious!

Quote by Naruto00121
sckemingly brilliant strategies?

...I give up...
melo-groove? seriously?

just tell him that you are done professionally. if you want to be successful in music, you have to keep the needs of the band over the needs of a friendship. simple as that. if he's really your friend, he should understand that things aren't going to work out.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by SilentHeaven109
So you're gonna start being petty? Most people in this situation would defend themselves and it will just break down into silly squabbling.

Sit him down and talk to him, tell him how you feel and that you hope you can still be mates, if he's your friend he'll understand, if he does get offended and start throwing a hissy fit then at least you did the right thing and he's the one being petty.

Kicking out your bassist will solve nothing, if he hasn't shown an interest in singing up until now he's not gonna do it if you try and force him. This doesn't exactly sound like the friendliest environment, "no-one likes him anyway." My advice would be to just forget about the band, start a new one with the other long haired death-metalish guy and find people who are strangers and actually share your musical interests. I feel like I'm patronising you by even giving that as advice because it should be so obvious!

...I give up...

Yes. I agree with you. I'll start a new band and stop with this one. I'm sorry, but I can't. I have a Rhythm player and a bassist that did nothing wrong and now they have to deal with our singers problem? **** it, he's out. I'll try to let him down softly though and try and stay friends.

Also, thank you seriously, you have been a big help to me
This guy has a terrible attitude to a band, hung up on image, slating emo genre of music. Ill be blunt, your close minded and have no respect for anything outside your interest areas. Id be interested to here you play to see if your any good.
A band is a group, not you dictating the style, the sound and the genre, either make a good go of it and hire musicians, or piss about with your friends.
Metal players who hate emo and pop, are just as bad as rap or pop fans hating metal.
Gear
-Shecter Omen 6 Extreme
-Yamaha JX20SC Acoustic
-Roland : Cube 80x
Wishlist
-Mbox recording hardware
-Fender Stratocaster (American Standard)
-Boss Overdrive pedal
Quote by Naruto00121
Yes. I agree with you. I'll start a new band and stop with this one. I'm sorry, but I can't. I have a Rhythm player and a bassist that did nothing wrong and now they have to deal with our singers problem? **** it, he's out. I'll try to let him down softly though and try and stay friends.

Also, thank you seriously, you have been a big help to me

Good stuff, as long as you're civilised about it, you don't insult each other and make it clear that it's for musical reasons not personal ones then you should be able to stay friends

Good luck man
Quote by moose1512
This guy has a terrible attitude to a band, hung up on image, slating emo genre of music. Ill be blunt, your close minded and have no respect for anything outside your interest areas. Id be interested to here you play to see if your any good.
A band is a group, not you dictating the style, the sound and the genre, either make a good go of it and hire musicians, or piss about with your friends.
Metal players who hate emo and pop, are just as bad as rap or pop fans hating metal.

I'm sorry if I offended you in any way during the course of my ranting. Well, he's out. Full stop.

And also, keep smiling
Put some balls between your legs, and kick him out. If hes making you question it, kick him out. Tell him he cant sing. Be flat out honest with him. Music isnt nice. Jesus, quit being a baby about it.
Quote by DJEDrock
Put some balls between your legs, and kick him out. If hes making you question it, kick him out. Tell him he cant sing. Be flat out honest with him. Music isnt nice. Jesus, quit being a baby about it.

Alrighty
If you really don't wanna hurt him, you could offer him being part of the crew, doing album artwork, promote the band or what ever...
Quote by maoam93
If you really don't wanna hurt him, you could offer him being part of the crew, doing album artwork, promote the band or what ever...

Yes!!! He's really good at doing album covers for the band so he can do that. My friend is the gear set-er-upper-er so he can do that also if he wants to. Thanks for the advice
Last edited by Naruto00121 at May 20, 2011,
Quote by maoam93

Probably not best to bring this up straight away/as part of the firing conversation. If someone said to me, "You're not quite good enough to sing for us, but if you could draw pictures, hand out flyers and carry our amps for us that'd be swell!" I'd probably take it as a massive insult and force their balls into their stomach. Maybe sometime afterwards this could happen, but not right now.
Quote by SilentHeaven109
Probably not best to bring this up straight away/as part of the firing conversation. If someone said to me, "You're not quite good enough to sing for us, but if you could draw pictures, hand out flyers and carry our amps for us that'd be swell!" I'd probably take it as a massive insult and force their balls into their stomach. Maybe sometime afterwards this could happen, but not right now.

Okely dokely doo
Quote by JackOSF
Music > Image. ALWAYS.

This
the **** is this, lady gaga? It's passion not fashion.

Just tell him to take his Fall Out Boy antics somewhere else.