Hello all,

After having tried about 15 different amps in the last few days, I gave ENGL a shot and I was blown away. It has the exact sound I was looking for. I had tried many Mesas and Marshalls but was never really completely satisfied.

I tried the Ritchie Blackmore and the Powerball II and prefered the Powerball. So I have finally made my decision, my next amp is going to be a ENGL Powerball II.

Today I was browsing the net and I found a used (but flawless) Powerball I for sale at a steal and in my town.

Now... I would like to know, if I like the Powerball II very much, will I notice many differences with the Powerball I ? What are they ? Why they release a second edition. What did they change?

I Just want to make sure I don't realize after the fact that they discontinued the Powerball I for a reason I am not aware now.

By the way, I play mostly tech (modern) punk, rock & prog metal.

Thanks!
Last edited by thrice23 at May 20, 2011,
Ive never played a single ENGL in my life, however Ive heard tons of clipz and comments.

Ive heard that the ENGL I had serious troubles cutting through in a band situation, and that it isnt as bad in II.
there are actually 3 versions, PB, PB v2 and PB II

IIRC the pb and pb v2 have too less mids for gigs ( correct me if im wrong )

the pb II is a complete different amp IIRC

the difference between the PB and PB v2 is that the v2 has a better noice gate ( IIRC )

but im a complete amp noob here, so please correct me if im wrong

i have looked at those amps too, that's why i know a very little bit about them
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
i haven't tried the II, but i think they changed the treble control a bit on the II and fixed the noise gate a bit? Maybe made it cut through better too, as ^ said.

Not sure. If I were you if you liked the II I wouldn't assume you'd like the I just in case you don't. Unless you can get to try a I first.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
IIRC i made a thread about the same... xD
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
i have also never played an engl, but as the owner of a dual rec, i would be very surprised if you had trouble cutting through in a band with one of those babies. if my Mesa can do it, your future engl should be able to, or its not worth the hype, and i will not eventually buy one like i plan to.
Quote by mr.cheese..
Now I've got it! Masturbate in the mud while smoking weed!

Quote by darkstar2466
Meaning is not absolute.
Quote by metalhead_99801
i have also never played an engl, but as the owner of a dual rec, i would be very surprised if you had trouble cutting through in a band with one of those babies. if my Mesa can do it, your future engl should be able to, or its not worth the hype, and i will not eventually buy one like i plan to.

wot
Everyone I have talked to says the powerball I has serious issues cutting through the mix. I can't comment on the II though. I would do some heavy research prior to spending any money.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
i own an engl powerball and i play in a thrash metal band and i have absolutely no problems cutting through in the mix. might be the cab, i dont know.

there's not too many differences between the pb1 and 2. they added another treble knob and the cleans are a little cleaner, i think. overall, some improvements here and there, you cant go wrong with that.
If you've never played an amp,, why would you give advice on something you have no first hand knowledge of?

TS: The powerball I can cut fine depeding on what else is going on in the live mix. Is it a nice amp: yeah. Is it as nice as the pb II? Not in my experience, though if it's close enough to what you're looking for I see no reason to not get it.
I am going to try it before assuming it is as good as the PB II. I will also try to find out if it is a PB v1 or v2. Would it be written somewhere on the head?

I am doing my research before putting my money on that amp. Most complaints about the PB 1 are about the fact that it "doesn't cut through the mix" and it is true that ENGL revisited the Mid controls on the PB II. They also added separate Gain controls for each of the 4 modes (PB original only had 2 gain knobs for the 4 modes).

It will be hard to tell if the mids will cut through the mix, as I won't be trying it in a live situation. I won't really be able to tell, will I ?

It's definitely been discontinued for a reason. Otherwise they would have just made some minor improvements and released v3.

But I'd be getting a practically new PB 1 + ENGL 4x12'' for less than a PB II head. Difficult decision....
Quote by thrice23
I am going to try it before assuming it is as good as the PB II. I will also try to find out if it is a PB v1 or v2. Would it be written somewhere on the head?

I am doing my research before putting my money on that amp. Most complaints about the PB 1 are about the fact that it "doesn't cut through the mix" and it is true that ENGL revisited the Mid controls on the PB II. They also added separate Gain controls for each of the 4 modes (PB original only had 2 gain knobs for the 4 modes).

It will be hard to tell if the mids will cut through the mix, as I won't be trying it in a live situation. I won't really be able to tell, will I ?

It's definitely been discontinued for a reason. Otherwise they would have just made some minor improvements and released v3.

But I'd be getting a practically new PB 1 + ENGL 4x12'' for less than a PB II head. Difficult decision....

You COULD just buy a ten band EQ pedal and give the mids a biggish boost......
GS LEAD 5, that's an idea to consider, although I do want to keep my pedals to a minimum...

The more I read about Powerball (be it I or II), it seems to be a death metal amp. Honestly I couldn't even name you a death metal band, I don't listen nor do I play that kind of music.

My first impression of that amp is mainly that the sound is somewhat compressed and the distortion grain is finer than the Mesa Dual Recto. I actually like that. So does that mean I enjoy a death metal type of sound? :O I play tech punk and some prog metal...

I am also reading a lot of mixed ratings for that head. Lot of people say "go for the Savage" but it's also a tad more expansive.

I also wonder if a Recto can be set to sound as tight and fine as the Powerball? (I heard and can tell from experience it is difficult to find a sweet spot but once you do it's simply amazing)

Thanks
Last edited by thrice23 at May 20, 2011,
Quote by thrice23
GS LEAD 5, that's an idea to consider, although I do want to keep my pedals to a minimum...

The more I read about Powerball (be it I or II), it seems to be a death metal amp. Honestly I couldn't even name you a death metal band, I don't listen nor do I play that kind of music.

My first impression of that amp is mainly that the sound is somewhat compressed and the distortion grain is finer than the Mesa Dual Recto. I actually like that. So does that mean I enjoy a death metal type of sound? :O I play tech punk and some prog metal...

I am also reading a lot of mixed ratings for that head. Lot of people say "go for the Savage" but it's also a tad more expansive.

I also wonder if a Recto can be set to sound as tight and fine as the Powerball? (I heard and can tell from experience it is difficult to find a sweet spot but once you do it's simply amazing)

Thanks

You read right- Recto's are major tweaking amps.
No, a Recto will NOT be as tight as a PB. A Roadster/Road King, perhaps. Not a run of the mill dual/triple/single.
EDIT: Get an MXR 10 band. give it a mid boost, leave it permanently on. Just compensate with the PB's EQ for cleans.
Much as I dislike scooped distortion sounds, i LOVE scooped cleans
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at May 21, 2011,
Scale the summit used engl powerballs when i saw them live. Definitely not death metal. BUT definitely prog haha.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
Scale the summit used engl powerballs when i saw them live. Definitely not death metal. BUT definitely prog haha.

And how was the sound projection?
they sounded great! BUT both guitarists were using the amp, so it's not like they had to compete with a more "cutting" amp, so I can't really tell you how well they cut haha
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
the cutting through issue was only with the v1 models. the v2 fixed this issue (added more mids i pressume) plus the dodgy noise gate was replaced.
the way to tell them apart is to simply play a palm mute and see if theres a delay between the note and when the gate kicks in. if its negligible youve got a v2, a fine amp that i adore. if there is a delay you'll need a seperate noise gate and EQ pedal to boost mids to make it a fine amp.
the powerball II has separate gain per channel which is usefull but not as desireable as separate EQ would of been so i gave it a miss so cant comment on that.
Ibanez Prestige RG3270
Axe FX II
Quote by GS LEAD 5

EDIT: Get an MXR 10 band. give it a mid boost, leave it permanently on. Just compensate with the PB's EQ for cleans.

With that you think it would pretty much solve the problem of cutting trough at rehearsals and gigs??
Quote by ibanez_keag
the cutting through issue was only with the v1 models. the v2 fixed this issue (added more mids i pressume) plus the dodgy noise gate was replaced.
the way to tell them apart is to simply play a palm mute and see if theres a delay between the note and when the gate kicks in. if its negligible youve got a v2, a fine amp that i adore. if there is a delay you'll need a seperate noise gate and EQ pedal to boost mids to make it a fine amp.
the powerball II has separate gain per channel which is usefull but not as desireable as separate EQ would of been so i gave it a miss so cant comment on that.

Interesting and useful info!

According to that guy (see blog) :

"The differences between "Old Ball", Powerball version V1 and V2 -
a) The treble control of lead channel on V2 was altered from linear to logarithmic curve.
b) Improve noise gate on V2.
c) The LEDs inside the head are more red on V2."

No mention of mids in there. So the mid problem would have been solved between v2 and PB II I guess. Not sure though!?

Other than that, to test the noise gate as you explained, at what position should I set its knob?

Thanks a lot
There Are 3 Verions Of The Powerball!!!!!
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
There Are 3 Verions Of The Powerball!!!!!

Don't know if it's a statement or question, but yes, we know

Powerball I
-v1
-v2

Powerball II
just making sure!

you only pointed the differences between the PB v1 and v2, not PB II

the differences between the old and the new is the mid frequences and more possibilities ( the old was kinda a 2channel amp with a switch for more gain ( clean to crunch and high gain metal to highest gain metal ) )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Like others have said, slightly different amps. If you love the V1 go for it...but how will you feel in 5 months from know you have an old (slightly inferior) version?
WTLTL 2011
I can't remember the differences because it was a very long time ago that I tried the original and I only played the PBII for a short period of time (still didn't impress me that much but was better than I remember) as I couldn't play it loud enough to warrant choosing it over others in the shop.

If this helps at all, good: if ENGL are still selling the original then the difference might be dramatic enough to warrant making both the new and the old. If the original version is not for sale any more and is not being made then the difference, logically, will not be very big.
Quote by Mark G
Like others have said, slightly different amps. If you love the V1 go for it...but how will you feel in 5 months from know you have an old (slightly inferior) version?

Well it's just a matter that the new is 2300 CA$ for the head and I would be getting the old with a 4x12'' ENGL Cab for 2000CA$ (the guy only used it in his basement) We are speaking of at least 1k$ of difference and I ain't a professionnal musician.

But yeah, I would feel safer if I had the new. They did discontinue the old for a reason....

If this helps at all, good: if ENGL are still selling the original then the difference might be dramatic enough to warrant making both the new and the old. If the original version is not for sale any more and is not being made then the difference, logically, will not be very big.

Well my idea is more like they figured there was a lack of mid for live performance, after the first was out for a few months. And so they improved it, and there wasn't any point in selling the first anymore. Newer is better?
Last edited by thrice23 at May 21, 2011,
well powerballs have been out for years. the II only came out last year.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by thrice23
Well it's just a matter that the new is 2300 CA$ for the head and I would be getting the old with a 4x12'' ENGL Cab for 2000CA$ (the guy only used it in his basement) We are speaking of at least 1k$ of difference and I ain't a professionnal musician.

But yeah, I would feel safer if I had the new. They did discontinue the old for a reason....

Well my idea is more like they figured there was a lack of mid for live performance, after the first was out for a few months. And so they improved it, and there wasn't any point in selling the first anymore. Newer is better?

PBI + EQ PEDAL.
DO IT.
PRICE IS EPIC.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
PBI + EQ PEDAL.
DO IT.
PRICE IS EPIC.

Found out a forum and a posted dated from 2005 where an ENGL distributor says "the new version is out, with enhanced mids for better cutting through".

Interesting. I think my guy has the PBI v2... which should do, even w/o EQ