Hey guys,

I hope I put it rite in the title but just in case, lets take Marty friedman as an example, he is a god at improvising (you play a chord and he can just start making a marvellous solo out of it) and he does know what he is doing so that must mean he remembers nearly what all fret and string sounds like.

I am pretty sure that if anyone can remember every sound of every note on the guitar than you could just make up a solo in seconds, so how can you remember?
I really don't care if I need to know some routine that could take 2 years as long as I will be able to reach my goal and that it will help others in times of need, so can anybody please help me?

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it
tbh i can almost do that, ie i know what sound goes with what from where on the fretboard (if that makes sense)
and it just takes practise... years of practise... mostly trial and error to understand it all.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Just learn the minor scale.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by GV8
Hey guys,

I hope I put it rite in the title but just in case, lets take Marty friedman as an example, he is a god at improvising (you play a chord and he can just start making a marvellous solo out of it) and he does know what he is doing so that must mean he remembers nearly what all fret and string sounds like.

I am pretty sure that if anyone can remember every sound of every note on the guitar than you could just make up a solo in seconds, so how can you remember?

Play guitar alot, and listen. + time.
shred is gaudy music
It think a lot of it's about knowing how a note sounds in relation to the root of the scale. A major 3rd will always sound like a major 3rd regardless of the key you're in.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I'd say that if for the most part you know most of the notes on the fretboard, and you know the notes that are in the particular key your playing it, then you won't really need to know exactly how each note should sound. An easier way would be to learn all forms of the minor pentatonic scale (maybe major although it's not used quite as much for rock) and learn notes as you go. Almost every guitarist out there has uses some form of the pentatonic scale.
My gear:

Fender Highway one Telecaster
Squier Strat (highly upgraded)
Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Fender Fontman 65r guitar amp
Alvarez rd4102c acoustic-electric guitar