Hey all,

I have been transcribing for a while and I can say that I can find the chords of simple songs quite easily. My question is more "transcribing technique" related, so here we go. I find that when I transcribe, I dont listen to the root note of a given chord and THEN try to find it immediately on the guitar for the first try. I rather run through all of the basic chords, and when I find which is fitting I use that. However, I dont see how this helps me in any way, or especially to get my ear to be better and hear everything for the first time. Am I doing it okay? Or should I do it otherwise? Thanks for the comments in advance
Yeah, that's how I do it too and as time goes by and you do this a lot, eventually you'll be able to recognize more and more chords like "Oh, that sounds like an open D chord right there" and such.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
You are doing well.

As you move forward you may want to add some ear training to your practice so that you recognize chord types -- minor, major, 7th, major 7, minor 7, suspended and so forth -- this might seem easier than it is -- look at : http://www.teoria.com/exercises/c34e.htm to see what I mean.

But pecking away at that kind of ear training is REALLY helpful for transcribing!

Cheers!