So i'm planning on buying a power conditioner very soon. It's a Furman M-8x2.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FURM8X2

Just to be sure, I plug this into my wall, then plug anything else into the conditioner itself and it should get rid of those extra noises I get from my amp? Like all of the crackles and pops it does when I turn it on? Also, it should serve as a surge protector?

I asked a friend about it and he said it's a good idea to buy a power conditioner. I also heard it's not necessary unless you have a crapload of rackmount effects? I'm kind of new to rack-related equipment, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
pinga
Firstly, are you gigging? That's mostly the reason most people get a power conditioner. I bought one recently after my first gig because the power setup looked very dodgy. I also have a pre-amp as well as a tube head as well as my other guitarists head that I plug into it.

It's a common misconception that a power conditioner will get rid of noise. It doesn't really do much in the way of noise, possibly smooths it out a little bit if you have bad power. They aren't the same as a surge protector. A power conditioner protects your stuff from spikes/surges/abnormal power and makes sure it is all at a consistent voltage. Many people plug into a surge protector as well to be on the safe side.

It isn't necessary to have a crapload of rack gear before you buy one... but if you have any sort of expensive equipment then it is a good idea. But certainly don't buy one for noise because that's not what they're for.

Btw I have the same one as that except 240v and I have the one with the super cool lights built in
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Not gigging yet, but I will in the future. So, a power conditioner can't/won't substitute for a surge protector? Also, if I wanted to get rid of that annoying pop that happens when i turn on the amp, what would I have to get?

The way they describe it makes it sound like it'll get rid of the dirty signals and it'll protect against surges (that's what it says).
pinga
Yes, a power conditioner is a surge protector as well as all the other stuff I said.

Come on dude is it really that annoying? It's a tiny little pop... There's most likely no way to get rid of it. Some amps just do it.

It does get rid of the dirty signals and it'll protect against surges, but it doesn't reduce noise which is what you were saying
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
Yes, a power conditioner is a surge protector as well as all the other stuff I said.

Come on dude is it really that annoying? It's a tiny little pop... There's most likely no way to get rid of it. Some amps just do it.

It does get rid of the dirty signals and it'll protect against surges, but it doesn't reduce noise which is what you were saying

Alright. So it does protect against surges.

Yeah it's that annoying. It only lasts about 1 second, but i'd pay to get rid of that. I thought dirty signals WAS noise?

Quote by Wisthekiller
I have that exact power conditioner. Does not rid of buzzing or that pop at the startup.

Now im confused. If it doesn't get rid of noise (as advertised) what is it good for?
pinga
Quote by Wisthekiller
I was recommended an ISP Decimator, but have not been able to afford one (16 year old, got the Furman for free). That supposedly will do it but I have no firsthand account.

At $445 bucks, no way im getting that. I'm still getting the Furman it seems. $52, what's there to lose plus I need it for surge protection anyway.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
$52, what's there to lose plus I need it for surge protection anyway.

There's $52 to lose. If you want/need a surge protector, just buy a surge protector. You can get one for under $20 at Home Depot and it won't take up as much room.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
You could get one of these .
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Tostitos
There's $52 to lose. If you want/need a surge protector, just buy a surge protector. You can get one for under $20 at Home Depot and it won't take up as much room.

You can't rackmount a surge protector as far I know, and the Furman will get rid of dirty signals. I wouldn't really call it a loss of $52.
Quote by dark Mass
You could get one of these .

A compressor would help get rid of that sound?
pinga
Last edited by Cb4rabid at May 20, 2011,
Quote by Cb4rabid

A compressor would help get rid of that sound?

It's a limiter which should help with the power surges.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
It's a limiter which should help with the power surges.

A compressor would add hum though.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
A compressor would add hum though.

True.
What's so annoying about the pop anyway? If it was so annoying you should have noticed it when you were trying the amp out before buying it.

I don't think a compressor will stop the crackling at the start but if you are getting random spikes and clips when you're playing then it will help, but also add hum.
An ISP Decimator costs like $129.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ISP-Technologies-Decimator-Noise-Reduction-Pedal-NEW-/230621316319?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35b21a04df

That will reduce hum.

The point of the power conditioner getting rid of dirty signals is to protect your equipment. Dirty signals and noise/hum/feedback are two different things
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
An ISP Decimator costs like $129.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ISP-Technologies-Decimator-Noise-Reduction-Pedal-NEW-/230621316319?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35b21a04df

That will reduce hum.

The point of the power conditioner getting rid of dirty signals is to protect your equipment. Dirty signals and noise/hum/feedback are two different things

I don't like pedals though.

Oh. Well screw it, i'm still getting the Furman. It's not like it has any negative effects to it.
pinga
It's a tiny little thing you can stick on top/behind/inside your rack

But yeah I must admit I kinda bought my furman for the sake of having another piece of rack gear. Plus it has lights
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
But then it wouldn't be a footpedal!

Im planning on buying the one without lights don't really need them.
pinga