I've got a crate g-10 solid state combo amp. 8 inch speaker, 10-15 watt.

I've had it for almost two years and today it decided to blow a fuse. It had a 250v 1/2amp glass fuse in it. Replaced it, turned the amp on and in like 3 seconds it blew again.

Any idea what the problem could be? This is the first time I've ever even opened up an amp. I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy so I don't wanna take it to the shop just yet. Also, I'm broke and only paid 35 bucks for it in the first place.

I was thinking it needs a bigger fuse, but that doesn't make sense, since the same size fuse worked fine until today.
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
Definitely not worth taking to a shop. Did you replace a slow blow fuse with a fast blow? Other than that you may need to open it up and see if there is any obvious things shorted, blown or charred.
Quote by fly135
Definitely not worth taking to a shop. Did you replace a slow blow fuse with a fast blow? Other than that you may need to open it up and see if there is any obvious things shorted, blown or charred.

I bought fast acting fuses. Is that bad? I don't even know if the old fuse was fast or slow.
Squier Strat
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

Slo-blo allows a quick current surge without blowing. So if you need a slo-blo then that could be a problem. But the original fuse blew and that suggests you may have a another problem with the amp.
Quote by fly135
Slo-blo allows a quick current surge without blowing. So if you need a slo-blo then that could be a problem. But the original fuse blew and that suggests you may have a another problem with the amp.

Right. Maybe the old one was just.. old? And it was slow, so the new fast one just blew because it couldn't handle it?

The circuit board looks fine. Nothing charred, no smell or anything.
Squier Strat
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

Quote by fly135
That's possible. I'd get a slo-blo and maybe even up it to 3/4 amp.

Alright. I'll give it a shot. Thanks, man.
Squier Strat
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

you have a short to ground.

Do not up the amp rating of the fuse, stay with 1/2 amp, find and repair the short.
Quote by ToXyN
you have a short to ground.

Do not up the amp rating of the fuse, stay with 1/2 amp, find and repair the short.

Well, i have no idea how to go about finding it, let alone fixing it, so I guess I'm throwing it out.
Squier Strat
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

Replace it with the correct fuse and try it before you bin it. If it was supposed to be a slow blow, put a slow blow in.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JonnyMonster91
Well, i have no idea how to go about finding it, let alone fixing it, so I guess I'm throwing it out.
Wrap some aluminum foil around the blown fuse, turn it on and look to see what smokes. That will be your short.