putting a set of Bareknuckle Pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus top?

Its a pretty straightfoward question...but im just curious about it. One of my friends told me that putting REALLY good top-dollar pickups in a lower to intermediate grade guitar would be a waste of money...and to just save up and buy a new GOOD guitar.

I, on the other hand, think that if i put GOOD pickups in my decent guitar...my guitar will sound alot better...

I dunno, im in a bit of a predicament...but im wondering what you all think, since you all know WAY more about it than i do. Thanks!
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Just do what you want to. Save your old pickups and if you ever get a new guitar, you can put the BK pups in that one. If your guitar plays well, and you have the cash, you as well give it a shot. Its not going to hurt anything.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
^See thats what i told him, because i DO plan on buying a new guitar in the next 6 months or so....I planned on putting a BKP Mule in the neck and a Nailbomb in the bridge...seems like a good set...hopefully it'll brighten up my tone a bit...the pups i have in it right now are muddy as hell
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Last edited by VintageAmigo at May 20, 2011,
I don't see the problem in putting great pickups in a decent guitar. Any improvement is still improvement, except I do forsee the problem of your lackluster pots and wiring negating a lot of the benefits of new pickups so that the difference won't be incredibly noticeable. I watched a guy play a Epi LP Special in a concert with upped pups and wiring and if not for the logo, I would've thought he was playing an $1800 guitar. IMO 75% of tone is from the amp anyway. 25% can still make a big difference though if you're only taking advantage of a fraction of your potential.
"Words"
Just As I Am

MD PRS Style Semi-Hollow
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Mesa Dual Rectifier
2x12 Celestion 30's
Kustom 200
8x10 EMC's
So if i was going to change the pups i should probably upgrade the default pots out as well...to what...500k?

EDIT: I didnt even notice you saying "wiring"...what would i have to do to upgrade the wiring of the guitar? I know how to put in pups, but i have no clue about any of the wiring or anything of that nature...
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Well... you're to have to rewire it if you take out the pots.

The traditional les paul values are 500k with 0.02 uF caps.

I use CTS 500k pots for all of my les paul's controls. The two volumes are RS guitarworks spec'd CTS pots and the tones are just plain 500k audio taper pots.

CTS pots don't fit into Epiphones though. You will have to ream the holes slightly for them to fit.
Last edited by al112987 at May 20, 2011,
Ah...k...that shouldnt be TOO hard...and for the tone i'd be getting, its well worth the extra work

EDIT: I looked up those CTS 500k pots...the ones i found are on this site:
http://www.allparts.com/500K-Pots-s/20.htm

so the price isnt bad...now just to find some wires

EDIT: Found some wiring for 54$ specifically made for a Les Paul and CTS 500k pots...
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Just remember that you are going to have to slightly ream the holes in your les paul to fit CTS pots. They're not going to fit the stock holes for an Epiphone (or any overseas made guitar).

And measure the pots when you get them. CTS pots have a very high tolerance, 20% iirc. I always buy a few extra (6-7) and use the ones that are closest in value to 500K.

And while I am not advocating that you start a bunch of "which pickup is best for me" threads (please don't), I do urge you to understand that you are thinking about paying $300 for a set of pickups and that you should be pretty clear that you actually want those pickups. Despite what UG would lead you to believe, Bareknuckle is not really the end-all-be-all or ultimate pickup maker.
Last edited by al112987 at May 20, 2011,
Quote by al112987
Just remember that you are going to have to slightly ream the holes in your les paul to fit CTS pots. They're not going to fit the stock holes for an Epiphone (or any overseas made guitar).

And measure the pots when you get them. CTS pots have a very high tolerance, 20% iirc. I always buy a few extra (6-7) and use the ones that are closest in value to 500K.

And while I am not advocating that you start a bunch of "which pickup is best for me" threads (please don't), I do urge you to understand that you are thinking about paying $300 for a set of pickups and that you should be pretty clear that you actually want those pickups. Despite what UG would lead you to believe, Bareknuckle is not really the end-all-be-all or ultimate pickup maker.

I wont start any "what pickup threads"...mainly because i know it annoys the living hell out of you guys...

For the longest time i've been looking into seymour duncans (mainly the PAF's and the lower gained pups, because those are the ones i prefer) as well as Dimarzio and several other brands...I've been debating it for a while (about 6 months...before i started my "what amp" threads...) what to go with...the really high budget pickups...or the good-but-not-great pickups...i think with this post i have made up my mind.

Though i know how to change out pickups, and i know how to wire and sodder the shit out of anything lol...i think im gonna go with the lower budgeted Pickups...mainly because i'd MUCH rather not spend 300$+ on a set of pickups...then completely botch the job and have all that money wasted...

I think i might go with some Seymour Duncans...maybe try my hand at getting some used Gibson pups...i dunno. Possibly the Alnico 2 pups from S. Duncan...

I did do what you all recommended me though, i bought that new amp (Blackstar HT-60 Soloist) and may i say it is UH-Mazing....my tone still feels a little muddy (which is why im on the market for pickups) thought it did clear out ALOT when i bought it.

If only there was pickups that made my guitar weigh less lol
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
go to the gear page or les paul forum to see what people are selling as far as pickups go. low output, PAF-ish pickups are basically all people use around those parts.

i say to know what you want not because you are likely to botch the job (i changed my first set of pickups in a gibson les paul when i was 13, its easy), but because you are spending a lot of money on pickups. and no offense to tim mills, but i'm not really sure i like the mules that much. definitely not enough to pay the price that he charges (and i say that having spent the big bucks on boutique pickups before). there is nothing wrong with seymour duncans, especially his custom shop and antiquity models (which i use now and prefer to a multitude of expensive boutique pickups).
Yeah, I'm actually about to put some new caps and pups in my LP Classic and I'm going to change the color of my rings and pickguard to match the new pups (mmm white)
"Words"
Just As I Am

MD PRS Style Semi-Hollow
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Mesa Dual Rectifier
2x12 Celestion 30's
Kustom 200
8x10 EMC's
Quote by al112987

20% is a terrible tolerance, nearly the worst tolerance for any electronic component (some 30% parts come to mind...). the vast majority of pots are 20%. In pretty much everything but military or aerospace applications, the exact pot value doesnt matter, as long as it is in the neighborhood of the specified value. this is doubly true for guitars. a 500,000 ohm pot won't sound any different than a 550,000 or 450,000 ohm pot. so in 99% of cases, 20% is just fine for a tolerance (though it is not at all a tight tolerance).

Quote by datgnat
Yeah, I'm actually about to put some new caps and pups in my LP Classic and I'm going to change the color of my rings and pickguard to match the new pups (mmm white)

new caps are a waste of money. the ones that come stock are just fine, and when you replace them you are just putting in the exact same OEM parts (same goes for anyone who replaces the pots in their guitar with Alpha pots). then there are people who believe that different cap materials have different tonal differences (they do, but not in a guitar tone control) so they waste 15 bucks on an orange drop or w/e for their tone pot. a guitar's tone circuit is a variable treble dump. in order to get the mojo from caps, the signal has to go through the cap. in a tone control, PART of the signal goes through the cap and then to ground, OUT of the main signal path. all those mojo things, then, are not present in the actual signal.
I use the NOS Russian pio caps in my les paul, I think the treble roll-off might be a little smoother, but I don't know if I'm just imagining it or if it's actually there. Either way, I didn't spend a ton on them, $7 for the pair I think.
Quote by al112987
go to the gear page or les paul forum to see what people are selling as far as pickups go. low output, PAF-ish pickups are basically all people use around those parts.

i say to know what you want not because you are likely to botch the job (i changed my first set of pickups in a gibson les paul when i was 13, its easy), but because you are spending a lot of money on pickups. and no offense to tim mills, but i'm not really sure i like the mules that much. definitely not enough to pay the price that he charges (and i say that having spent the big bucks on boutique pickups before). there is nothing wrong with seymour duncans, especially his custom shop and antiquity models (which i use now and prefer to a multitude of expensive boutique pickups).

Ya, seymour duncans are good...and ya i agree with you...9/10 the users on UG are extremely biased/band wagoning.

Ya, i'll probably end up getting a PAF pup for the neck and a higher gain (not insanely gained) pup for my bridge...just so i do have SOME distortion abilities

now to the "which pups" thread! lol....
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Last edited by VintageAmigo at May 22, 2011,
A PAF-type of pickup DOES have distortion capabilities. They were basically used by every band from the '50s to '70s.

It's not the '80s anymore, with high gain amps and overdrive pedals on the market, there is little reason to buy high output pickups for the sole purpose of having more gain.
Alright...i just assumed that, when used with gain, a lower output pup would get muddy

I'll check out the which pup thread and post back on here to see if the pup combo would work out for me

EDIT: The pups i found that seemed like they would fit my tone and playing styles are:

Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Set

SH-6 Distortion and SH-2

Gibson P94t set-
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-P94T-Humbucker-Sized-P90-Bridge-Pickup?sku=306913
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-P94R-Neck-Pickup?sku=306914

PRS Mark tremonti set- http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/paul-reed-smith-prs-guitars-guitar-pickups-bodies-necks-bridges-nuts-onboard-preamps-pickguards-more?N=100001+336328+202167

these (and Gibson Classic 57's and a few other random pickups) are the best ones i've found...
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Last edited by VintageAmigo at May 22, 2011,