I'm off to college in 3 months and going to study jazz guitar and play in both jazz and rock bands. I need to get a nice jazz guitar. it'd be great if it was good for rock too, but ultimately the most important thing is that it's solid guitar for jazz. Anything from 500 right up to 1000 I'd be willing to consider. Just give me some ideas thanks!
Gibson Les Paul. Named after a Jazz guy, now look what it's being used for. It should work. People will say the QC is going down but that's often not true or they'll see some buckle rash from it being a demo-model in stores and say "THIS IS UNPLAYABLE! GIBSON SUCKS AND SHECTERRRRRRR IS THE BESTEST!"

Any model really should do the trick. Or a Semi-hollow may work.
fender strat.

or PRS SE

would be my suggestions!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Gretsch Synchromatic
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
That depends of the kind of jazz. If your more into bebop like Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery you should probably go with a hollow body. I have an Epiphone Regent and its great for that kind of stuff! If your more into leadish stuff...try a Gibson Les Paul. Its a great jazz guitar like Wisthekiller said. Just slap some 12 or 13 guage flatwounds on there.
Every thread i post in dies...
I'll rattle off a few names: Gretsch Synchromatic, Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin, Hagstrom Jazz Model, Epiphone Emperor, Stromberg Newport...if you're willing to stretch your budget a bit, maybe a D'Angelico Excel or used Gibson ES335...there are a lot of options.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by al112987
In that price range I'd get a les paul studio.

^^^ agreed.
Or, ES335! (Alex Lifeson FTW)
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
Fender tele or fender road worn player tele (has a humbucker in neck)

or a Prs se custom semi hollow or a Epiphone/Gibson les paul
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Dempsey68
fender strat.

or PRS SE

would be my suggestions!

Yes, I would have to agree. Fender Strat is the way to go. It is a very versatile guitar and would suit the jazz style perfectly.

And the price range is roughly in your price range.

ron666
Gibson Flying V, BC Rich Virgin, Jackson Demmelition, ESP Will Alder Signature..
HAHAHAAHHHAHA.
No.
All examples of terrible jazz guitars.

Well, Les Paul's are good for rock, and Jazz, so why not try a Les Paul out, if you can get past the size.
May I reccomend the ESP Willy Alder Signature?
AHHAAHHHAHHH.
No.
American Flag inlay?
Yeh its kinda lame.
So no.

I've seen Jazzers use Strats as well, although kinda generic tehy fit in fine for rock.
If your willing to spend the money PRS's are sweeeeeet, doesnt matter what one, as long as it has the PRS logo on it hahahaha.
They are all good for everything.
Even dubstep and house music.
METAL!
Fender Jaguar.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I would definitely not use a strat. I can't stand them for Jazz, way to bright, they never sound quite right to me. If I were you, I would go for the 60's Tribute Les Paul Studio with P90's. From my experience, P90's are the best pickup for Jazz. I mean, they are the most versatile in my opinion too. For rock and jazz, my two genres, my Les Paul with P90's has become my main guitar. Try one out.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

A thinline Tele.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

A semi hollow. There are so many different brands you could try out; epiphone/Gibson, Ibanez, hagstrom, prs, gretsch. I'm sure there's more, those are just off the top of my head. Worried semi hollow won't be able to handle how heavy you want to get? Dave grohl uses one they can do hard rock all right
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Do you want to be able to play and practice unplugged? Check out the Epiphone Broadway if you do, or a Gibson ES-135 with the P-100's if you don't. Jazz box archtops come in all shapes, scale lengths, and sizes. Pick a guitar for how the neck fits your hand and playing style, as well as the other considerations.