I have $400 to spend on a 5-string bass so I was thinking about some of these ones;
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Raiden-Special5-5String-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=H70462
or
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Omen5-5String-Bass-Guitar?sku=513489

Basically I play anything from The Beatles to All That Remains, and Avenged Sevenfold to RHCP. Any suggestions would be awesome though. However I'm looking for 5-string basses, and I can't really try any out (there's only a 6-string bass and a 4-string bass at my local music shop) any. Thanks for the help in advance

P.S. Right now I'm leaning more towards the Raiden 5-Special because the idea of the coil tap seems pretty cool, so that might be another thing.
I'd go with the Raiden, but either one will serve you well.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'd get a used Sterling Ray 35 or a used 5 string Jazz or something that isn't a Schecter.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I agree with all of the above. My question is: why do you want a 5 string? Unless you are going to do some odd tunings, you should be able to play such a wide range of music on a 4-string. just my opinion, though.

I'd always rather buy a bass I can try first then one i can't.
Last edited by timlikeHim at May 24, 2011,
imo every bass player should have some understanding of playing a five string. That extra string can be a godsend for any style of music once you learn how to use it properly.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
I'd get a used Sterling Ray 35 or a used 5 string Jazz or something that isn't a Schecter.
Yeah or an Ibanez or something.
Well, I don't know where I'd be able to get a used 5-string if I wanted to, but what's so wrong with Schecters?
Just personally not a fan of the neck, body styles, pickups... everything really... You might find you like them. I think you can do better for the money.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I love the fat neck on my shecter but I could definitely see how the ibby guys would hate it. (I don't like ibby necks)

anyway what basses are floating around in your local shop? if they are both schecters you should be able to get a decent idea of what the neck will be like.

and remember if at all possible order form your local shop.
no sir away a papaya war is on
So what bass(es) would you recommend? (I looked at the Music Mans but they kinda cost too much, and i can't find any used for under $700
I have a Schecter Omen 5 Extreme and I love it. the active pickups on it can be a bit volatile.. loud as hell, but you can get a lot of tones out of it by EQing. Personally think it looks better than the Raiden too.
Actually the only basses at my local shop are, one Fender Squier P-Bass (it's a 4 string) at Guitar Haven, a Washburn 6-string at Marion Music, and a Washburn 4-string at A+ Music Store....It's pretty sad the lack of basses here though