so im in the middle of a build and next woodwork class im going to be starting my carve, and im anxious about using a router to step the wood because i dont want it toppling over, especially out on the horn.

i was wondering if anyone knows how good/bad an idea using a drill press as a router would be? id find as wide a bit as possible, although in my class thats probably no more than 3/4 inch, and would be a lot more at ease about the stability and accuracy of the whole thing

any ideas/advice/techniques welcome, thanks
A drill press doesn't have enough power to be an effective router.

I recommend routing the outer "rings" first, so then you have a larger flat surface to rest the router base on. If you're not confident, you could build a jig to keep the router level while you move the guitar body under it.

EDIT: Something like this
Last edited by sashki at May 20, 2011,
Drill press' have a much lower RPM compared to routers, so it'd be slow, dirty, and loud. A router is really easy to keep steady, and would be easier. If not, see if your teacher will do it.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
thanks guys, ya i was thinking outer rings first. atfirst i figured i take as little wood off at first and do the uppermost ring first but then realized all the flaws with that haha. i also like that jig idea. i had thought about building one where the router moves but couldnt figure out how, moving the actual guitar makes alot more sense. i guess drill press is out of the ?, thanks so much