Hey I was just wondering if the A minor pentatonic scales will work in the key of Cmaj. I know Am and C are the same thing key wise that's why I'm asking.
Thanks
My gear:

Fender Highway one Telecaster
Squier Strat (highly upgraded)
Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Fender Fontman 65r guitar amp
Alvarez rd4102c acoustic-electric guitar
They're not the same thing, but C major pentatonic contains same notes as A minor pentatonic, so think of everything in terms of C, not A. But other than that yeah, because they are relative major/minor. Hope it doesn't come across as annoying, but there is a difference between C major and A minor.

Have fun
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
B4 you get crucified, (EDIT: I was slow, that guy beat me to it - but he's a good guy and not full of contempt for a common beginners mistake. props to him)

Am uses A as the tonal centre and C uses C as a tonal centre. This means that although they use the same notes they're not "the same thing key wise". One is major and one is minor.

The term to describe this is "relative" which means they share the same notes but are different scales with different sounds.

The major pentatonic is C D E G A (1 2 3 5 6) (The major scale without the 4th and 7th)
The minor pentatonic is A C D E G (1 ♭3 4 5 ♭7) (The natural minor scale without the 2nd and 6th)

Thus if you use the same notes that are in the A minor pentatonic scale in a context that establishes a C major tonality you will be using the notes of C major pentatonic.

So yes you can but technically you're just playing C major pentatonic.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at May 20, 2011,
Quote by Venice King
They're not the same thing, but C major pentatonic contains same notes as A minor pentatonic, so think of everything in terms of C, not A. But other than that yeah, because they are relative major/minor. Hope it doesn't come across as annoying, but there is a difference between C major and A minor.

Have fun

Ok thanks and yeah I know that Cmajor and A minor are different I just meant that the contain the same notes so I was wondering if it would work.
My gear:

Fender Highway one Telecaster
Squier Strat (highly upgraded)
Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Fender Fontman 65r guitar amp
Alvarez rd4102c acoustic-electric guitar