I already play guitar and I am looking at this cheap $300 epiphone thunderbird bass would it be a waste or is it a solid guitar
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
Your searchbar results in a nutshell: Epi T-bird isn't worth it, get a Squier VM Jazz.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by fmonzo27
I already play guitar and I am looking at this cheap $300 epiphone thunderbird bass would it be a waste or is it a solid guitar

solid bass u mean. and its pretty good for pick playing imo. I dont recommend it if you plan on sitting down alot while playing. May i ask style of music
I'll just say that T birds don't have a particularly good reputation around here. Leaving my personal dislike for them out of it, I will say they're not the most ergonomic design, Epi doesn't have the best QC so quality is pretty variable from bass to bass, and its a bit of a one trick pony.

With that budget you're much better off going for a Peavey Millennium BXP, an Ibanez SR300, or a Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Precision or Jazz.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
It's not the best bass on the market.

I suggest that you look into either Squire VM series or Ibanez GSR/SR series basses.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
The Epi Tunderbird is a $300, 1 tonne, neck-diving paperweight.

I have a Squier VM Bass and I would very highly recommend it along with all the other recommendations above.
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"
I'm still waiting for someone on this forum to take one of those bolt-neck Epiphone Thunderbirds, pop off the neck and stick a MIM Fender P-bass neck on it and make a proper John Entwistle Fenderbird.

It's got to be cheaper than using a real T-bird and an American Fender neck, and I'll bet it beats that Dean monstrosity that's defiling the bass market as we speak.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
I'm still waiting for someone on this forum to take one of those bolt-neck Epiphone Thunderbirds, pop off the neck and stick a MIM Fender P-bass neck on it and make a proper John Entwistle Fenderbird.

It costs more then its worth when you add the cost of the Epi, the Fender neck, the effort you have to put into modification (I'm assuming the Epi neck pocket isn't Fender standard dimensions), plus new pickups to make it sound nice and possibly a Hipshot replacement bridge to get rid of that 3 point monster. All in all, making an Epi a good player: probably not worth the time and money.

Especially when you consider how much money we all have to sink into booze to preserve the sobriety-level of this board. Who needs gear when you can have beer?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
It costs more then its worth when you add the cost of the Epi, the Fender neck, the effort you have to put into modification (I'm assuming the Epi neck pocket isn't Fender standard dimensions), plus new pickups to make it sound nice and possibly a Hipshot replacement bridge to get rid of that 3 point monster. All in all, making an Epi a good player: probably not worth the time and money.

Especially when you consider how much money we all have to sink into booze to preserve the sobriety-level of this board. Who needs gear when you can have beer?

Meh idk about that, $150 for a used 'bird on ebay $50 for a used neck and probably $100 for a set of used pups and then do all the maintenance yourself. I'd say its worth it if you want the look that badly. Also my guitarist always keeps the fridge stocked so no worries on sobriety here lol
Quote by thunderbritches
Also my guitarist always keeps the fridge stocked so no worries on sobriety here lol

Lucky
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by bass//player
The Epi Tunderbird is a $300, 1 tonne, neck-diving paperweight.

I have a Squier VM Bass and I would very highly recommend it along with all the other recommendations above.

This was my biggest issue with it, if you let go it was gonna go straight for the floor and make you look like an idiot. I really don't know much about basses, though. So grain of salt n all, eh?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.