I love the feel of telecaster maple fretboards but there are like no gibsons with maple fretboards is there any reason for that?
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
Because the 1959 Les Paul didn't have one and therefore no Gibson made can

also, the Raw Power series does.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
It's mainly just because most people expect Gibson to stick to the traditional features, so they do. Tbh though, I'd love an LP Custom with a maple fretboard and black inlays.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

They did have a bunch of them in the late 70's and 80's, but they mostly stick to rosewood for historical reasons, as mentioned above.

Also, the new melody makers have heat-treated maple fretboards, to make them look like rosewood. I don't know what they feel like, though.
in fact there are quite a few around. i've seen multiple maple fretboard on les pauls which were build before the raw series was ever introduced.
that said you just have to be lucky to see them on the second hand market. also a shop nearby had one new out of factory once, that was a custom shop one though.

also note that not every product they make is on their site. i've seen some les pauls with finishes that weren't found on the site yet came straigth from the factory to the store.
i would imagine (aside from the whole "tradition" argument) that it's because gibsons don't normally have maple necks. The first fenders had one-piece maple necks (i.e. no separate fretboard, the whole neck and fretboard was the one piece of wood), so there was no need to glue on a separate fretboard. Before that point (afaik) maple wasn't really used for guitar necks (or indeed fretboards).

Gibson-style guitars, by contrast, with mahogany necks (which need a separate fretboard) usually used rosewood or ebony as glued-on fretboards. And while it's possible to do it, glued-on maple fretboards look kinda weird against the dark mahogany neck.

Don't get me wrong- of course you can do it. But it sorta makes sense that they don't, if you get what I'm saying.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Zakk Wylde loves the maple fretboards.
They did make Les Pauls with maple boards in the 70's and 80's as sashki said, but they weren't particularly popular.
Quote by JELIFISH19
The Firebird X has a maple fretboard

The Firebird X is also the most un-traditional thing Gibson has ever done, and it's butt ugly too.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

I saw a white Epi V with maple frets, not sure what it's called but I was quite tempted to go righty for that one guitar even though I've yet to play an Epi I found satisfactory let alone for the $500 they charge for a Standard around here. And the Firebird X has maple frets but...that's the Firebird X. Iunno about you guys but if they put out a Gibson V with maple frets and a Kahler I'd commit mass murder for it. o_o
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
In Canada atleast, thru Long and Mcquade, you can get an Epiphone Negative Les Paul, Explorer, and V . They have white bodies with black accesories and Maple necks.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by Dave_Mc
Before that point (afaik) maple wasn't really used for guitar necks (or indeed fretboards).

I dunno about fretboards, but maple necks were pretty common even before Fender. It was used on bowed instruments, and even on some of Gibson's archtops.
^ oh yeah, i mean i know they were/are used on violins etc.

I thought people took the piss out of fender for the maple neck? Maybe it was just the fretboard...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?