So, lately I finally found a way to get the exact tone I want with my singing (I sing in a modern rock style), but after singing the top of my throat feels a little soar (in the front). Understand I have really bad allergies this time of year and there has been a cold going around. Am I hurting my voice or have my allergies gotten the best of me?

Thanks.

EDIT: SEE LAST POST!
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at May 25, 2011,
If you're hurting at the top of your throat, you're probably using bad technique. Take a breather and wait for the allergies to go down (Zyrtec) and be sure to warm up before singing next time.
Quote by blake1221
If you're hurting at the top of your throat, you're probably using bad technique. Take a breather and wait for the allergies to go down (Zyrtec) and be sure to warm up before singing next time.

I did warm up, but I am congested and have to constantly clear my throat, could that add to the issue?
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Yes, probably. Hit the Zyrtec and take a day or two's rest, come back to it and see. In the immortal words of my ex-track coach Monaco, "Drink plenty of fluids!". Another gem from him was, "Don't do drugs!", but this is rock n' roll. Can't have that, can we?
If it hurts your doing it wrong. So stop, heal and try again. Seeing modern rock can actually be worse for you than metal screaming if you don't know what your doing.

Tips to keep your vox happy
1. get 8 hours of sleep the night before a performance/practice
2. drink lots and lots of water
3. Do not drink Alcohol before singing, no matter what people say
4. Snort a line of coke each morning as breakfast
5. Never, never push your throat or strain for rock vocals. Its absolutely the worst thing you can do.
6. Don't constrict your vocal cords.

Other than that its just trial and error. Eventually you'll find a sound that both works for you and doesn't shorten your ability to speak.
Quote by merriman44
If it hurts your doing it wrong. So stop, heal and try again. Seeing modern rock can actually be worse for you than metal screaming if you don't know what your doing.

Tips to keep your vox happy
1. get 8 hours of sleep the night before a performance/practice
2. drink lots and lots of water
3. Do not drink Alcohol before singing, no matter what people say
4. Snort a line of coke each morning as breakfast
5. Never, never push your throat or strain for rock vocals. Its absolutely the worst thing you can do.
6. Don't constrict your vocal cords.

Other than that its just trial and error. Eventually you'll find a sound that both works for you and doesn't shorten your ability to speak.

One thing I do have to say is that I usually drink a glass of water before and after practicing, which is an hour or more of singing. I find it wierd this is hurting my voice because I'm not doing any radical highs (besides a little falsetto, but I've been doing that a while). I remember back when I started falsetto it hurt my voice a little, but that stopped. So, shall I take a break from falsetto and bring a bottle of water to drink during practice and write back?
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

People who use their voice a lot often damage their voices - telemarketers, teachers, etc. - even if they are not singing at all.

It doesn't matter that you're not singing extremely high or even extremely low. If you are producing your voice incorrectly, you can be doing damage.

Now, based on your description, it is hard to say if it can be the allergies or not. If this just started, it might be. Do these symptoms appear as soon as you start to sing, or do they build up over the course of the evening as you sing for half an hour, an hour, two hours, etc?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Hmmm. It didn't start until recently. They seem to build up over the hour. I use the Bel Canto Technique and try to direct my air to my sinuses and slightly to the back of my throat.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at May 21, 2011,
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
Hmmm. It didn't start until recently.

Then it could be allergies....

Quote by Robbin'TheHood

They seem to build up over the hour. I use the Bel Canto Technique and try to direct my air to my sinuses and slightly to the back of my throat.

But this leads to believe it might be your technique. Allergies don't build up over the hour. Abuse does.

Now, the Bel Canto technique does NOT direct air to the sinuses (at least not directly) and does NOT aim *anything* to the back of the throat. Directing *anything* at the back of the throat increases the likelihood of friction in the back of the throat, which could well lead to the symptoms you are describing. It also restricts your projection and your resonance.

Check out the link in my sig for more info on Bel Canto.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Ah. The lift of throat... I forgot to use that! That's what I've been doing wrong. Lately, I've been trying to fine tune my voice and got what I was looking for by directing my voice to the back of my throat, "never direct your voice to the soft palate." I new I was missing something. *I've only used the belcanto for a couple months.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at May 21, 2011,
Stage one of the technique - "The Lift of the throat."

Yeah, the technique really requires the steps to be learned in order and mastered in order before moving onto the next one.

If you consider the third step of "The Inhalation of the voice".... it is absolutely impossible to do that until you have the other two stages nailed down and nailed down well.

With my students, I liken it to riding a bike with no hands. First, you *have* to be able to coast with both hands on the handlebars. Then you have to be able to pedal with both hands on the handlebars. Then you have to be able to ride with one hand. If you don't follow that order, and master each step in sequence, you have no choice but to fail.

CT

So, I read some articles, watched some videos, and I finally figured out how to do the bel canto technique. Allergies are still making me a bit congested, but that'll be over soon. Any advice towards using this technique?
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I try to rewatch the videos or reread the articles (Brian Vollmer's site has a great explanation of them) regularly to make sure I'm doing it right. If you're teaching yourself to sing it seems fairly easy to forget details, or misunderstand a technique and start doing something ridiculous. I genuinely once thought I'd nailed the inhalation, but was actually halfway towards doing a Mr Bean voice.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding
I try to rewatch the videos or reread the articles (Brian Vollmer's site has a great explanation of them) regularly to make sure I'm doing it right. If you're teaching yourself to sing it seems fairly easy to forget details, or misunderstand a technique and start doing something ridiculous. I genuinely once thought I'd nailed the inhalation, but was actually halfway towards doing a Mr Bean voice.

Based on how the videos of Edward L. Johnson described the inhalation of voice, I understand that breath shouldn't be exiting out of the mouth, but out the nostrals. Which it is when I sing.

GOOD NEWS my throat doesn't hurt any more!!! BUT today when I sang, I got really focused on my controlling my voice/playing guitar and held my neck funny. So, now I have slight neck pain on the outer left side (not related to singing). Better get a heat pack...
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at May 25, 2011,