I'm using 10 gauge, I don't know if it's me but I swear I'm having a REALLY irritatingly tough time doing a solid vibrato/bend between frets 6 and 11 on any string. I figure since it's the middle theres less tension or something? thus requiring more bending?

In a nut shell... is this the last place on high E strings (Eb for me) that I should be doing vibrato? I mean it can be done there, it just really rapes my finger joints in my smaller digits-- particularly my pinky. To get a 1/2 step vibrato relatively quick for more aggressive leads, I barely have to fluctuate the note on fret 20 for example. But on fret 7 I'm pretty sure I need to do what is equivalent of a 3/2 step bend for the extreme ends of the guitar.

Therefore, is it just my guitar? If physics isn't the issue: is it unreasonable to expect super fast vibrato skills in that region? Maybe I'm just doing the technique wrong. I have no issue bending, but the distance required to do a more intense vibrato just seems downright impossible for my high E string. I find it easier doing the "downwards" vibrato versus upwards that I'm forced to do on the E strings. Don't get me wrong, I can bend the crap out of my strings if need be with my fingers.
Is minor pain usual? I'm under the assumption that no pain = good, but I have definite muscle weakness in my pinky finger when doing bending. I support it with all 4 fingers, but I'm afraid I'm just going to injure the joint a lot doing so.
thats a tough spot to bend its gonna hurt a lil but dont giv up itll be ez in no time!
Quote by rbouchard47
thats a tough spot to bend its gonna hurt a lil but dont giv up itll be ez in no time!

Well my thread got trolled. Damn it.
You could always play the some note on another string and do your vibrato there or you could learn how to do vibrato properly.

You also don't need strong fingers to bend...I can bend with my pinky on .12s and my pinky is weak as shit.

Your guitar's heavy. Use that to your advantage.
Last edited by XianXiuHong at May 20, 2011,
Quote by XianXiuHong
You could always play the some note on another string and do your vibrato there or you could learn how to do vibrato properly.

You also don't need strong fingers to bend...I can bend with my pinky on .12s and my pinky is weak as shit.

Your guitar's heavy. Use that to your advantage.

One thing I found I was doing drastically wrong was tightening up my [pinky] finger when doing vibrato. I made it so I only press on it and use my wrist.

Now it feels much much easier to bend, but is this the right motion with the wrist?

- Relaxed and no bending my palms are parallel/in line with my forearm

- When doing bigger bends I use no finger strength whatsoever now, but my palm extends, creating more of a 90 degree bend
NO BEND ........................... BEND

The first image from a birds eye view has my forearm under the guitar nice and straight. I don't play like that, but for sake of example lets say its 180 degrees, now on the right when I do a bend doing ONLY wrist, my guitar goes into this palm up position... the wrist extends backwards.
Is this bad?
Quote by TheChosen1One
One thing I found I was doing drastically wrong was tightening up my [pinky] finger when doing vibrato. I made it so I only press on it and use my wrist.

Now it feels much much easier to bend, but is this the right motion with the wrist?

- Relaxed and no bending my palms are parallel/in line with my forearm

- When doing bigger bends I use no finger strength whatsoever now, but my palm extends, creating more of a 90 degree bend
NO BEND ........................... BEND

The first image from a birds eye view has my forearm under the guitar nice and straight. I don't play like that, but for sake of example lets say its 180 degrees, now on the right when I do a bend doing ONLY wrist, my guitar goes into this palm up position... the wrist extends backwards.
Is this bad?

I wouldn't have my wrist extend backwards like that, it's not an efficient motion to use when playing and it risks injury. A straight wrist is a strong wrist, you can still use your guitar's weight to your advantage without the backwards wrist.

I would only really save the backwards wrist for very special moments in the music where I need to do an epic bend that can't be done with only the weight of the guitar and even then, I would look for other ways to avoid that.
I don't think it should feel hard like that anywhere on the neck.
Answering your question, in my experience it's not supposed to feel harder to bend/vibrato on that region

One thing about vibrato is that your ears have to be on a good level for you to really hear what your doing it. You don't need to to a 1/2 step vibrato, for me personally that's too wide (this depends on your genre/style of course, generally metal or rock use at least 1/2 step in a fast way...)
Try a less wide vibrato and see if you can hear the pitch change.

Also, make sure you are using your wrist to do both, might be a technique problem
I have a bit of a tougher time bending at that region, but only marginally so. I would have your guitar looked at, just to make sure it's not a mechanical problem. As for your vibrato issue, you could always use butterfly vibrato. I find it's a lot easier to use in situations like the one you're describing. Just my two cents mate.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.