Hey guys,
I am a guitar player playing post rock. I currently play through a Mesa 5:50 Express. Due to months of searching for a bassist and many flakers I have decided to switch to bass. I will most likely still play guitar for some songs. After reading the FAQ I am looking for a quality bass amp. Like the Mesa, I am looking for an equally versatile amp that it both versatile for bass AND guitar.

Budget is not really a prob but id like to keep it under 1k.

All help appreciated
Bass and guitar huh.
Are on board effects like distortion a big deal?
If they are you may just want to use a very loud guitar head with bass cabs.
Quote by matt-attack
Bass and guitar huh.
Are on board effects like distortion a big deal?
If they are you may just want to use a very loud guitar head with bass cabs.

Dont care about effects. I have a big ol pedal board with all the effects I need. What do you recommend I do.
Well it all depends on what tone you're looking for, there are hundreds of options for you

For example do you want a solid state or hybrid (full tube is going to be out of the budget)

Do you want a 410, 115, 212, 610, 810 cab?

I'm not trying to be a dick but what kind of sound you're going for will help us help you.

Btw, I do applaud you for actually doing your homework, most guitarists come in here and ask if they can just play on their guitar amps
Then a bass amp is the way to go. Many guitar players use bass amps because they like the sound better.
I can't recommend a hartke because I know mine has issues with guitars sometimes where I have to plug a bass in and play a note before a guitar will play without cutting out. Though this issue is weird as hell and probably only happens to me.

Honestly if it was me I'd be looking for a tube bass amp from a reputable brand in this situation. Google is your friend.
How do you feel about Orange? The Thunderverb 200 is an amazing guitar and bass amp.

Dunno if you could get it 2nd hand for that price or not.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by thunderbritches
Well it all depends on what tone you're looking for, there are hundreds of options for you

For example do you want a solid state or hybrid (full tube is going to be out of the budget)

Do you want a 410, 115, 212, 610, 810 cab?

I'm not trying to be a dick but what kind of sound you're going for will help us help you.

Btw, I do applaud you for actually doing your homework, most guitarists come in here and ask if they can just play on their guitar amps

Okay. I feel like a JACKASS for not answering that. I bought a Fender Jazz Bass deluxe with active pickups. Their pretty damn versatile so I can get a real deep heavy bass sound (which I want for bass), but I want a nice trebley sound for guitar. I assume (according to the FAQ) that since bass amps can handle a lower deeper sound, they SHOULD be able to have a good twangy trebely sound for guitar.

Loudness wise: I just need 50w or louder. Enough to be loud to fill bigger than an average gig WITHOUT mic. Miced up it shouldnt be a problem.

About the tube/solid state: Is a tube bass amp essentially the same thing as a tube guitar amp? More tonal variety, clearer and "louder"?

I plan to buy used so yeah...A guy I knew had a Trace Elliot and it was nice, but from reading I assume ASHDOWN is essentially the same thing as a T.E
Quote by gilly_90
How do you feel about Orange? The Thunderverb 200 is an amazing guitar and bass amp.

Dunno if you could get it 2nd hand for that price or not.

Never used Orange, and never considered it. I will look into it. Thank you.
I just now read where you want to use it on both bass and guitar which complicates things a little bit. My recommendation is to get a hybrid bass amplifier at around the $500 range (check gk, carvin, markbass, etc you'll probably around 500 watts) match that with a 212 BASS cab, if you use a guitar cab you'll blow the speakers in a matter of weeks. For cabs check out the above brands plus avatar, ashdown, ampeg, or just about whatever you can find. Then I recommend you set the eq on the amp for your bass and have an eq pedal on your board that you can turn on for your guitar
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01
Okay. I feel like a JACKASS for not answering that. I bought a Fender Jazz Bass deluxe with active pickups. Their pretty damn versatile so I can get a real deep heavy bass sound (which I want for bass), but I want a nice trebley sound for guitar. I assume (according to the FAQ) that since bass amps can handle a lower deeper sound, they SHOULD be able to have a good twangy trebely sound for guitar.

Loudness wise: I just need 50w or louder. Enough to be loud to fill bigger than an average gig WITHOUT mic. Miced up it shouldnt be a problem.

About the tube/solid state: Is a tube bass amp essentially the same thing as a tube guitar amp? More tonal variety, clearer and "louder"?

I plan to buy used so yeah...A guy I knew had a Trace Elliot and it was nice, but from reading I assume ASHDOWN is essentially the same thing as a T.E

sorry for the double post, but to answer these questions:
first off, nice choice for a first bass

Secondly, if you look at my rig I don't even own a guitar amp, my electric sounds awesome through my bass rig, big full and rich with my eq it has some awesome blues tones, up the treble and the horn and it'll have all the twang you want, though you have to mess with it some to get a good distortion tone which is why I recommend the hybrid to help you out a little but.

Next tube vs. solid state is a war that unlike in guitar land never resolved, they both have pros and cons but in bass world neither is truly better
Quote by thunderbritches
I just now read where you want to use it on both bass and guitar which complicates things a little bit. My recommendation is to get a hybrid bass amplifier at around the $500 range (check gk, carvin, markbass, etc you'll probably around 500 watts) match that with a 212 BASS cab, if you use a guitar cab you'll blow the speakers in a matter of weeks. For cabs check out the above brands plus avatar, ashdown, ampeg, or just about whatever you can find. Then I recommend you set the eq on the amp for your bass and have an eq pedal on your board that you can turn on for your guitar

I assume a hybrid is half SS half tube. Also can you recommend any certain models of the brands you listed above? As well as a brand for the guitar EQ pedal?

All help is truly appreciated you guys. Thanks a lot. Keep the opinions coming!
Quote by thunderbritches
sorry for the double post, but to answer these questions:
first off, nice choice for a first bass

Secondly, if you look at my rig I don't even own a guitar amp, my electric sounds awesome through my bass rig, big full and rich with my eq it has some awesome blues tones, up the treble and the horn and it'll have all the twang you want, though you have to mess with it some to get a good distortion tone which is why I recommend the hybrid to help you out a little but.

Next tube vs. solid state is a war that unlike in guitar land never resolved, they both have pros and cons but in bass world neither is truly better

I checked your gear. I noticed you have an SWR and a Fender. Which is the one you are referring too?
As much as I dislike the man, the MXR Kerry King EQ pedal has some great features and has always gotten good reviews, I've been meaning to try one myself. That is if you were looking to go down that road.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
You assume correctly, tube preamp and ss power amp which gives similar tonal qualities for 1/3 the price and 1/10th the weight lol

As for models of heads check out the galien krueger fusion 550, carvin bx500, and there are several markbass options, idrk for cabs though just browse around on musicians friend and you should find something.

for the pedal, I know mxr makes one which my guitarist uses to clean up the midrange on his amp, and I think boss may make one, you may also want to check out one of those 31 band rack eqs
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01
I checked your gear. I noticed you have an SWR and a Fender. Which is the one you are referring too?

I mainly run it through the swr, but it sounds a little but better to my ear through the fender, but alas I'm at school and can only fit one amp and so I went with my half stack (swr & peavey) over my combo (fender)
Quote by thunderbritches
I mainly run it through the swr, but it sounds a little but better to my ear through the fender, but alas I'm at school and can only fit one amp and so I went with my half stack (swr & peavey) over my combo (fender)

I guess they dont make that model SWR? I cant find it on ebay...
Quote by thunderbritches
Yea its been discontinued for a while, but they do have newer models that would work for you

Such as..
Quote by thunderbritches
They've replaced the working man series with the working pro idk specific models of them though

Damn. Well I will look into them and the GK, and markbass. That carvin is nice.

How good is carvin? I hear about them a lot but off the top of my head the only people I know that use them are ZZ top...
Some people love them, some hate them, there was a problem early on with that model but I think they remedied it, and everyone that I know who had a problem carvin fixed it on warranty no questions asked. That being said it was far from being a majority of the amps out there had problems, and most were built like a tank it was just those few that got that amp a bit of a bad name, at this point though I'd say you're safe. I like the looks of the gk but haven't played on it and I'm a big markbass fan from what I've played on from them, but they'll be more expensive
Quote by thunderbritches
I'm a big markbass fan from what I've played on from them, but they'll be more expensive

Not if you're fine with the plain SS ones, you can grab Little Mark II and III heads for around $400/$500 or the 2x10 combos for like $800 give or take, its only the LM Tubes or the hard to find ones like the F1's or SA's that can get pricier.

I'll +1 to GK, Markbass, and SWR, especially if you go used. I don't have enough experience with Carvin to comment, but I'm sure FatalGear would help with them if he pops his head into this thread. A Peavey Tour 700 might be worth looking into as well.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01

WHOA. Stop everything.

50w for bass is NOT the same as guitar. 50w for guitar can get pretty loud. 50w for bass, you might as well play the bass unplugged if you're planning to use that for gigs. Most people on here will say no less than 300w if you're planning to use it for shows and stuff.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
WHOA. Stop everything.

50w for bass is NOT the same as guitar. 50w for guitar can get pretty loud. 50w for bass, you might as well play the bass unplugged if you're planning to use that for gigs. Most people on here will say no less than 300w if you're planning to use it for shows and stuff.

Awesome. Thank you for that helpful information. 300W minimum on whatever head/combo I buy. As for the cab, what do you suggest? How many speakers in a cab?
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01
Awesome. Thank you for that helpful information. 300W minimum on whatever head/combo I buy. As for the cab, what do you suggest? How many speakers in a cab?

No problem.

The most common for bass are 4x10 or a 1x15. 410s are usually louder, more punchy because they have more mids and 115s are usually fatter, deeper and bassier. This is actually pretty subjective because I use a 215 and while it's extremely bassy, I can't get a pretty punchy bright tone by adjusting the EQ.

If you're on a budget, look for Acoustic cabs. They go for dirt cheap even brand new. It depends on your location though, I heard they aren't available out of the US?

Also, Carvin amps and cabs. They're pretty well-known and i've never heard anything negative about them. They make great stuff and amazing prices. If you go used, you can find an old Peavey head or cab and they make great stuff that'll last you a life time.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
No problem.

The most common for bass are 4x10 or a 1x15. 410s are usually louder, more punchy because they have more mids and 115s are usually fatter, deeper and bassier. This is actually pretty subjective because I use a 215 and while it's extremely bassy, I can't get a pretty punchy bright tone by adjusting the EQ.

If you're on a budget, look for Acoustic cabs. They go for dirt cheap even brand new. It depends on your location though, I heard they aren't available out of the US?

Also, Carvin amps and cabs. They're pretty well-known and i've never heard anything negative about them. They make great stuff and amazing prices. If you go used, you can find an old Peavey head or cab and they make great stuff that'll last you a life time.

Thanks. Any peavy/carvin models in specific?
not sur eif this was mentioned (didnt read everycomment) but maybe a fender bassman

also with tube vs SS for bass i think i prefer SS. i find tube amps to sound to warm and its kind of hard to get a funky tone. however a bass tube amp (i use the marhsall jcm 800 bass) sounds great with guitar. youll need an OD though
Nice transparent little heads. Maybe a tad overpriced but that's just imo.

I'm seriously surprised no-one's said to have a look into an old Silverface Fender Bassman. Would be absolutely perfect imo. You should be able to find one around the 700ish mark. Probably less.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Nice transparent little heads. Maybe a tad overpriced but that's just imo.

I'm seriously surprised no-one's said to have a look into an old Silverface Fender Bassman. Would be absolutely perfect imo. You should be able to find one around the 700ish mark. Probably less.

While they sound great I'm not so sure it would have enough volume for gigging. I know I had trouble cutting through when all I had to use was my blonde.
100 watts tube should be plenty especially with PA support. An Ampeg V4bh would be sweet too.
Din of Win's got a lot of experience gigging with those kinds of low-wattage tube bass heads so he should be able to add a bit more to the subject when he comes along.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
100 watts tube should be plenty especially with PA support. An Ampeg V4bh would be sweet too.
Din of Win's got a lot of experience gigging with those kinds of low-wattage tube bass heads so he should be able to add a bit more to the subject when he comes along.

Discontinued. What else can you recommend? What is the wattage of the bassman's?
Go used. Bassmans' 100 watts iirc. Have a look at the Traynor YBA 200 too.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at May 23, 2011,
Quote by consecutive e
Go used. Bassmans' 100 watts iirc. Have a look at the Traynor YBA 200 too.

I want to go used. I dont want to exceed 800. Is 100 watts enough? Whats the equivalent of 50 watts in guitar amps? ( a user said 300 was equivalent, would you agree?)