I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 6 months and I am looking to buy a cheap electric + amp. I was thinking about getting an Epiphone Les Paul 100 ($290) and a Roland Micro Cube amp ($170). I figured the Micro Cube would be a good choice because I just play at home and don't need a powerful amp, and I heard the LP 100 was a good beginners choice. Any suggestions for a budget around $500?

Edit: I live in Australia, and a good all round guitar would be nice, but I would lean more towards a clean or bluesy sound as opposed to heavy metal.
Last edited by Ash7778 at May 21, 2011,
First, I wouldn't go with a Micro Cube unless space is an issue. I bought one for my dorm because... well, space was an issue. And it's got a decent 2 cleans, and the Rec model is good for high gain, but the two Brit models are pretty trashy. Also, you shouldn't be paying $170. I got mine brand new for $80 shipped.

I'd recommend a used Peavey Vypyr 30 hesitantly- it'll be ~$150 used, but much much better than the Micro Cube.

Where are you and what are some artists whose tone you really like? That'll help a lot with the guitar and amp suggestions, and let us look at your Craigslist and such for used stuff.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Ash7778
I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 6 months and I am looking to buy a cheap electric + amp. I was thinking about getting an Epiphone Les Paul 100 ($290) and a Roland Micro Cube amp ($170). I figured the Micro Cube would be a good choice because I just play at home and don't need a powerful amp, and I heard the LP 100 was a good beginners choice. Any suggestions for a budget around $500?

Hey there, I would go with an Aria STG series....you may not have heard of this make before but they are american made and sound a lot better than squier models...I would run it through a Marshall MDx 10 Practice...All together you are looking at less then the Roland and the Epiphone. epiphones are a waste (in my opinion) too heavy, and the tone just isn't there....this Aria guitar sounds beautifully like a strat, a lot better then the mexcian and chinese fenders....and the marshall with the one gain know can get you distortion and crunch equal to a pedal, with the right setting it sounds like a tube.....I would honestly play a show with this little inexpensive set up. It sounds that good. Unless your willing to buy a mini tube amp go with marshall....
Im not too sure about this. I havn't bought it yet, but i am going to in a month.

I found a store which sold me a VOX DA5 for $169 AUD (about the same as USD)

Here are the reviews on UG
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/vox/da5/index.html

Its basically a small 5W with battery and stuff...its also got effects, reverb, delay, tremolo etc.

I wouldnt use it for performance though.
I just had to post this, didn't I.
I got the epiphone les paul 100 as my first guitar, it was just great. Very versatile and well made for its price. I was considering a Squire strat, but it just felt so much cheaper. If you go to any guitar store and play guitars in that price range, youll definitely notice that the epiphone has a much more solid feeling to it. Personally, its my number one recommendation for that price range. Even with higher end guitars in my collection I still find myself riffing away on the Epi LP100 every now and then. As for the amp, I never noticed too huge a difference in beginner amps. My recommendation though would be to get a nice little combo amp, nothing too extensive, just an amp where you can really get a feel for all the different effects. My first amp was a Line 6 Spider IV 75, and although the effects were obviously digital, I really developed a good feel for them and was able to experiment a lot more. If $190 is your price range though, that particular Line 6 would be much more expensive, but I'm sure they have many mini amp models with a good set of effects for around $190. The thing that definitely turns off a lot of beginner electric guitar players is the lack of knowledge on effects. Hope that helps!
TS, tell us what music you like playing, your budget and if you like new or used stuff.

Micro Cube is a good buy if space is an issue. Personally, I would go with the Roland Cube 15X, because of the 3 band EQ and 4 types of distortion [but only 1 clean]. It's also louder.
Also, they have released a Cube 15XL, which is pretty much the same as the 15X, but with different distortion models.

Considering you looked at a Les Paul, take a look at the Stagg L350.
It's a Les Paul style guitar, comes in different sexy finishes and has the
similar features as a Epi LP. Differences are in CAPS
- Hardtail bridge
- Two humbuckers
- MADE OF ALDER
- HAS A SET NECK
- 4 knobs and a 3 way pickup selector switch
etc
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Fender Squier affinity + Roland cube 20x !

http://www.musicstore.de/pt_PT/PTE/Fender-Squier-Affinity-Strat-RW-BK-Black/art-GIT0000001-003

http://www.musicstore.de/pt_PT/PTE/Roland-Cube-20-XL-Combo-/art-GIT0020118-000

It's a wonderful and cheap starter pack! I've been playing for 2 years with a second hand squier and a roland cube, and I've played and praticed every style of music without problems, with a good decent sound! You got all the sounds and essential effects for everything.
I know Squire's have a bit of a bad reputation, but they made some newer ones called Classic Vibe 40's or 50's. and they play pretty good for their price; not a bad starter electric at all
For a first guitar I'd always go to the Yamaha Paciffica 112 first. They're really good guitars, readily available second hand and take upgrades really well. I bought mine on Ebay for just £80, spent £40 on a setup and fret dress and installed a Seymour Duncan JB and Hotrails that I'd taken out of my Jackson and I swear it plays at least as well as any MiM Fender I've ever played.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Picklelerner
I got the epiphone les paul 100 as my first guitar, it was just great. Very versatile and well made for its price. I was considering a Squire strat, but it just felt so much cheaper. If you go to any guitar store and play guitars in that price range, youll definitely notice that the epiphone has a much more solid feeling to it. Personally, its my number one recommendation for that price range. Even with higher end guitars in my collection I still find myself riffing away on the Epi LP100 every now and then. As for the amp, I never noticed too huge a difference in beginner amps. My recommendation though would be to get a nice little combo amp, nothing too extensive, just an amp where you can really get a feel for all the different effects. My first amp was a Line 6 Spider IV 75, and although the effects were obviously digital, I really developed a good feel for them and was able to experiment a lot more. If $190 is your price range though, that particular Line 6 would be much more expensive, but I'm sure they have many mini amp models with a good set of effects for around $190. The thing that definitely turns off a lot of beginner electric guitar players is the lack of knowledge on effects. Hope that helps!

Did you encounter any problems with the lp?
Yamaha pacifica 112 FTW! And get yourself a nice 30w combo I think a Peavy Vyper was mentioned somewhere so either that or a Line 6 Spider (flameshield on). Would be a good beginner set up
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Get the roland micro cube - 130$ Good for portability and gets some good sounds.
And then look for a used fender mim strat can be anywhere between 200$ to 300$. Great for blues and rock .
If you have to buy new then get an epiphone sg 350$ or an epiphone les paul for about the same price.
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J5 Semi-Hollow
Fender Princeton Chorus
Tell us your budget and all that Jazz.

I would go for a roland Cube 15xl and a good cheap Ibanez if it were me, but your standards may be different.