I need to find a good distortion pedal for the Fender Blues Jr III.
Budget: under $100 if possible
Genres pedal will be used in: Modern Hard Rock, Blues, Classic Rock (must be versatile)

Some pedals I've heard of: Boss, Greenie, Vox Satchurator, Electro-Harmonix, and
Danelectro.

Maybe even a tube screamer? Not sure. Just want to hear opinions.
I'd stay away from any Boss dirt pedal. In my experience, their delay pedals are okay, their tuner is awesome, everything else is mediocre at best. Tubescreamers, as you know, make any guitar-amp combination sound like "some guitar, some amp, and a Tubescreamer."
If you don't need metal gain, look at boosters. Then set the amp as loud as you can without distortion, and when you hit the boost it'll go into natural, crunchy overdrive. Have you checked out the Xotic EP Booster? It's pretty awesome. $116 from PGS. The EHX Line Power Booster's a classic, of course, and so's the MXR Microamp--both great choices. Again, a little over your price preference, we've got the Homebrew Germania, which is $112 from PGS and amazingly sweet and thick sounding. That one would be my choice, if I was looking to get rock distortion out of a Blues Jr.

If you need more dirt than you can get that way (which you shouldn't, for rock and blues, but whatever) there's the EHX Germanium OD, which is more of a fuzz than an overdrive, but with do a good gritty crunch. The Nobels ODR-1 is great for a more snarling tone. If you want something Tubescreamery but more transparent, the Danelectro Cool Cat Overdrive is a lot like a Fulltone OCD for less money, and a lot of people swear by the Digitech Bad Monkey.

There are tons of options out there. My money would be on the Germania--here's a demo of it: http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-boost-pedals-c-602_43/homebrew-electronics-germania-treble-booster-p-490.
Please get something with a lot of low end, Blues Jrs are obnoxiously trebley.

By the way, if you bump your budget up a bit, you get a lot more options. A lot of the low end boutique stuff will be way better than the stuff in your budget. Catalinbread is the first brand that comes to mind, check out their line up, they have some wicked dirt boxes.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I love the DLS, can't speak on the Formula No. 5 though. Also check out the WIIO if you're into the Hiwatt tone.

Quote by bogg808

I love Hiwatts. Thank you, kind stranger.

Oh, TS, I forgot to mention the Muff Fuzz. A little on the grungy side, but it makes fair overdrive, and it's pretty cheap--around $40, IIRC.
Ehhh, a Big Muff is probably too saturated for what he wants to do, needs something crunchier.

I'm Chris, by the way.

Quote by bogg808

Hi, Chris, I'm Joe.

I didn't mean the Big Muff. The Muff Fuzz is basically a Fuzz Face with clipping diodes. I built a clone a while back (which I regret selling now) that did a great mid-gain crunch. More overdrive than fuzz, unless you run it flat out.
Ahhhh, I haven't played one of those, but I do love me some Fuzz Face. Most are too mild for me though, Peppermint for the ****ing win.

Also, if you build pedals, you should come hang out in the pedalboard thread. You'd enjoy most of the conversation. On the rare occasions when we actually discuss pedals, it's usually about building them.

Quote by bogg808

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at May 21, 2011,
I'll swing by when I can, but I don't actually have any idea what I'm doing. I just put components together and hope nothing catches fire. Sometimes it works.

I just remembered that Devi Ever makes some things that are not incredibly over-the-top raging self-oscillating fuzz beasts. The Dark Boost, Punch Love and Karaoke Party would all work well on a Blues Jr. The Torn's Peaker has nothing to do with the kind of sound TS is looking for, but I recommend it anyway, because it's amazing.
I refuse to buy from Devi, she always comes off like a whiney bitch when I see her posts on forums. Her, Bearfoot, BFJe, and Zvex shall never see my money.

Quote by bogg808

I try to ignore the personalities of people making pedals, or I couldn't use Fulltones...which I don't anyway, but I mean, if I wanted to. I love that Mike Fuller he claims every company that uses 3PDT switches to true bypass a pedal is ripping him off. Yeah, Mike. Using a 3PDT switch to switch three things is a fresh and original idea.
I've only spoken to her once, but dear Buddha's ghost do I love Devi's pedals. Unlikely I'll buy any, though, too many things on the list before a new fuzz.
Personality is the second reason I always recommend Catalinbread and Blackout, I've talked with guys from both companies, and they're super chill, along with making magnificent, well priced pedals. It really is a travesty there's no Cattybread on my board right now...

Quote by bogg808

Yeah, the next two dirt pedals on my list are the Formula No. 5 and the Musket Fuzz, so I'm glad to hear that they're cool people.
I've got a Musket, fantastic pedal.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
Please get something with a lot of low end, Blues Jrs are obnoxiously trebley.

By the way, if you bump your budget up a bit, you get a lot more options. A lot of the low end boutique stuff will be way better than the stuff in your budget. Catalinbread is the first brand that comes to mind, check out their line up, they have some wicked dirt boxes.

Really!? I was hoping the "Fat Series Blues JR III" would have fatter mid and low end
tones as promised. It can't possibly be as trebly as a Vox.

How much of a budget bump we talkin' here? $30? $50?
I was thinking about getting a Fulltone OCD. It seems to be a good pedal
for my tone obsessive-compulsive-ness.

Honestly, the Blues Jr. was just an amp I've been saving up for. A boutique
amp maker told me I couldn't go wrong with it. It's mostly because my budget
on amps. The Marshalls in the price range are either Class 5s or MG series.
I don't want a Roland, Peavey, Line 6, Behringer, Crate, or anything like that.
Going for straight tube and analog, not solid-state digital crap.
Have heard good things about the Blues JRs and Blackstar amps.
Last edited by blakeg14 at May 21, 2011,
Quote by blakeg14
Really!? I was hoping the "Fat Series Blues JR III" would have fatter mid and low end
tones as promised. It can't possibly be as trebly as a Vox.

How much of a budget bump we talkin' here? $30? $50?
I was thinking about getting a Fulltone OCD. It seems to be a good pedal
for my tone obsessive-compulsive-ness.

Honestly, the Blues Jr. was just an amp I've been saving up for. A boutique
amp maker told me I couldn't go wrong with it. It's mostly because my budget
on amps. The Marshalls in the price range are either Class 5s or MG series.
I don't want a Roland, Peavey, Line 6, Behringer, Crate, or anything like that.
Going for straight tube and analog, not solid-state digital crap.
Have heard good things about the Blues JRs and Blackstar amps.

It's not THAT trebley. Just turn the treble down if you think there is too much. I thought it was pretty full sounding, but just not a lot of "punch in the chest" bass thump unless you crank the bass. It sounds fatter, it just doesn't FEEL fatter. I don't know if that makes sense. It's honestly a decent amp. I just like having an overdrive/lead channel to go to.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
It's not THAT trebley. Just turn the treble down if you think there is too much. I thought it was pretty full sounding, but just not a lot of "punch in the chest" bass thump unless you crank the bass. It sounds fatter, it just doesn't FEEL fatter. I don't know if that makes sense. It's honestly a decent amp. I just like having an overdrive/lead channel to go to.

Ah, ok that makes sense.
It would be nice if the Blues Jr. came with overdrive/distortion. It must have
some type of gain though, because it has a volume and a master knob. Useful
for "cranking" I presume? That's achieved by turning the volume up and
the master down.

He gets some nice tones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GufbDkDwk2w
A pedal would still be cool to have.

The Fender Blues Jr. blows the Super Champ XD, Mustang II, and Frontman 212R
out of the water. They can't even be compared, probly because they're all solid-state
and the SCXD has too many effects. I cannot stand amps loaded with effects, which
is why I have such a grudge against Line 6. They're selling effects, not tone..pisses
me off.
Last edited by blakeg14 at May 21, 2011,