Hi everyone. First of all, if I posted in the wrong sub-forum I am apologising right now

I got myself a guitar 2 weeks ago ( a approximately 100$ Harley Benton), and I started playing. And here is my problem. If I see some tabs, even if I have the measures above the tabs, I still can't really get the song to sound right, not even with a metronome, I can't keep the measure. But if I listen to the song, I just know how long to keep every note.
The problem is that I don't know if this is a bad thing and I should start practising more with the metronome, or it is just a newbie thing and I will get used to it?

*I don't plan on becoming some sort of rockstar, I just do it for fun and have no knowledge in music at all (seriously, nothing at all ) )
Listening is the most important part! You will pick up the little nuances (like how hard or soft something is picked) that tabs just can't show. You will also develop your ear which is very important.
However, you should also learn to play with a metronome as it is essential to a strong rhythm-sense. Rhythm is something that many times you won't notice yourself if your a little off, but the metronome is always right.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Fact: listening/hearing is the single most important skill a musician can have.

Anybody who argues otherwise has never played in a band or ensemble.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
i never learned on a metronome and i play fine. but i'm awesome. it prob would have saved a lot of time tbh.....same as real lessons instead of friends teaching me then me learning more on my own....yeah.....if u want to play and be on time and in key......learn scales and some basic theory. otherwise u might sound like fail and i'll prob make fun of you.
Quote by alias1347
i never learned on a metronome and i play fine. but i'm awesome. it prob would have saved a lot of time tbh.....same as real lessons instead of friends teaching me then me learning more on my own....yeah.....if u want to play and be on time and in key......learn scales and some basic theory. otherwise u might sound like fail and i'll prob make fun of you.

You are already making fun of yourself -- unless you are being sarcastic, which is highly possible.

If the TS gets enjoyment and satisfaction from playing along with a recording then he is creating music and learning his instrument.

TS -- do what you like ... the guitar is not some exotic scientific instrument with power to altar life on earth as we know it if mishandled -- tough the guitar IS and has altered life on earth as we know it. One does not need any special education or pedigree to play. One does not need lessons for large amounts of cash -- you just need a guitar and ears.

As you get deeper into your instrument you may discover that you want to learn more about how music works and why certain things sound good to you ... that is fine. But keep playing!
Quote by alias1347

Cool story bro.

Back under your bridge, now...

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Cool story bro.

Back under your bridge, now...

Sean

I see what you did there....

But yes, listening is very important. I always listen first, several times. Once without looking at the music, once with the music, and once just trying to fret, then I actually play.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by Patrunjel
Hi everyone. First of all, if I posted in the wrong sub-forum I am apologising right now

I got myself a guitar 2 weeks ago ( a approximately 100$ Harley Benton), and I started playing. And here is my problem. If I see some tabs, even if I have the measures above the tabs, I still can't really get the song to sound right, not even with a metronome, I can't keep the measure. But if I listen to the song, I just know how long to keep every note.
The problem is that I don't know if this is a bad thing and I should start practising more with the metronome, or it is just a newbie thing and I will get used to it?

*I don't plan on becoming some sort of rockstar, I just do it for fun and have no knowledge in music at all (seriously, nothing at all ) )

Based on where you want to go with your playing I would highly recommend getting Guitar Pro. Its awesome for just playing back little bits of tab and slowing them down so you can play them just right.

With the metronome thing, I find it really difficult to learn a song with a metronome from scratch. I think the pressure of keeping time playing something thats not completely locked into to my memory is a little much for me. I find it much easier to just play the piece over and over until its second nature and i can play it at roughly the right speed and the use a metronome to refine it and get it perfect.
Quote by Patrunjel

Of course it's not a bad thing, you should absolutely be listening to every song you want to play, in fact merely listening isn't really enough...ideally you should KNOW every song you want to learn to play.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com