I am having intonation issues with an Epiphone LP Custom. I have changed the nut to a TUSQ XL and I have also replace the stock Grovers with Kluson Locking tuners. The guitar stays in tune just fine. Just seems like I am constantly setting and resetting my intonation. The neck isn't bowed or back-bowed or perfectly straight. I know it is just an Epiphone but i LOVE this guitar! I have put a lot of time and heart into this guitar. So please keep your "buy a Gibson" comments to yourself. If I could afford a Gibson, I would have one. So...Anyone else with the same issue with this guitar or any other guitar for that matter and anyone with suggestions?? Thanks a ton UG
Epiphone Les Paul Custom(antique white, SD hot rod set zebra, no pickguard)
ESP LTD EC401(tobacco sunburst, SD Distortion pups)
Epiphone EJ 200(sunburst)
Fender DG100(natural)
Applause Strat (copy red)
Digitech RP500
Boss TU2 Tuner
you tried messing with the bridge height + truss rod, that usually does it
Is it only one string or all strings? How long ago did you make all of the changes you mentioned? Could you tell us how you checked and adjusted your intonation?

If you are pressing to hard on the string at the 12th fret when you are checking the intonation, it can throw off your adjustments.
Quote by mr7string

How would a truss rod adjustment fix an intonation issue? Truss rod adjustments should only be made to correct an issue with the neck, which it does not appear he has.
It seems to be a slight adjustment to most if not all strings. I had the nut upgraded last year around this time and the tuners I have just changed a month ago. As far as checking intonation, a simple tuner, open string to pressing down at the 12th fret. I am a heavy picker but I don't push hard on the strings. Also, my LP is a 2007 model with the locking bridge and tailpiece. Not an upgrade.
Fender DG100(natural)
Digitech RP500
Boss TU2 Tuner
I wouldn't worry about it if they are only slightly off. There are a lot of conditions, such as temperature and humidity, that can slightly affect tuning and intonation.

If it's off by enough for you to hear while playing then thats another story.

The intonation on my Gibson LP will vary slightly from one day to the next. I can't hear it, but if I hook up a tuner and check it I can see that it is slightly off.
Understandable. I usually notice it more when I play open chords. You can hear the chord out of tune...slight, but I can be picky lol My guitar has changed climates a few times in the last month, so that could be the problem. Thanks for the help and advice!
Fender DG100(natural)
Digitech RP500
Boss TU2 Tuner
You do know that strings rapidly lose the ability to intonate properly after being put on the guitar right? If you're practicing a few hours a day and you play hard you might just be wearing your strings out fast.
Hmmm...never thought of that either...I do play heavy for quite a few a hours a day...
Fender DG100(natural)
Digitech RP500
Boss TU2 Tuner
Yeah, you're probably just tearing through the strings. Take it as a sign of all the effort you put in and just resign yourself to changing strings every Saturday.
Quote by cnemi22
Understandable. I usually notice it more when I play open chords. You can hear the chord out of tune...slight, but I can be picky lol My guitar has changed climates a few times in the last month, so that could be the problem. Thanks for the help and advice!

Possibly your nut slots need to be deepened. It would have exactly this effect if they are cut too high.
Quote by mr7string

please.. if you know nothing about setups, don't post advice about setups. if anyone listens to what you said they'll probably **** up their guitar badly.

i'm gonna agree with razbo, intonation problems with open chords usually means the nut slots are cut too high so you're having to push the string down further and bend it a bit too much. if the fretted notes are always sounding sharp it's probably either because the nut slots aren't deep enough, or you're just pressing down too hard.

bare in mind that a guitar will never be 100% accurately intonated unless you've got a compensated nut and those "true temprament" frets - the notes in the chromatic scale don't actually go up in exactly even steps like they do on a guitar.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.