Well, ive been playing for about 5 years now, and i'd like to think im pretty decent at guitar. However the one area where i want to improve on is my soloing/improv skills. I am very technically capable (i can sweep, sweep tap, hammers n pulls, and all the good stuff) but i seem to have trouble actually writing good sounding solos. i mean, ive written a few good ones, but im nothing compared to Jeff Loomis, paul gilbert, mike keen, ryan knight...etc. Im looking for any good advice on bringing my soloing to the next level, as im basically stuck. I have ideas of what i want my solos to sound like and such, but i just cant get them there usually.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
I know all that^ ive been playing for a while now, i know how to. i just kinda suck at soloing, im stuck in the pentatonic for improving
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Use major, minor and modal scales. Those will definitely help you to improvise.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
thats the thing, i guess, is i know scales and such but ive heard modes arent that important for me right now, which i agree. i just dont really know how to take the scales i know and put them into badass shred fests
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Have an idea of what kind of feeling of theme you want in your songs. There's nothing worse than listening to something without emotion or even a point. If you're writing a sad song, make sure you write a solo that sounds sad. There are a lot of articles on here that will help teach you how to get that emotion in your playing. Chord tone soloing is a good start and you should be able to move on from there. Just understand that a solo isn't all about trying to play as fast as possible, just trying to continue an idea or a theme from the song. If you understand how to do that, you'll be able to include some of those technical flourishes in your playing and make it sound good.
Quote by doctorcheeze200
thats the thing, i guess, is i know scales and such but ive heard modes arent that important for me right now, which i agree. i just dont really know how to take the scales i know and put them into badass shred fests

Yep you're right - modes are probably not for you at the moment .(or rock guitarists most of the time)
Are you trying to improvise every time?

Take the solo from metallica's fade to black:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mXBbVc4Df8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwI6cW5yayw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lMdY-NzGXc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T68u3LV6AvY&feature=related

What do you notice about that intro solo in each one?
Pretty much the same?

That's because it is pretty much the same every time it's played! That solo waan't just improvved on the spot, it was thought out re-phrased and modified until it sounded perfect. When a band goes into the studio, they record over a period of weeks/months. By the time they lay those solos down they have played that song hundreds if not thousands of times. They know what does and doesn't work and can play it again and again - can you honestly say you've tried to play the same solo you've written even 100 times over?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
^ yeah i can say that, and i think they are pretty decent solos, and they fit the song they are in well. I just want to take my solos to the next level to awesomeness
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
help?
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
so you can tap, sweep tap, sweep, shred, and pretty much make faces melt.

maybe now it's time to actually learn a thing or two about music, and put technique on the back burner.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Learn the solos of people you look up to and want to play like. Cop their licks and apply to your own playing. Repeat process over and over and you will see improvement with your improvisation. Also remember to actually practice improvising. It's one thing to learn the licks and solos note for note but a completely different thing to try and apply it outside of the one song you learned it in.
Quote by doctorcheeze200
Well, ive been playing for about 5 years now, and i'd like to think im pretty decent at guitar. However the one area where i want to improve on is my soloing/improv skills. I am very technically capable (i can sweep, sweep tap, hammers n pulls, and all the good stuff) but i seem to have trouble actually writing good sounding solos. i mean, ive written a few good ones, but im nothing compared to Jeff Loomis, paul gilbert, mike keen, ryan knight...etc. Im looking for any good advice on bringing my soloing to the next level, as im basically stuck. I have ideas of what i want my solos to sound like and such, but i just cant get them there usually.

What do you know about theory?

Best,

Sean
[Scales and modes + positions of scales and modes] + good technique and articulation = WIN
Add something memorable too.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by doive

What do you notice about that intro solo in each one?
Pretty much the same?

You know, I really thought you were going to mention the minor scale at this point.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I've been having sort of the same problem, but I recently in the last year or so just increased my chops so integrating them into my already good improvising skills was a little bit easier. I'm not throwing out Bucket Head solos yet, but there is definitely some shredding involved. I think what helps is learning how to create the noise that you'd like to create by experimenting with different arpeggios over different chords, and all of that good stuff. If you start and end a sweep on a chord tone, odds are that it is going to sound good if all of the notes are in key.

I use a lot of sequences, many of my own design. That's another thing you can use. If you have a sequence you like, then begin and end it on different chord tones of the chord. Try the root, the third, and the fifth, they all have different sounds. Once you get the hang of being able to choose what you will do with your shredding, you will have a lot more options. If you are beyond this, then I don't know what to say, but that seems to be working for me, (especially the making your own sequences bit)
"Things seem pretty crummy, but if they could carry us away with them, we'd die of poetry. In a way, that wouldn't be bad." -Louis-Ferdinand Celine
with soloing with pentatonic , we tend to fall into blues type phrasing ?

what i mean is certain riffs that are repeated as the chords change underneath them.

if you want to try some correspondence lessons with me i will help you analyse staple chord progressions and build solos using arpeggio tones. once you have these in place you can embellish them with notes from a scale.
a couple of well place phrases in this way, can make you the template for a powerful guitar solo.
Quote by AeolianWolf
so you can tap, sweep tap, sweep, shred, and pretty much make faces melt.

maybe now it's time to actually learn a thing or two about music, and put technique on the back burner.

My sentiment exactly.

All the technique in the world will not make MUSIC.

Guitar is the instrument -- use it as the instrument to create music.

Technical chops are great -- for impressing other guitar players. Musical chops are where it is at.