This one may sound simple, but for a complete newbie it's not
I'm currently trying to learn a song (greensleves, whatever), and I have a difficulty reaching a fret. I must go from fret 1 of a string to fret 4 of a string above it in half a measure, on a 3/4 tempo. I don't know about you, but this is kinda fast
First of all, my pinky barely reaches the 4th fret (not every time, though, sometimes I miss ), and sometimes when it reaches there, the string gives a buzzing sound, because I'm not pressing hard enough.

You guys got some tips on how can I work on it? Like finger weight-lifting or something, to make my pinky and ring finger strenghty, or some technique to reach far frets is short time, please?
Last edited by Patrunjel at May 21, 2011,
To get better at playing guitar, you play guitar. To get better at using your pinky when playing guitar, use your pinky more when playing guitar.

+ make sure you're warmed up before playing

Fairly sure the above should cover it!
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
If you can't reach with your pinky you can try some stretching exercises like : ---1-----3----5-- with your first finger on 1 second finger on 3 and pinky on 5.. if this is too far you can change the fret numbers like ---1----2----4 or something. Another thing I'd recommend is a position shifting exercise. A good one is trying to play a pentatonic scale with only one finger so you have to shift for every note. and like the guy above said; use your pinky, it will help a lot.
do this every day, 15 minutes a day, after you go up, go 1 fret higher (2-3-4-5) and back down, its tab by the way. so E|-1 is first fret low E. d|-4 is 4th fret d string etc.
e|-------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-
b|---------------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------
g|-----------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------
d|--------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------
a|----------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------
E|1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------
and go back down. alternate pick it all (down up down up) and play it as slow as possible to make the notes as clear as possible, if its not very clear or if there's some buzz, play it slower, there 16th notes so 4 for 1 beat. even if you have to play at 20bpm to get it cleanly, do that, you'll thank yourself in the future. also do it with a metronome to maintain consistency. dont allow yourself to play it sloppily, play it to perfection each time. dont jump in at 120bpm, take it easy and in a couple months or years you probably will be at 120bpm if you did this every day.
Slow the song down and practice it at half speed and work your speed up.
In addition, you could also work on your finger muscles by putting elastic bands around the pinky to index and stretching them out (kinda like the vulcan sign).
Been away, am back
You don't need strong fingers to play, if you're positioned correctly, you don't need much fingering pressure at all to make a note sound.

Reach development exercises will help but ultimately, you'll want to aim for good left hand positioning and knowing how to balance and control the pressure you exert onto the strings.
Find the same note on the string below above it...
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
How to reach far away tabs?

"Go go Gadget arm!"

OT

Quote by LolCatGuitar
do this every day, 15 minutes a day, after you go up, go 1 fret higher (2-3-4-5) and back down, its tab by the way. so E|-1 is first fret low E. d|-4 is 4th fret d string etc.
e|-------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-
b|---------------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------
g|-----------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------
d|--------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------
a|----------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------
E|1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------
and go back down. alternate pick it all (down up down up) and play it as slow as possible to make the notes as clear as possible, if its not very clear or if there's some buzz, play it slower, there 16th notes so 4 for 1 beat. even if you have to play at 20bpm to get it cleanly, do that, you'll thank yourself in the future. also do it with a metronome to maintain consistency. dont allow yourself to play it sloppily, play it to perfection each time. dont jump in at 120bpm, take it easy and in a couple months or years you probably will be at 120bpm if you did this every day.

Do what LolCatGuitar said. Also I would recommend doing things such as

e|-------------------------------------------------1-3-4-5-
b|---------------------------------------1-3-4-5-----------
g|------------------------------1-3-4-5--------------------
d|--------------------1-3-4-5------------------------------
a|----------1-3-4-5----------------------------------------
E|1-3-4-5--------------------------------------------------

or

e|-------------------------------------------------1-2-3-5-
b|---------------------------------------1-2-3-5-----------
g|-----------------------------1-2-3-5---------------------
d|--------------------1-2-3-5------------------------------
a|----------1-2-3-5----------------------------------------
E|1-2-3-5--------------------------------------------------

Just making larger gaps between frets. Takes a while for beginners to get 'good' with but helps in the long run.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.