so im using a mid to late 90's peavey studio pro 112 transtube. when im playing, sometimes i shift position and no sound comes out of it all of a sudden. i dont know if this is the cable itself or the input on the amp. if its the amp im screwed because my family is poor right now and we have barely any money to fix anything... what do you think it is?
Here's what I'd do -

First, switch cables and see if you can replicate this symptom. If you can, then the cable is likely not the issue (unless both cables are bad...).

Then, I'd check to see if the issue is the output jack of your guitar - more than likely it would come loose or go bad before the amps input jack. You can wiggle the cable near the guitar input and see if this makes the sound cut out...this would confirm the source as your guitar's jack. I had this happen to my first Ibanez and once I tightened it, it worked great.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Id lean towards the cable but it could also be the guitars input or the amps input jack all three are cheap fixes.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
Id lean towards the cable but it could also be the guitars input or the amps input jack all three are cheap fixes.

just what kind of cheap are we talking?
$10 bucks if you can replace it yourself. $20-40 for a tech
If its just a cable $5
Test the cables first.
You could possibly spray the input jacks of both your guitar and amp with some deoxit your amps input could be heavily oxidated which would cause similar symptoms.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at May 21, 2011,
Quote by slipknot_420
$10 bucks if you can replace it yourself. $20-40 for a tech
If its just a cable $5
Test the cables first.
You could possibly spray the input jacks of both your guitar and amp with some deoxit your amps input could be heavily oxidated which would cause similar symptoms.

how do you replace it yourself?
i have tried both my guitars and same thing for both so i know it is either the amp input or the cable
Ive never replaced one myself one of my good freinds is my tech.
Maybe post in guitar building and customizing they can prob help you more than me.
Does it cut out when you wiggle the cable in the amps input?
Or does it cut out when you play around with the cables?
How olds your cable what kind of cable is it? you dont have an extra cable to test?
I personally would buy a cable before even if its not the cable its nice to have extras.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
Ive never replaced one myself one of my good freinds is my tech.
Maybe post in guitar building and customizing they can prob help you more than me.
Does it cut out when you wiggle the cable in the amps input?
Or does it cut out when you play around with the cables?
How olds your cable what kind of cable is it? you dont have an extra cable to test?
I personally would buy a cable before even if its not the cable its nice to have extras.

i dont know i tightened the jacks on my guitar and amp and now its not really working at all. the cable came with my first guitar i got a year ago used from my neighbor. i dont know how long he had the cable though. its probably some crappy kind because its all plastic-looking.