Hey everyone!

I've been playing guitar for about 1-2 years right now. At the moment, I am playing on a Yamaha EG112 electric guitar plugged in a Fender Frontman 25R. Since i like playing hard rock / alternative rock i'd like to buy a new guitar cause the yamaha pickups suck..
I play songs from bands like Alter Bridge, Foo Fighters and My chemical romance so i need some heavy distortion.
My budget is $400 - $1000.
I was thinking about an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Honestly, don't get an epiphone. Since you're willing to spend a thousand dollars, you should look into ESPs, or maybe get the Gibson SG Faded. Or even a higher end Schecter.
I hate to be "that" guy, but you need a new amp
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
I wouldn't get the epiphone if you can spend that much. I honestly think the SG faded is your best bet, although ESP make some lovely guitars.
I have the SG faded, and it outplays pretty much all guitars I've played in that price range, and even played better than a couple of top of the range les pauls I've played (at least to me)
Your best bet would be to try as many out as you can though.
Where are you located?

Quote by DamagingExcess

Also, this. Your sound comes primarily from your amp, rather than your guitar. Not that your guitar isn't important, because it is, but it's (vaguely) a 80/20 split. The amp being the 80 when it comes to tone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 21, 2011,
Allright thanks guys!

I might wait another year or so with buying my new guitar. Now i life on the netherland antilles where guitars get worn out pretty fast cause of the weather conditions. So when i move back to holland i think i will buy a PRS or a SG faded

and also when i move back to holland i will need a new amp because the one i got now doesn't work on hollands 230v power. So i think maybe a Fender Frontman 212r.
Last edited by Stereohead at May 21, 2011,
Second guy was right,get a new amp

Oh,and give the PRS Tremonti SE a try-bloes Epiphone LP out of the water IMO.
New amp is definite. Go for a good tube amp and you'll never need to change it unless you begin to gig in some big concerts!

Guitar:
Gibson Les Paul Studio (Goldy)
Fender American Stratocaster (Blacky)

Amplifier:
Orange Dual Terror Head W/ Orange 1 x 12 Cab
Vox Valvetronix VT30

Pedals/Extras:
BOSS ME-70
BOSS Micro BR

Youtube: DaveTheOriginal
I think i will save up for a PRS SE Tremonti,
Since i play a lot of songs by Tremonti and i love his style of playing i think this guitar will do the job,

What would be a suitable amplifier for a guitar such as the SE tremonti?
The Yamaha was my first electric guitar, and I don't like playing it. However, I've got an Epi Les Paul standard now and I love the hell out of it. It's still a great guitar and some people say it comes close to a Gibson. All personal taste.
Quote by Stereohead
Ok i underestimated the price of the SE tremonti a bit :P it's $2530 :P

You were definitely looking at the normal PRS Tremonti. The Se is something like 530 dollars
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by DamagingExcess

+1

Based on the budget I'd say at least 2 dollars maybe 3 towards a guitar and at least a 1/4 or more towards a new amp.

IMHO the most versatile amps on the market are the Vox VT+ series.Depending on weather you're gigging or not either the VT20+ or VT40+ should suit your needs.

Without getting all Vox rep sounding. The latest generation of Vox Valvetronix amps are pretty much the best bang for the buck amps right now.

Getting a VT40+ would get you into a much better amp than you have.

Even after that purchase you would still have over $700 for a new axe

IMHO for you're playing style the Epiphone might not be the best choice.

You'll get more bang for the buck out of LTD(ESP) or Schecter.

I'm all about getting a full kit that's versatile and decent quality without going over budget.

Don't get me wrong an all tube amp sounds great but getting a decent sounding one and some stomp boxes or a multi-effects processor such as a Vox Tonelab or Line 6 POD. Could eat your budget in record time leaving you nothing for your new axe.

Just my 2¢

EDIT:

The VT+ series of modeling amps have pretty much the features and controls as the Vox Tonelab ST.

So if and when the time comes when you decide to get an all tube amp. It's an easy transition form a VT+ amp to a Tonelab ST
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at May 21, 2011,
Quote by Stereohead
and also when i move back to holland i will need a new amp because the one i got now doesn't work on hollands 230v power. So i think maybe a Fender Frontman 212r.

Oh God NO

Don't get any kind of Fender Frontman amp. They're not good for anything with distortion, especially not the bands you're looking at. I swear the Fender Frontman is the worst amp I've ever played through and I've tried a Marshall MG!!!! Nevertheless, everybody here is right, the amp is 80% of your tone so get that first.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by DamagingExcess
You were definitely looking at the normal PRS Tremonti. The Se is something like 530 dollars

Can you tell me the difference between a Normal PRS tremonti and a SE trmonti?
Is the SE tremonti a good guitar or should i buy something else?
Quote by Stereohead
Can you tell me the difference between a Normal PRS tremonti and a SE trmonti?
Is the SE tremonti a good guitar or should i buy something else?

The SE is the budget line.. Last I remember they were made in Korea but I know a lot of companies have been moving from Korea to China or Indonesia. I can't say for sure about PRS, though.

As far as I know, regular PRS are all made in the USA.
Quote by Willowthewitch
+1

Based on the budget I'd say at least 2 dollars maybe 3 towards a guitar and at least a 1/4 or more towards a new amp.

IMHO the most versatile amps on the market are the Vox VT+ series.Depending on weather you're gigging or not either the VT20+ or VT40+ should suit your needs.

Without getting all Vox rep sounding. The latest generation of Vox Valvetronix amps are pretty much the best bang for the buck amps right now.

Getting a VT40+ would get you into a much better amp than you have.

Even after that purchase you would still have over $700 for a new axe

IMHO for you're playing style the Epiphone might not be the best choice.

You'll get more bang for the buck out of LTD(ESP) or Schecter.

I'm all about getting a full kit that's versatile and decent quality without going over budget.

Don't get me wrong an all tube amp sounds great but getting a decent sounding one and some stomp boxes or a multi-effects processor such as a Vox Tonelab or Line 6 POD. Could eat your budget in record time leaving you nothing for your new axe.

Just my 2¢

EDIT:

The VT+ series of modeling amps have pretty much the features and controls as the Vox Tonelab ST.

So if and when the time comes when you decide to get an all tube amp. It's an easy transition form a VT+ amp to a Tonelab ST

Thanks a lot man!

So if i'm right

If i buy this amp:

http://www.musicstore.de/nl_NL/NLG/VOX-VT20-Valvetronix-Combo-/art-GIT0020199-000

and this guitar:

http://www.musicstore.de/nl_NL/NLG/Paul-Reed-Smith-SE-Tremonti-BK-Black/art-GIT0004543-001

I will be able to play songs from bands like alter bridge and have some heavy distortion.

For now i am still a bedroom player, I'm not playing in a band but when i move back to holland in a year or so i might start a band. So the VT20 will provide enough sound i think